LKC

After I-130 Approval

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very confused. I am a US citizen and live in London and had to file the I-130 at the London embassy. I recently received back the approval of Form I-130. Am I supposed to wait to receive a packet to complete? (how long does that take) Or am I supposed to file form I-129.

Please help I am so confused and I just want to keep the process moving.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks - LKC

Very confused. I am a US citizen and live in London and had to file the I-130 at the London embassy. I recently received back the approval of Form I-130. Am I supposed to wait to receive a packet to complete? (how long does that take) Or am I supposed to file form I-129.

Please help I am so confused and I just want to keep the process moving.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks - LKC

I'm not totally sure of the answer to your question, as I'm only halfway through the process myself. However, having read other posts, I think at this point you wouldn't want to file an I-129F (K-3 spouse visa) as filing for IR-1/CR-1 (immigrant visa) in London is quicker, cheaper, and less hassle. Although the complication may come if you put on the I-130 that you were going to file for an AOS (adjustment of status) in answer to Q22 on the I-130. If you put down that you were going to apply for the visa in London then that's fine. If, however, you put that you were going to file for an AOS in the States then that might change the situation. Do you remember what you put on the form?

Again from reading other posts, it appears that you receive your packet 3 a few days after your I-130 gets approved. So, I'd say hold on for a few days and see what comes in the post. Then you want to send back your DS-230-I as soon as possible, to start the visa processing. There's a bunch of information you have to collect for the interview (including police certificates -- have you already sent for these)?

I'd suggest re-posting this in the DCF (Direct consular filing) forum as the whole "K-3 or IR-1" is a common question and there are lots of people who understand the process much better than me, but I think you'll find that if you apply for an IR-1 then you'll have your visa within 2-3 months from now. If you apply for a K-3 then it'll probably take a lot longer.

Hope this helps,

Tim

London DCF Timeline

7th Sept 06: Married in Half Moon Bay, California

8th March 07: Sent I-130

15th March 07: Received NOA1 (via email)

1st May 07: Applied for Police Certificate

31st May 07: Received NOA2

8th June 07: Received Packet 3

8th June 07: Received Police Certificate

11th June 07: Returned Packet 3

27th June 07: Received Packet 4

2nd July 07: Medical in London

21st August 07: Interview at London Embassy (approved!!!)

22nd August 07: Text received by courier service to tell me the visa is on its way

23rd August 07: Visa & MBE (mysterious brown envelope) received

17th September 07: Flying to Boston, MA

20th August 09: Applied for removal of conditions (form I-751)

26th August 09: Received NOA and notification that my conditional residence status was extended for one year.

15th December 09: Received letter approving my removal of conditions.

31st December 09: Received new green card (IR-1)

16th December 10: Mailed N-400 to Texas Lockbox

24th January 11: Biometrics Testing in Boston

21st April 11: Naturalization Interview - Passed!!

16th June 11: Oath Ceremony in Boston

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.