10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

long story short..my "fiance " was not who he was ...16 yr friendship and 1 yrs relationship down the drain..

question is

what do i do now

can i send a letter to USCIS here and the embassy in barbados to alert them of this that cause his b1/b2 visa was cancelled b/c of the k1 visa...so due to the nature of his job ( since they rehired him) he will need to be able to travel to the US again

how do i this?

long story short..my "fiance " was not who he was ...16 yr friendship and 1 yrs relationship down the drain..

question is

what do i do now

can i send a letter to USCIS here and the embassy in barbados to alert them of this that cause his b1/b2 visa was cancelled b/c of the k1 visa...so due to the nature of his job ( since they rehired him) he will need to be able to travel to the US again

how do i this?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Did you and your fiance complete the K-1 process, i.e marry and apply for AOS? If you haven't married, your ex-fiancee will have to return home after 90 days. If you've married and filed AOS, you would have to notify USCIS that the AOS petition is being withdrawn. I'm not sure I understand the last part of your question. Isn't a B1/B2 visa a tourist visa? Why is he using a tourist visa to come to the US for job purposes.? There is not much you can do, no letter to write to convince the consulate to give your fiance another type of visa. He will have to request and be granted another type of visa on his own merits.

Good luck!

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Sorry to hear about this turn in your relationship.

Your timeline shows your fiance entered the country just last week. If you're no longer going to get married, your fiance has 90 days (from his date of entry) to leave the country. As the K1 visa has been used (and therefore has served its purpose), you really won't need to do anything.

As to your fiance's b1/b2 visa, he can reapply for it when he goes back to his home country. I'm sure his employer will provide him with sufficient documents to support a b1 visa especially if his work necessitates coming to the US often.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

question is

what do i do now

how do i this?

I'm sorry for your troubles. Did you and your fiance complete the K-1 process, i.e marry and apply for AOS? If you haven't married, your ex-fiancee will have to return home after 90 days. If you've married and filed AOS, you would have to notify USCIS that the AOS petition is being withdrawn. I'm not sure I understand the last part of your question. Isn't a B1/B2 visa a tourist visa? Why is he using a tourist visa to come to the US for job purposes.? There is not much you can do, no letter to write to convince the consulate to give your fiance another type of visa. He will have to request and be granted another type of visa on his own merits.

Good luck!

-P

before getting his K-1 he had a tourist visa...upon gettin his k1 the tourist visa was cancelled...so now he will have to reapply for the tourist visa..in barbados there are so many restrictions b/c u have to show that you own property and have several ties to the country etc etc so that you don't look like you are plannin on leaving and not coming back.

i guess what i am asking is what i can do to make sure this loop is close..we did not get married.so AOS was never filed.

do i have to notify USCIS and the barbados embassy of this

Sorry to hear about this turn in your relationship.

Your timeline shows your fiance entered the country just last week. If you're no longer going to get married, your fiance has 90 days (from his date of entry) to leave the country. As the K1 visa has been used (and therefore has served its purpose), you really won't need to do anything.

As to your fiance's b1/b2 visa, he can reapply for it when he goes back to his home country. I'm sure his employer will provide him with sufficient documents to support a b1 visa especially if his work necessitates coming to the US often.

he came in the country may 4th...and he left on may 10th

You don't have to notify anyone of anything. Your responsibility as the petitioner ended when your fiance voluntarily returned to his country.

Again, I'm sorry to hear things did not work out. Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I personally think you should contact USCIS and tell them you are not getting married and the relationship is over. They won't do anything but note it in the file. As far as the Embassy goes maybe you can try calling them for advise. If he had a visitor visa before and never overstayed OR violated it the he should be able to obtain another one as long as he return back to his home within the 90 day time frame and don't fall out of status. Jamaica has the same requirements so I know how you feel.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

You don't have to notify anyone of anything. Your responsibility as the petitioner ended when your fiance voluntarily returned to his country.

I'll suggest notifiying the USCIS, because you had to subimit a AOS (Affidavit Of Support) and you ARE responsible for the person(s) doing while they are in the country.

What is an Affidavit of Support for immigration ?

If you are bringing a relative to live permanently in the United States, you must accept legal responsibility for financially supporting this family member. You accept this responsibility and become your relative's sponsor by completing and signing a document called an affidavit of support. This legally enforceable responsibility lasts until your relative becomes a U.S. citizen or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually 10 years.)

For Whom is an Affidavit of Support for immigration required?

