natashenika

political asylum

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:help:

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm waiting for my I-130 since december 2006. I'm in ukraine since november 2006. before that I have lived in the US for 4 and half years and during that time i was legal based on political asylum in october i got the refusal from immigration court and that's why i had to leave my husband ( that time bf) said that he didn't wnt me to leave that's why we got married but lawyer advised me to leave and wait for papers in ukraine so here i'm for 6 months.

My question is do u think it takes longer for them to check me because i've lived in the states or there is a chance for denial?

P. S. just want to believe that I'll be with my husband SOON, miss him a lot.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ukraine

Marriage : 2006-11-02

I-130 Sent : 2006-12-11

2008-05-16 CR-1 visa issued

2008-05-20 recieved visa

2008-05-31 I arrived at JFK (took me 1hour and a half to be out of the airport with a stamp in my passport)

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

2010-4-12 Bio (done early 3-29)

2010-6-3 card production ordered

2010-6-19 10 year GC recieved

N-400

2011-3-28 application sent via express mail to LEWISVILLE TX SC

2011-3-29 application recieved

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm waiting for my I-130 since december 2006. I'm in ukraine since november 2006. before that I have lived in the US for 4 and half years and during that time i was legal based on political asylum in october i got the refusal from immigration court and that's why i had to leave my husband ( that time bf) said that he didn't wnt me to leave that's why we got married but lawyer advised me to leave and wait for papers in ukraine so here i'm for 6 months.

My question is do u think it takes longer for them to check me because i've lived in the states or there is a chance for denial?

Nchipic,

you may want to give us your timeline: when was the I-130 submitted and to which service center, status (received NOA1, NOA2). Your husband should be able to give you all this info as he is the one receiving receipt notices from USCIS.

Only then can people from the forum be able to give you advice/opinion.

Best,

Mel

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

I do have my timeline on my page but i don't know how to post it the way yours is

could you help me?

2008-05-20 recieved visa

2008-05-31 I arrived at JFK (took me 1hour and a half to be out of the airport with a stamp in my passport)

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm a little confused...I thought political asylum was claimed when the person could not return to their home country due to political upheaval (or other reasons) because they would be in danger of their lives if they returned? That is why I don't understand how you were able to return to your home country after the US denied your political asylum claim. I'm not sure but your wait may have to do w/ your previous asylum case (meaning your wait is longer because of it). The problem would not be that your lived in the states....but immigration may be examining your case more closely. Did you marry your husband before or after you filed for immigration benefits based on claiming political asylum? If you married after, immigration may well be checking more closely, to make sure that the marriage was conducted "in good faith" and not to receive immigration benefits (i.e. it is a real marriage, not fraudulent).

Hang in there, you'll make it. Good luck.

As for your signature questions. When you are logged in, towards the top of your page, click on "My Controls", then on the bar in the left hand side, click on "Edit Signature". You can then type any text you want to appear as your signature...and that will show each time you make a post on the forums.

-P

Edited by Paula&Minya
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I do have my timeline on my page but i don't know how to post it the way yours is

could you help me?

My controls

Edit signature and then type it in

YMMV

Timeline

Hi everyone!!!!

Nchipic,

you may want to give us your timeline: when was the I-130 submitted and to which service center, status (received NOA1, NOA2). Your husband should be able to give you all this info as he is the one receiving receipt notices from USCIS.

Best,

Mel

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm a little confused...I thought political asylum was claimed when the person could not return to their home country due to political upheaval (or other reasons) because they would be in danger of their lives if they returned? That is why I don't understand how you were able to return to your home country after the US denied your political asylum claim. I'm not sure but your wait may have to do w/ your previous asylum case (meaning your wait is longer because of it). The problem would not be that your lived in the states....but immigration may be examining your case more closely. Did you marry your husband before or after you filed for immigration benefits based on claiming political asylum? If you married after, immigration may well be checking more closely, to make sure that the marriage was conducted "in good faith" and not to receive immigration benefits (i.e. it is a real marriage, not fraudulent).

