jynxNdragnfly

Random CR1 Questions

13 posts in this topic

So I'm still on my fact finding mission so I have all my ducks in a row when it comes time to file for my CR1 so just a few random questions to those who have filed for the same:

1. What did you use to prove a family relationship?

I am getting some friends as well as family to write affidavits on our behalf. Basically the ones who will be at our wedding ceremony. Other than that I'm at a loss since we don't own or lease property together (kinda confusing since I'm not allowed to live there till they let me????? Though I could get him to put me on his house as soon we're married but I thought this might cause problems on my weekend trips over there since I would 'technically' own a residence in the US where I'm not yet 'legally' allowed to live.) and we don't share a bank account in either country since it's a royal pain in the behind to do so.

2. When it says copies do they mean just plain ole straight from the photocopier copies? Or do they mean certified copies (which to me means signed copies by a lawyer or notary stating that the original was seen by them and that the copy conforms to the original)?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and on the form it asks last address at which we lived together. We've never lived together. Is that gonna be a problem???

Edited by jynxNdragnfly

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

July-07-07 - Married in Las Vegas

August-07-08 - CR-1 Visa activated

July-17-10 - Approval notice in mail, Conditions removed

So I'm gonna bump this up just to see if anyone can help :)

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you're filing the I-130, marriage certificate, wedding photos and letters from family should suffice for now. It's understandable that you don't have joint stuff yet since you're living apart. Throw some phone bills and boarding passes/itineraries in there as well. Next time you're there, how about opening up a joint bank account together instead of tacking you both on to existing ones.

As for "copies", photocopies for the petitions are fine. You don't need "original" certified copies until later.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not recall sending in any type of relationship evidence such as pics or anythign at all!! i could be wrong!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I didn't have to either but they changed the forms earlier this year.

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Filed: Timeline
I didn't have to either but they changed the forms earlier this year.

We were not requested to present any of that stuff when filing our DCF I-130- only marriage certificate. For the interview I will bring some pics of wedding and vacations, as well as our joint bank accounts.

Regular photocopies are OK, as long as you also present the original document at the interview. That is a must.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Timeline

Yup, the checklist will tell you to bring the originals for the interview but photocopies are fine when filing the initial I-130 with USCIS... Unless they request the originals with an RFE which sometimes they do.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Timeline
So I'm still on my fact finding mission so I have all my ducks in a row when it comes time to file for my CR1 so just a few random questions to those who have filed for the same:

1. What did you use to prove a family relationship?

I am getting some friends as well as family to write affidavits on our behalf. Basically the ones who will be at our wedding ceremony. Other than that I'm at a loss since we don't own or lease property together (kinda confusing since I'm not allowed to live there till they let me????? Though I could get him to put me on his house as soon we're married but I thought this might cause problems on my weekend trips over there since I would 'technically' own a residence in the US where I'm not yet 'legally' allowed to live.) and we don't share a bank account in either country since it's a royal pain in the behind to do so.

2. When it says copies do they mean just plain ole straight from the photocopier copies? Or do they mean certified copies (which to me means signed copies by a lawyer or notary stating that the original was seen by them and that the copy conforms to the original)?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and on the form it asks last address at which we lived together. We've never lived together. Is that gonna be a problem???

jynxNdragnfly,

I filed in February and so was required to send the proof of relationship stuff (the I-130 had been revised in January). I sent copies of tickets stubs and flight itineraries, copies of the insides of wedding congrats cards that people had sent, copies of phone bills showing us talking constantly!, copies of a joint bank account, and copies of my car title that I had added him to.

I was able to add him to my plain old bank account here in the states without him having a SSN by giving the bank a signed copy of an IRS form W-8BEN which is 'Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding'. They had no problem taking that in lieu of a SSN or tax identification number. Also, since I had my title for my car, I just took it in and had it retitled with his name on it. They didn't need anything but my title and my drivers license, though that may vary from state to state.

I also sent some pictures, but we were limited there since we haven't had that many visits.

Probably some of this was overkill, but I just wanted to be sure! I would say the affidavits are definitely a great idea.

Plain photo copies is all I sent. As for the last address lived together on the I-130, I put 'None' and didn't have any problems.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas. Good luck!

Edited by CoMelly

aflag6.gifCanada-03-june.gif

Melissa & Josh

I-130 for CR-1 @CSC

02.01.07 :-: Mailed to NSC.

02.02.07 :-: Received by NSC.

