Rorensu

Passport required?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your fiancee needs a passport in order to get the visa so if she already has one then she should be fine :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Hello,

Quick question?

Is a passport required for me to obtain a fiance' visa for my fiance'?

I do not have one.. She has a passport of course, but I do not.

Thanks,

Your fiancee will be fine and yes she needs a passport to leave her country and enter the U.S.

But the question everyone else will wonder is how is she your fiancee unless you proposed long distance. I guess I wonder because if you do not have a passport, how did you go see her, or was she here at some point? It is a requirement that the two of you have met physically prior to filing. Just so you know, to help clarify to others who may want to help you.

Best wishes, and good luck to both of you.

Sent I-130 & I-129F on 06/30/06 same day

I-129f sent to Chicago

I-130 sent to Neb. transf. to CSC.

I-129F Process

07/03/06 Rec. Date on I-129F

07/06/06 Notice Date on NOA1

07/09/06 I-129F Rec. in mail

I-130 Process

07/24/06 I-130 NOA1 rec'd in mail

Confirmed-Notice rec'd from CSC

07/03/06 Recd date on I-130 NOA1

07/20/06 Notice Date on NOA1

E-mail rec'd 09-29-06 I 130 APPROVED

10/17/06 NVC rec'd , awaiting case #

10/19/06 NVC gives case #

10/30/06 NVC sent DS-3032 & I-864 bill.

10/31/06 DS-3032 sent using J's s/c

10/31/06 Wife e-mails NVC agent

11/01/06 I rec'd DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill

11/07/06 NVC acccepts e-mailed agent

11/09/06 AOS Fee Bill O/N to NVC

11/13/06 NVC gnrts IV Bill

11/14/06 NVC rec'd AOS Fee Bill

11/21/06 I got IV Bill

11/22/06 IV Bill sent

11/30/06 IV Fee rec'd by NVC

12/04/06 I rec'd I-864 Pack

12/04/06 DS-230 gnrtd by NVC

12/05/06 I sent I-864

12/07/06 NVC got I-864

12/18/06 Sent DS-230 to NVC

12/20/06 DS-230 rec'd snail mail

12/21/06 E-mail from NVC, Rec'd DS-230

02/06/07 Case Complete at NVC

02/28/07 Left NVC

03/01/07 Rec'd In Manila

04/20/07 Interview..Approved & put on AR... :(

05/24/07 Visa Received

06/04/07 Rose is in the U.S. (POE.MSP)

06/10/07 Green Card Arrives in mail

06/12/07 S.S # received

04/02/07 Biometrics Complete St.Paul Office University Ave.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If the OP doesn't have a passport but his fiance does...then it means that she travelled to see him.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As part of the initial I-129F petition paperwork, you need to prove that you are a US Citizen and therefore permitted to petition for your fiance. If you don't have a passport, you can provide your birth certificate. Otherwise, there is no need for you to have a passport as related to this process (but in life in general, it's certainly a good idea to have one).

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/im...dfs/web1018.pdf

5. What Documents Do You Need toShow That You Are a U.S. Citizen?

If you were born in the United States, give USCIS copy, front and back, of your birth certificate

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
As part of the initial I-129F petition paperwork, you need to prove that you are a US Citizen and therefore permitted to petition for your fiance. If you don't have a passport, you can provide your birth certificate. Otherwise, there is no need for you to have a passport as related to this process (but in life in general, it's certainly a good idea to have one).

http://www.lexisnexis.com/practiceareas/im...dfs/web1018.pdf

5. What Documents Do You Need toShow That You Are a U.S. Citizen?

If you were born in the United States, give USCIS copy, front and back, of your birth certificate

Exactly. Although your question begs the question of "How did you meet in person as required?" Of course, you could have met in the USA. If you are a US Citizen intending to marry a citizen of another country, you would be well advised to obtain a passport ASAP. There's quite a backup now that one is needed to travel to Mexico or Canada. Get on it. :yes:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for all of the responses;

Yes we met while we were in hawaii; she was attending school there, and I was on vacation. Long story short, after our relationship developed she always came to visit me for 3 months at a time. I have a very demanding career; and I was unable to make a trip to Japan. Actually, matter of fact I do have a passport processing; its just 6-8 week turn around. I want to get these required forms back to Immigration soon as possible.

They sent me back an RFE; one of the things requested was a passport, but in the inital documentation; I dont recall seeing a passport required. So its safe to send back in all the required documents without passport explaing situation?

Thanks for all of you guys responses, its greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Timeline
Thanks for all of the responses;

Yes we met while we were in hawaii; she was attending school there, and I was on vacation. Long story short, after our relationship developed she always came to visit me for 3 months at a time. I have a very demanding career; and I was unable to make a trip to Japan. Actually, matter of fact I do have a passport processing; its just 6-8 week turn around. I want to get these required forms back to Immigration soon as possible.

