abigailD

traveling to the USA while waiting for k-3 & other questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian Citizen and I'm engaged to an American Citizen. I'm planning on moving to the USA once we are married. My fiance visited an Immigration Lawyer this morning and I have some questions. I'll basicully tell our story and ask questions in between.

We are planning on getting "legally married" within the next few weeks here in Canada, once we do that, my fiance will go back to the USA and file the I-130 at a Service Center in the states (correct... or in Canada?). Which Service Center is the fastest for the USA? Is it Vermont? Ok so once we file that, and get a "receipt" (what does this receipt mean? That they recieved it?) we can then file for the I-129 (which I assume incorportates the K-3). Does my fiance have to file this I-129 in Chicago? Once its approved in the USA, its sent to the Canadian Consulate... right? I'm assuming that once it gets to Canada I will be shortly approved for the K-3 and recieve notice of this. Are there any interviews that take place during this? Where would we have the interviews, in Canada or the USA? While we are waiting for the K-3 to be approved, can I travel to the USA? I have a childrens choir that I'm leading in July which takes place in the states, will I be able to do this?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to work everything out and make sure I'm doing it right before I file anything. Thanks so much for all the wisdome & help on these forums!

April 1998 - Met through our Church/Youth Weekends

Aug 1, 2004 - Started dating

Mar 31, 2007 - Surprise Proposal!!!

May 14, 2007 - Sent I-129F to VSC

May 21, 2007 - First NOA

May 30, 2007 - Touched

July 14, 2007 - ... still nothing... just waiting

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Your husband will have to file in the US, you cannot pick the service center, you have to file according to his state of residence. With the NOA1 ( the receipt called I-797) you will have to file the I-129F to Chicago.

While you file if you have a job in Canada and you can proof that you have a life (house, bank account, phone bill, car....) you will probably be able to travel back and forth no problem (probably, not sure... at the POE you might have problems). You will have your interview in Canada at the counsular office.

Hope I helped you, you can look at the K3 explanation on this site under "Guides"...

Good luck

Married Jan 2007

I-130

03/21/2007 sent to NSC - 06/18/2007 NOA2 - 89 days

NVC stage

07/24/2007 e-mailed DS-3032 choice of agent

01/04/2008 Approved - visa in my hand! 289 days

01/13/2008 Entry the US

10/15/2009 I-751

12/03/2009 Biometrics

1/06/2010 Removal of conditions approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.