6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

We received a letter from the Vermont Service Center stating that a review of my wife’s immigration record shows that the marriage through which she gained conditional residence status was entered into more than twenty-four months prior to her admission or adjustment as a permanent resident. She should therefore have been admitted as a permanent resident without conditions. Our request for removal of conditions was terminated and we were instructed to send an I-90 form marked “D” to the Texas Service Center for further processing.

As per these instructions we completed the form and sent it to Texas. We included a copy of the letter from Vermont. We then received a reply informing us that we need to supply additional proof than an error was made. This proof includes an explanation of the error, other supporting documents, and the original incorrect I-551 card.

I followed these instructions and sent in everything except the original Resident Card, as this is really my wife's only form of valid US photo ID. My documents were returned to me again instructing me to send in the original I-551 card.

Has anyone been through anything like this? As silly as it sounds, I'd like to know if it's okay for me to send it to them. And also, do you happen to know how long the Texas center processes issues like this?

Thanks a lot.

First time I've seen a case such as yours. But, they will ask for the original green card before they issue you a new one. I would suggest that you go on an INFOPASS and get an I-551 stamp on your wife's passport before you send them the original green card.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Also please be extra careful on how you send it to them. Make sure it is trackable and insured in some way.

And the idea with the stamp in the passport sounds good - would really do that as well.

Good luck!

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
We received a letter from the Vermont Service Center stating that a review of my wife’s immigration record shows that the marriage through which she gained conditional residence status was entered into more than twenty-four months prior to her admission or adjustment as a permanent resident. She should therefore have been admitted as a permanent resident without conditions. Our request for removal of conditions was terminated and we were instructed to send an I-90 form marked “D” to the Texas Service Center for further processing.

As per these instructions we completed the form and sent it to Texas. We included a copy of the letter from Vermont. We then received a reply informing us that we need to supply additional proof than an error was made. This proof includes an explanation of the error, other supporting documents, and the original incorrect I-551 card.

I followed these instructions and sent in everything except the original Resident Card, as this is really my wife's only form of valid US photo ID. My documents were returned to me again instructing me to send in the original I-551 card.

Has anyone been through anything like this? As silly as it sounds, I'd like to know if it's okay for me to send it to them. And also, do you happen to know how long the Texas center processes issues like this?

Thanks a lot.

To better help you, what is your timeline from embassy interview date, POE date & until recent?

HI Catbert,

Was your wife given a conditional permanent resident card after you guys were married for over 2 years?

I recently found out that if a couple has been married for 2 years, the spouse gets an unconditional Green card? is that true?

My wife was also given a conditional permanent resident card even though we were married for over 2 years at the time of the first green card interview.

Thanks a lot.

I have the same experience like you do, which basically INS made a mistake on my paperwork. My conditional green card expired in March 2007 and my husband (USC) and I sent the application to remove conditional in second week of Dec 2006. Here is my time line:

Nebraska Serv. Center

12/9/06 - mailed out I-751 package

12/12/06 - they received the package

1/3/07 - we received our package back with the letter saying that I was erroneously admitted/adjusted as a conditional permanent resident, when I should've been admitted/adjusted as a permanent resident without conditions (my correct class of admission is IR1 - where they initially put my class of admission was CR6). Thus, I should file a form I-90 with application reason "D": my card was issued with incorrect info because of a USCIS administrative error (no fee will be required since this is their error).

1/6/07 - mailed out I-90 package to Missouri Serv. Center where I got my Green card

1/10/07 - they received the package

2/15/07 - received the package back from Missouri with the letter stating that they needed two things from me which are: my original (not copy) green card (the one that was issued in error) plus a detailed explanation of what the error is on my green card

2/23/07 - have an infopass appointment with INS local office in Chicago to talk about my case plus ask for temporary residence stamp on my passport while my case is being processed (the letter from Missouri stated that they estimate within 90 days from the date of receipt of our document/evidence to process the new card and I don't have any extension letter from them).

2/26/07 - re-send my 1-90 package to Missouri

2/28/07 - Missouri received my I-90 package

3/15/07 - received I-797 notice of action from Missouri stating that the new card was in production and I will be getting my new card soon

3/24/07 - received my 10 yr green card in the mail

To answer your question regarding mailing the original green card/I-551 card, the answer is YES, you have to mail the original card along with other supporting documents. When we went to our infopass appointment, I asked the same thing about mailing the original card, and the officer there told me specifically that I should do that in order for them to send the new card. When mailing the original card, you have to use the "certified mail receipt" and "return receipt" from USPS, that way you can track your document and it's the safest way. The officer at infopass also suggested that before I mailed out the original card, I should make a couple or more copies of the green card so that if just in case the original card was lost, I still have a proof of my green card. You can go to staples or any other photo copy agency to make the copies. What I did was, I made two color copies of I-551 (front and back) and make it bigger. Then I also made a couple of black and white copies of I-551 (front and back) - regular size. So don't worry about not having original green card in hand for a while since you still have copies. Besides, you can always go and have an infopass like I did and have your wife's passport get stamped for 2 months extension while waiting for the new card. Don't you think your wife has another forms of ID such as state ID or driver license? The longer you wait and wait not mailing your original green card, the longer it takes to produce your new card. If you want to be done with INS, then follow what they want. Hope this helps you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.