kkcman

Does my finance have to leave the US when her B1/B2 tourist visa expires?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this question, but I couldn't find a forum that fit this question....

My fiance is coming to visit me in the US. However, her B1/B2 tourist visa expires in late June of this year. When she visited me one month ago (and every other time she came the last few years), they approved her for a 6 month stay, which is clearly AFTER her tourist visa expires. Based on this, I am under the impression that as long as the visa has not expired at the time you enter the US, it is ok. Even if the visa expires while in the US, you are ok as long as you do not overstay the time period you were approved for when you first entered the US.

Is this assumption correct? I've searched around and could not find a definitive answer to this question.

I-485 (AOS)

12/25/07: Entered US through San Francisco

01/25/08: Legal marriage ceremony

02/27/08: Filed I-485, I-131

03/06/08: NOA for I-485 and I-131

03/27/08: Biometrics appointment

04/11/08: RFE? - Had to redo biometrics because of unreadable fingerprints

04/18/08: 2nd biometrics appointment

05/08/08: Received AP in mail

06/27/08: Interview appointment received in mail

08/13/08: Interview appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Google Search: 1-94 expiration visa

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1298.html

The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in the U.S., given to you by the U.S. immigration inspector at port-of-entry, on the Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, or I-94W for the Visa Waiver Program. The visa expiration date has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in the U.S. for any given visit

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

What kitkat wrote is 100% correct. The dates on the visa are simply the times of validity that you can apply at the point of entry for permission to enter the USA. The dates that you need to be concerned with once you are inside the USA are the dates stamped on the I-94.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.