As for your signature questions. When you are logged in, towards the top of your page, click on "My Controls", then on the bar in the left hand side, click on "Edit Signature". You can then type any text you want to appear as your signature...and that will show each time you make a post on the forums.

-P

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-12-15

2008-05-20 recieved visa

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Hi everyone!!!!

Nchipic,

Best,

Mel

Hi everyone!!!!

-P

Did your husband call the USCIS hotline to see what's the status of the application?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Hi everyone!!!!

Nchipic,

Best,

Mel

Hi everyone!!!!

-P

Did your husband call the USCIS hotline to see what's the status of the application?

2008-05-20 recieved visa

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Timeline

Hi everyone!!!!

Nchipic,

Best,

Mel

Hi everyone!!!!

-P

no, do u think it will help??

usually they say nosing but wait and see our processing times which haven't been changed for over 6 months for vsc

2008-05-20 recieved visa

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

no, do u think it will help??

usually they say nosing but wait and see our processing times which haven't been changed for over 6 months for vsc

Well I've seen people call if they heard nothing from SC in couple of months and they get some info. Since your case is a specific one and related to political asylum (not sure on which grounds you applied for one and how did you return to Ukraine), you might want to have your husband contact an immigration attorney as he/she may shed more light on why your cases is not pass NOA1 yet. Based on that, you can determine the next steps you two want to undertake.

Best of luck on your journey,

mel

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

we do have n attoney but he doesen't seem to know anythink keeps taling everything takes time u'll be fine just taking a litle longer....

but i though may be someone has similar situation

anyway thanks for your replies :)

2008-05-20 recieved visa

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

So, a couple of questions. Did the immigration judge grant you Voluntary Departure when you left? (It would be marked somewhere in your file.) If not I think you might be considered "removed" when they denied your political asylum, which means that CR-1 will not be a simple process. You will have to file I-212 waiver ("cancellation of removal") which means proving your good moral character PLUS any hardship that your spouse would suffer if you couldn't immigrate to the US. You might also need an I-601 waiver if you were ever "out of status," for example if you didn't apply for political asylum within 180 days of arrival in the US, in which case your good moral character means nothing and you can only immigrate by proving EXTREME hardship to your spouse if you couldn't join him in US. Read up about it (www.immigrate2us.net has more info about this than visajourney) and ask your lawyer if it applies to you. If he doesn't know, fire him and find a lawyer who has experience in waivers - they are rare. Laurel Scott (www.visacentral.net) is excellent and has $50 email consultations and a free online chat on Wednesdays.

If you DID get Voluntary Departure, sorry if I scared you!! Good luck and try www.immigrate2us.net, they have more info about these kinds of cases.

Timeline
So, a couple of questions. Did the immigration judge grant you Voluntary Departure when you left? (It would be marked somewhere in your file.) If not I think you might be considered "removed" when they denied your political asylum, which means that CR-1 will not be a simple process. You will have to file I-212 waiver ("cancellation of removal") which means proving your good moral character PLUS any hardship that your spouse would suffer if you couldn't immigrate to the US. You might also need an I-601 waiver if you were ever "out of status," for example if you didn't apply for political asylum within 180 days of arrival in the US, in which case your good moral character means nothing and you can only immigrate by proving EXTREME hardship to your spouse if you couldn't join him in US. Read up about it (www.immigrate2us.net has more info about this than visajourney) and ask your lawyer if it applies to you. If he doesn't know, fire him and find a lawyer who has experience in waivers - they are rare. Laurel Scott (www.visacentral.net) is excellent and has $50 email consultations and a free online chat on Wednesdays.

If you DID get Voluntary Departure, sorry if I scared you!! Good luck and try www.immigrate2us.net, they have more info about these kinds of cases.

I've tried to go to the web site u gave me but it doesen't work can't open anything over there

2008-05-20 recieved visa

10 year GC

2010-03-06 I-751 sent

2010-03-09 NOA-1

2010-03-10 check cashed

N-400

2011-4-20 early BIO

2011-6-16 interview

2011-7-29 Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.