They sent me back an RFE; one of the things requested was a passport, but in the inital documentation; I dont recall seeing a passport required. So its safe to send back in all the required documents without passport explaing situation?

Thanks for all of you guys responses, its greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Are they asking you for a passport because you didn't send a copy of your birth certificate. If so, send a copy of your birth certificate and explain about the passport.

Just exactly what does your RFE say? Please be specific (verbatim, if possible) to get the best possible assistance.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
No, you do not need a passport in order to apply or to optain a fiance visa.

I think you mean the USC is not required to have a passport in order to petition for their fiance to be able to apply for a visa. One absolutely must have a passport to apply for or obtain any visa. The visa goes in the passport.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

But the question everyone else will wonder is how is she your fiancee unless you proposed long distance.

I travelled on commercial airlines for years to many countries without a passport. I had military orders and a military I.D. card.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline
Are they asking you for a passport because you didn't send a copy of your birth certificate. If so, send a copy of your birth certificate and explain about the passport.

Just exactly what does your RFE say? Please be specific (verbatim, if possible) to get the best possible assistance.

Thanks for this response.. I think you all answered my question. Yes, I fogotten to put in my birth certificate when I filed for the her K1 visa. I dont know what I was thinking; I downloaded the forms and sent them in.. I didn't do extensive research at that time.

Now our relationship is getting very serious, me spending 1200$ every round trip tickets for her are starting to become expensive, and on top of this she wanted this to happen like yesterday. So I am trying to get my ducks in a row as soon as possible.

But I think I should be in good shape, thanks to all of your responses.

Regarding the RFE; unfortunately Im at the office at the moment and all my papers are at home. Do you mind if I send you a PM to take a look over pushbrk?

One again I am so greatful and extremely happy I was directed to this site; after my journey is complete I will try my best to contribute my experiences with others.

Lawrence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Regarding the RFE; unfortunately Im at the office at the moment and all my papers are at home. Do you mind if I send you a PM to take a look over pushbrk?

One again I am so greatful and extremely happy I was directed to this site; after my journey is complete I will try my best to contribute my experiences with others.

Lawrence

So did you just receive the RFE today? That's good news since now you know they have your petition and they just need more information. Simply provide a copy of the front and back of your birth certificate and anything else they have requested and you should be good to go.

But the question everyone else will wonder is how is she your fiancee unless you proposed long distance

Logical, rational possibilities:

1) She had a tourist or work visa and came to visit him

2) They met once in the previous two years in a place where, at the time, a USC was not required to use a passport i.e. Mexico

3) He proposed on Skype? Hey, it happens.

Timeline
So did you just receive the RFE today? That's good news since now you know they have your petition and they just need more information. Simply provide a copy of the front and back of your birth certificate and anything else they have requested and you should be good to go.
But the question everyone else will wonder is how is she your fiancee unless you proposed long distance

2) They met once in the previous two years in a place where, at the time, a USC was not required to use a passport i.e. Mexico

Yes Kitkat1, soon after you and I were talking on my last topic; I checked the mail and there it was.. the RFE;

Yeah, She is actually here with me mostly through out the year; our routine was she would come for 3 months go back to japan for about 1 or 2 months, and then come back to me for another 3 months. We have kept this up for about a year and half now. but its WAY to expensive.. and we are pretty sure about marriage at this point.

We have all the plane ticket stubs and all that jazz.. 1000s of pictures.. so I think the proof part wont be a problem. Just was curious about the passport part. I wont have that until maybe 1 month from now. So Im just going to send everything I have in the mean time. Ill explain my passport situation, hopefully they are somewhat understanding.

THanks again for responses.

Lawrence

Edited by Rorensu

Yes Kitkat1, soon after you and I were talking on my last topic; I checked the mail and there it was.. the RFE;

Yeah, She is actually here with me mostly through out the year; our routine was she would come for 3 months go back to japan for about 1 or 2 months, and then come back to me for another 3 months. We have kept this up for about a year and half now. but its WAY to expensive.. and we are pretty sure about marriage at this point.

We have all the plane ticket stubs and all that jazz.. 1000s of pictures.. so I think the proof part wont be a problem. Just was curious about the passport part. I wont have that until maybe 1 month from now. So Im just going to send everything I have in the mean time. Ill explain my passport situation, hopefully they are somewhat understanding.

THanks again for responses.

Lawrence

Even without the K-1, your expenses for travel will soon end. She's been spending more time in the U.S. than in Japan. It's only a matter of time before she is refused entry.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.