02.08.07 :-: NOA1 from CSC.

04.19.07 :-: NOA2.

I-130 for CR-1 @NVC

05.01.07 :-: NVC assigned case number.

05.21.07 :-: DS3032 and AOS Bill generated.

05.22.07 :-: E-mailed Choice of Agent.

05.24.07 :-: Choice of Agent e-mail accepted.

05.28.07 :-: IV Bill generated.

05.29.07 :-: AOS Bill received/paid.

06.11.07 :-: I-864 generated.

06.14.07 :-: IV Bill received/paid.

06.25.07 :-: DS-230 generated.

06.26.07 :-: I-864 received/sent.

07.14.07 :-: DS-230 received/sent.

07.30.07 :-: Case complete.

10.09.07 :-: Hubby got medical in anticipation of interview.

10.17.07 :-: Email from NVC with interview date!!

10.19.07 :-: Case forwarded to Montreal.

10.22.07 :-: Interview letter received.

12.6.07 :-: INTERVIEW!!!

Timeline

Just thought of one more thing we did that might be fairly simple for you as well. We both added each other as 'spouse' and/or beneficiary in our work stuff (e.g., health insurance, retirement, life insurance, etc.) and provided copies of that stuff as well. Obviously we don't have coverage on each other's health insurance since we're not in the same country, but, in my case, I added my husband to my information and than just declined coverage, but he still shows up on my work health stuff as my spouse. You may want to look into something like that if you're wanting something simple to do.

aflag6.gifCanada-03-june.gif

Melissa & Josh

I-130 for CR-1 @CSC

02.01.07 :-: Mailed to NSC.

02.02.07 :-: Received by NSC.

02.08.07 :-: NOA1 from CSC.

04.19.07 :-: NOA2.

I-130 for CR-1 @NVC

05.01.07 :-: NVC assigned case number.

05.21.07 :-: DS3032 and AOS Bill generated.

05.22.07 :-: E-mailed Choice of Agent.

05.24.07 :-: Choice of Agent e-mail accepted.

05.28.07 :-: IV Bill generated.

05.29.07 :-: AOS Bill received/paid.

06.11.07 :-: I-864 generated.

06.14.07 :-: IV Bill received/paid.

06.25.07 :-: DS-230 generated.

06.26.07 :-: I-864 received/sent.

07.14.07 :-: DS-230 received/sent.

07.30.07 :-: Case complete.

10.09.07 :-: Hubby got medical in anticipation of interview.

10.17.07 :-: Email from NVC with interview date!!

10.19.07 :-: Case forwarded to Montreal.

10.22.07 :-: Interview letter received.

12.6.07 :-: INTERVIEW!!!

Timeline

We filed our I-130 in late-March, so we included information about our relationship. Regular photocopies are just fine, for now. We wanted to include plenty of evidence that our relationship is bona fide, without overwhelming the reviewer. We wrote a two-page summary of our visits that included pictures of us with our respective families and friends, and us from our vacations together. We also included two months of phone bills, copies of a few postcards we exchanged, and copies of airline or train tickets. We also included an affidavit from my friend who witnessed the wedding and a brief summary of the wedding, including photos and copies of our wedding licence fee receipt and the receipt from our rings purchase. For what we could get jointly, we send evidence that we are co-mingling finances and naming each other as beneficiaries.

No NOA2 yet, and we haven't been "touched" since NOA1. I was hoping to at least get "touched" by now!

:) Lady Jane

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Thanks for all of the tips and ideas. The proof of visits might be a tough one since I just drive over all the time. I'm wondering if maybe I give them a copy of my nexus card if they can look up the number and see all of my entries. Not sure if that's possible but may be worth a go. So after reading all of the responses it looks like my hope of getting the I130 in the mail right after we get back from the honeymoon won't happen LOL Looks like it may take a few weeks to get some things changed over.

For those still journeying good luck!

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

Timeline

I think a copy of your nexus card is worth a shot. :) Maybe you can just summarise on the copy approximately when/how often you visit and for how long.

AOS & EAD Timeline

Hmmmm...... That would be a long read LOL Unless I sum it up with 'I've visited every friday, leaving every monday since march 2006 with an overnight visit here and there during the week and sometimes a week or two vacation over summer or christmas' If they could get their hands on my nexus record I'd be laughing though it is techinally only proof that I've entered the US not that I was seeing him. Sometimes it sucks working for government dealing with other governments. You already know how weird they think LOL

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.