Earmuffs

Fingerprints

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do I need fingerprints for my interview? I emailed the consulate and they told me i just need a police record check. The RCMP did that at their station. I can never seem to get a straight answer from anyone at the police station or the consulate. If I do need the certified criminal record check from Ottawa that takes 4 months or longer and every thing I have including my medical will expire!!!!!!!!! and I'll have to basically start all over again. Im located in a a small northern Alberta city and have to travel 5 hours to do any of this #######.

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Only people who have a criminal record need to get fingerprinted at the RCMP for their police check... otherwise you should be fine. The consulate shouldn't require fingerprints - I know the Vancouver consulate didn't ask for them. :)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree ... :thumbs:

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you do have a criminal record, and only need to get a hold of fingerprints now, I got mine done same-day at the local police station in Victoria.

(I don't have a criminal record, but thought I needed the fingerprinting done just to get the record check.)

There is a few other places probably closer to you that can do fingerprinting as well.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

i can get them same day but getting the record check takes months and since i have a record im worried i need it. I have everything else and that will totally screw me over if i have to start all over again because they couldn't clarify what i needed.

AOS Timeline

Timeline
i can get them same day but getting the record check takes months and since i have a record im worried i need it. I have everything else and that will totally screw me over if i have to start all over again because they couldn't clarify what i needed.

Oh ok, gotcha. I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry, so sending away for it now couldn't hurt. It seems that different CO's have different ideas of who needs what when it comes interview time, so I really don't think anyone could give you a definite answer on whether they will ask for one. If worse comes to worst and you do need one, at least you'll have the process started instead of having to start at square one. If it makes you feel any better, Stacey33 sent away for hers and had it in her hands in about 6 weeks.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Oh ok, gotcha. I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry, so sending away for it now couldn't hurt. It seems that different CO's have different ideas of who needs what when it comes interview time, so I really don't think anyone could give you a definite answer on whether they will ask for one. If worse comes to worst and you do need one, at least you'll have the process started instead of having to start at square one. If it makes you feel any better, Stacey33 sent away for hers and had it in her hands in about 6 weeks.

yeah i think i will go in Tuesday and get that started..

my biggest problem is i work on a oil and gas rig on a 3 weeks on and 1 week off rotation, so I only have one week to go and do whatever it is i need. Can be a pain especially since everything i need involves traveling to Edmonton.

AOS Timeline

My husband had a DUI in the late 80's. For his K-1 interview in Vancouver, he had to get a certified copy of the court record. The consulate gave us conflicting answers on whether we needed fingerprints. He had already got the RCMP check which basically said that he did have a charge but it was not specific to the charge. The RCMP told us that the only way to get records of the charges (besides court records) was to get fingerprints. So, my husband did his at the RCMP station, and they were sent off. Then we found out that there was a backlog and fingerprints were taking in excess of 5 months. Trust me, I know the panic you are feeling now :) I posted on VJ and people suggested that he go to the Commissionaires. They do digital fingerprints that are supposed to significantly cut down on the wait time (as compared to old fashioned ink prints). Back in January, the gentleman at the Commissionaires told us that their wait time was 4-6 weeks. Still not fantastic, but much better than > 5months.

By the way, he was not asked for fingerprints at his interview (which was good since we didn't have them by then). However, I am the type to err on the side of caution and would suggest you get your prints done ASAP.

Here is a link to the Commissionaires. Looks like they have several locations in Alberta. Maybe one will be closer than Edmonton. Good luck!

http://www.commissionaires.ca/index.html

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

NO criminal record = NO fingerprinting

Criminal record = Fingerprinting

Seen a few people waste their time gfetting fingerprints when they do not require them!! The bachground check (canada wide) is normally the easiest document to get. And it doesnt have to be done by the RCMP, one can goto the local police (if they offer the service) and as long as it is canada wide (cpik system) ur good to go. Others have got it done in Edmonton with no problems, didnt take them months!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yup, everyone is correct here. No criminal background, no fingerprints required, just a Canada wide background check (i.e., name check against the National crime bank or whatever it is called). In a moment of panic, I even emailed Vancouver about it before my interview. Here was their official response to me:

"Since you do not have any criminal record, you are not required to do fingerprints. The clearance you received suffice the requirement of RCMP clearance. Thank you."

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Earmuffs, I had to go through the fingerprint process with the RCMP and they do take a long time, I think it took me close to 79 days regardless of their saying 4 to 6 months. The reason I am writing is that even thought I said on the forms that I had a record the RCMP said I didn’t have one and the reason for that was I got a pardon 10 years ago.

You say you have a record; did you get a pardon for your charge? If you did you may want to call the Consulate and see if you can get by with a copy of the pardon and name check only.

The following is the name of a person that may be able to help you get a copy of your pardon if you have one as I was told by the consulate that since I was convicted of an offence and it was pardoned I would need a copy of the pardon also.

Jan Cleary

Clemency and Pardons Division

National Parole Board

410 Laurier Avenue West

Ottawa, ON K1A 0R1

1-800-874-2652

The above will supply you with your file number if you don’t know it.

I would say forget about having to start over, get in touch with the Consulate and tell them that getting the background certificate is taking a long time and they should give you the extension required as they do receive updates from the RCMP regarding the time required to process requests.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Timeline

no I don't have a pardon. I have all my court papers so if i dont have the fingerprints by my interview, I'm hoping ill luck out and be ok.

AOS Timeline

Timeline

wow they actually have one in Grande Prairie, first time i haven had to go to edmonton for something.

AOS Timeline

Timeline

wow they actually have one in Grande Prairie, first time i haven had to go to edmonton for something.

nope i was wrong gonna have to go to Edmonton but who knows when that will be.

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.