You must complete and submit affidavit of support form if you are bringing a relative to the United States. An affidavit of support, is required for all immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (which include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21, including orphans) and relatives who qualify for immigration to the United States under one of the family-based preferences:

First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents and the unmarried sons and daughters (regardless of age) of lawful permanent residents and their unmarried children.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children.

K-1 Visa - Timeline

04/06/2005 - Met @ Monte Bar

11/24/2005 - Second Trip

11/28/2005 - Got Engaged

03/09/2006 - I-129F Sent

06/23/2006 - I-129F RFE(s)

08/25/2006 - I-129F NOA2

08/29/2006 - NVC Received

09/05/2006 - NVC Left

09/12/2006 - Received by Consulate

10/06/2006 - Surprise Visit - Third Trip

10/04/2007 - Fouth Trip

11/13/2007 - GREAT NEWS... WE'RE PREGNANT!!!

01/09/2008 - Found out we had been scheduled for an interview!!!

03/10/2008 - Approved!!!

03/19/2008 - Visa Received

03/25/2008 - POE Miami

04/07/2008 - Applied for Social Security

04/19/2008 - Social Security Card Received

04/22/2008 - Applied for Marriage License

04/30/2008 - Marriage Counseling Class

05/23/2008 - Wedding Day!!!

06/13/2008 - Daughter Born!!!

06/18/2008 - AOS sent

06/23/2008 - Visa expired

09/05/2008 - RFE, Regarding Co-Sponsor [i-864]

09/25/2008 - Received AP

10/20/2008 - Documents sent

10/29/2008 - Case Touched, "Case resumed"

10/31/2008 - Case Touched

11/03/2008 - Case Touched

01/08/2009 - RFE

02/19/2009 - Documents Sent

03/12/2009 - I-765, Touched!!!

03/13/2009 - Employment Authorization Cards ON-HAND!!!

03/19/2009 - Received Interview letter for I-485!!!

05/11/2009 - Interview day... Approved, card production ordered!!!!

05/14/2009 - Welcome Letter received!!!

06/20/2009 - Green Card Received!!!

Lift Conditions on 02/11/2011

I'll suggest notifiying the USCIS, because you had to subimit a AOS (Affidavit Of Support) and you ARE responsible for the person(s) doing while they are in the country.

The OP did not submit AOS, because she did not marry the K-1 visa holder, her ex-fiancee AND he left the country voluntarily a week after he arrived on the K-1 visa. Maybe a notification to USCIS is not a bad idea....maybe calling the customer service #, but I don't see where that would be necessary. The original K-1 petition was reviewed and approved by USCIS....which 'closes' that portion of the case. A new 'chapter' in the case is opened upon the filing of AOS, when the K-1 visa holder applies to adjust status and sends in documentation to support said petition. (At AOS, the hard copy NOA2 is necessary, for reference and so the two files can be merged.) That's just my interpretation, maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can help here?

As far as the DOS(the Consulate) is concerned, the visa recipient is not in violation of anything because he came here on a visa, and returned to his home country before said visa expired.....so again I don't see how the petitioner has any responsibility to notify the consulate that the visa recipient has returned....or if the petitioner can have any 'sway' in whether the k-1 visa recipient(the ex-fiance) will receive any future visas.

-P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

is the confusion here over the letters "AOS"?

AOS = adjustment of status - NOT Affidavit of Support.

Also - he needs to get something OTHER than a B series visa if he wants to return to work in the United States. He'll need a work series visa (several different letters for those). And for those visas, he'll need the help of his employer and won't need to show proof of ties to home, since that's not part of the decision to grant a work visa.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

is the confusion here over the letters "AOS"?

AOS = adjustment of status - NOT Affidavit of Support.

Also - he needs to get something OTHER than a B series visa if he wants to return to work in the United States. He'll need a work series visa (several different letters for those). And for those visas, he'll need the help of his employer and won't need to show proof of ties to home, since that's not part of the decision to grant a work visa.

I'm not sure now....the way I understood the OP, she petitioned her fiance, he got the visa, entered the US...things didn't work out, and a few days later he left back home. She was questioning if she needed to contact anyone, USCIS or the consulate since the beneficiary was a B1/B2 visa holder before the K-1 was issued, but the K-1 canceled the tourist visa and now he needs the tourist visa again for work? (I'm not sure what kind of work one can do here on a tourist visa? But the OP didn't answer my question in a previous post regarding why the beneficiary had a tourist visa if it was for work purposes.)

But you're right TimsDaisy....I didn't think about Affidavit of Support, but as the I-134 is a non-binding document, and as the beneficiary has left the country there is no responsibility there either, is there?

-P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.