Tajoumaru

Me (U.S. Citizen) planning to marry international student w/F1 Visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Let me explain the situation, using handy bullet points:

• I am a U.S. citizen; my fiancée is a Japanese citizen and has been living in the U.S. since March 2003 on an F1 (Student) Visa.

• She completed her degree at the end of 2006 summer term and her Visa expires at the end of this August (2007).

• We've been planning on marrying this summer, perhaps early July.

• We both have full-time jobs, working as contractors.

• We have a substantial "nest egg" saved.

• She has had a very difficult time finding a full-time, permanent position because of the employer-based Visa sponsorship issue (i.e., few companies seem willing to sponsor these days, for whatever reason).

• We have been together for 3+ years and have several "bona fides" that can attest to the legitimacy of our relationship.

• We have no children.

• We basically live together but do not share a lease contract (we each have our own place).

• We do not have a joint banking account but would open one if necessary.

I've reviewed TONS of materials, including here and elsewhere, but it seems the more I read the more choices there are, and thus the increasing confusion. Is this a typical K1, or K3 Visa situation? If so, do we start with I-129F form, or I-130? She's been living in the same state for 4+ years and has no intention of going back to Japan unless there's no choice in the matter. We really don't want to bother with an immigration lawyer, so I came here for some help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Let me explain the situation, using handy bullet points:

• I am a U.S. citizen; my fiancée is a Japanese citizen and has been living in the U.S. since March 2003 on an F1 (Student) Visa.

• She completed her degree at the end of 2006 summer term and her Visa expires at the end of this August (2007).

• We've been planning on marrying this summer, perhaps early July.

• We both have full-time jobs, working as contractors.

• We have a substantial "nest egg" saved.

• She has had a very difficult time finding a full-time, permanent position because of the employer-based Visa sponsorship issue (i.e., few companies seem willing to sponsor these days, for whatever reason).

• We have been together for 3+ years and have several "bona fides" that can attest to the legitimacy of our relationship.

• We have no children.

• We basically live together but do not share a lease contract (we each have our own place).

• We do not have a joint banking account but would open one if necessary.

I've reviewed TONS of materials, including here and elsewhere, but it seems the more I read the more choices there are, and thus the increasing confusion. Is this a typical K1, or K3 Visa situation? If so, do we start with I-129F form, or I-130? She's been living in the same state for 4+ years and has no intention of going back to Japan unless there's no choice in the matter. We really don't want to bother with an immigration lawyer, so I came here for some help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Provided she is not subject to the two year home residence requirement, your fiance doesn't need a visa. She's already here and entered before she was anybody's fiance. As such, she can remain and adjust status to permanent resident, provided you you marry before her visa expires.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Your fiancee can simply apply for AOS (adjustment of status) since she is already in the country. If you decide to go that route, you would have to file petition I-130 and I-485 along with all the other requested documents/forms. Your fiancee would also need a medical exam done by a civil surgeon. The guides here on VJ have helped me a lot in putting together my AOS application. Click on the following link and you will see what you have to submit with your AOS application: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

If you have any other questions, you can also pm me. I'm adjusting from F1 myself. You should post this question in the adjustment of status forum to get more answers!

Good luck!

AOS from F1 visa

05/02/2007 AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox Day 1

05/25/2007 Biometrics appointment Day 24

07/26/2007 Interview Day 86 Approved

08/06/2007 Green card received Day 97

Removal of Conditions

04/28/2009 I-751 delivered to CSC Day 1

06/27/2009 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 60

07/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 83

07/22/2009 Received card production email Day 85

07/27/2009 Received green card & approval notice Day 90

Beibehaltungsgenehmigung (BBG)

08/03/2009 Submitted application to German consulate in L.A.

11/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 109

US Citizenship

04/27/2010 Submitted N400

04/28/2010 N400 delivered Day 1

05/10/2010 Check cashed Day 12

05/13/2010 Received NOA (NOA was issued on 05/10) Day 15

05/20/2010 Received Biometrics notice Day 22

06/11/2010 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 44

06/22/2010 Online Status changed to Testing & Interview Day 55

06/23/2010 Received interview notice in the mail Day 56

07/26/2010 Interview Day 89 Approved

08/24/2010 Oath Ceremony Day 118

My card making blog: http://silkeshimazu.wordpress.com/

Yup, provided that you got engaged after your fiancee's last entry into the US, you can get married and file for AOS. If you got engaged beforehand however, getting married now and filing for AOS would be fraud, you would have to use a K-1/K-3 visa. I'm assuing that you fall into the first case.

Get married before the visa expiration, and then file for Adjustment of Status. You dont have to worry about the joint stuff until the AOS interview, but I assume you would take care of that once you're married.

keTiiDCjGVo

• 1 month later...

Hellow everyone,

My situation is similar. Came to the States on F-1, met my fiance in college. Did my one year of OPT (1 year of EAD). After OPT expired, could not get H1-B because the cap got full too soon this year. Had otherwise to leave the country so, my fiancee and I got married.

We married on June 4th and I have almost all the documents ready to file.

Now, the problem is that I have a job offer and they are, as I am, anxious to know when I would be eligible to start working.

The whole time I assumed after I file my applications with USCIS, I will be able to start immediately assuming things will go through at one point or another. Now, I have second thoughts. Trying to contact a million attorneys but they are taking forever to get back to me.

My question is, say I file my papers next week (June 25-29), how long will it be before I can start working (assuming I send in my I765 with the package)?

And could you please recommend a good lawyer in LA?

Thanks!

Entered US as F-1 Student in 08-2001 (have left and re-entered 5 times since)

06-04-07 Marriage

06-26-07 I-130, I-485, I-765 Concurrent Filing

06-27-07 Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox DAY 1

07-05-07 NOA Receipt Date for I-130, I-485, I-765 DAY 9

07-09-07 InfoPASS meeting with an Immigration officer in LA DAY 13

07-18-07 Request for Initial Evidence - Birth Certificate Copy and Translation Requested for I-485 DAY 22

08-02-07 Biometrics Appointment for I-485 and I-765 DAY 37

08-03-07 Response to request for evidence received and case processing resumed DAY 38

09-07-07 EAD card production ordered! EAD adjudicated in less than 11 weeks DAY 73

09-13-07 Notice that I-765 is approved is mailed! DAY 79

11-09-07 Interview - I-130 and I-485 approved (in a little over 4 months, amazing)! DAY 136

09-05-09 I-751 Package sent off DAY 1

09-08-09 Package received

09-11-09 Check cashed

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hellow everyone,

My situation is similar. Came to the States on F-1, met my fiance in college. Did my one year of OPT (1 year of EAD). After OPT expired, could not get H1-B because the cap got full too soon this year. Had otherwise to leave the country so, my fiancee and I got married.

Now, the problem is that I have a job offer and they are, as I am, anxious to know when I would be eligible to start working.

The whole time I assumed after I file my applications with USCIS, I will be able to start immediately assuming things will go through at one point or another. Now, I have second thoughts. Trying to contact a million attorneys but they are taking forever to get back to me.

My question is, say I file my papers next week (June 25-29), how long will it be before I can start working (assuming I send in my I765 with the package)?

Thanks!

Lawyer or not, EAD is taking about 90 days.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You need to post this in the AOS forum. We arent to that part yet.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Hellow everyone,

Thanks!

Thanks!

Entered US as F-1 Student in 08-2001 (have left and re-entered 5 times since)

06-04-07 Marriage

06-26-07 I-130, I-485, I-765 Concurrent Filing

06-27-07 Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox DAY 1

07-05-07 NOA Receipt Date for I-130, I-485, I-765 DAY 9

07-09-07 InfoPASS meeting with an Immigration officer in LA DAY 13

07-18-07 Request for Initial Evidence - Birth Certificate Copy and Translation Requested for I-485 DAY 22

08-02-07 Biometrics Appointment for I-485 and I-765 DAY 37

08-03-07 Response to request for evidence received and case processing resumed DAY 38

09-07-07 EAD card production ordered! EAD adjudicated in less than 11 weeks DAY 73

09-13-07 Notice that I-765 is approved is mailed! DAY 79

11-09-07 Interview - I-130 and I-485 approved (in a little over 4 months, amazing)! DAY 136

09-05-09 I-751 Package sent off DAY 1

09-08-09 Package received

09-11-09 Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.