Priscila and Christopher

Need advice on a tourist visa for my mom...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, guys!

I was hoping to go to Brazil this year to visit my family, but I don't think it's going to be possible because of my job. So, I'd like to know if you guys think that it's possible for my mother to get a tourist visa to spend Christmas with me....

Her situation is: She is divorced and lives alone. Doesn't own a house in her name, but doesn't pay rent as well, since she is "zeladora" of a small ranch. She has been working as an operator for 6 years in the same place and makes about R$ 1000 per month.

Based in your personal experiences, do you think that she could get this visa? That would be a dream for me if she could know the place I live...

Thanks in advance! ;)

BRAUSA2.jpg

AMERIZILIANS ALL THE WAY!!! :P

K-1 Journey

--> Jan 27th, 2006 - Sent the petition to Nebraska SC.

--> Jan 31st, 2006 - 1st NOA received by mail.

--> April 20th, 2006 - 2nd NOA in snail mail!

--> May 5th, 2006 - NVC received and left

--> May 24th, 2006 - Pack. 3 received and left (never received package 4, so the Embassy sent me its content by e-mail)

--> June 26th, 2006 - Medical in São Paulo (Dr. Celso Rodrigues Fava)

--> July 11th - Interview APPROVED!! :D

--> July 13th - Visa in hand

AOS

--> Novr 11th, 2006 - Sent AOS and EAD forms

--> Nov 17th, 2006 - NOA 1

--> Dec 4th, 2006 - Biometrics (appt. letter rec. in 11/24)

--> Nov 28th, 2006 - RFE received

--> Jan, 8th, 2007 - RFE sent

--> Jan, 30th, 2007 - EAD card received

--> Mar, 13th, 2007 - Interview - Pending Security Checks

--> July, 16th, 2007 - USCIS site: Security checks cleared. Welcome Letter in the way!

--> July, 26th, 2007 - GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!! (done with USCIS until 04/2009)

Removing Conditions on Residency

--> April 16th, 2009 - Sent I-751 Application to California Service Center

--> May 8th, 2009 - NOA received (1 year extension letter]

--> June 1st, 2009 - Biometrics appt. letter received

I LOVE MY BABE CHRIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'll answer even tho I don't have much experience in the subject. When you apply for a tourist visa you have to take with you a lot of things proving that you intend to come back to Brazil - proof of job, house, cars, properties in your name, and you have to show you can afford the trip for example, showing your salary ''records'' or your taxes papers. At least it was like that last year before I knew I had to get a K1 visa I was reading about getting a tourist visa (then I gave up on that idea after finding out about K1). Since she'll come to visit you, I believe it's necessary to write a letter inviting her to come to the States with the intend to visit, still either you or her will have to provide proof she can afford the trip.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Timeline

Thank you, guys...

I guess the embassy website wouldn't help in this case, because my doubt is regarding to how to show reliability during the interview, what's the best way to make them believe she's not coming here to stay... I thought about this letter, but sometimes I'm afraid that would be worst if they knew she's coming to visit me... I've heard of a lot of cases of people that had their tourist visas denied right away after saying they were coming over to visit relatives in the US... :(

BRAUSA2.jpg

K-1 Journey

--> May 24th, 2006 - Pack. 3 received and left (never received package 4, so the Embassy sent me its content by e-mail)

AOS

--> July, 16th, 2007 - USCIS site: Security checks cleared. Welcome Letter in the way!

--> July, 26th, 2007 - GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!! (done with USCIS until 04/2009)

I LOVE MY BABE CHRIS!

Timeline
Thank you, guys...

I guess the embassy website wouldn't help in this case, because my doubt is regarding to how to show reliability during the interview, what's the best way to make them believe she's not coming here to stay... I thought about this letter, but sometimes I'm afraid that would be worst if they knew she's coming to visit me... I've heard of a lot of cases of people that had their tourist visas denied right away after saying they were coming over to visit relatives in the US... :(

Yes they can think since you're an immigrant she's going to stay, but it is a risk you're gonna have to take, I still think you should try. They ask for evidence that she's coming back to Brazil, like I told you, proof of job, properties, etc. If you can provide that she's going to have a chance to obtain the visa. I've heard a lot of stories that it depends on the mood of the interviewer. The reality is, you came to the United States to stay, you're completely legal, if you bring someone to the States to stay here illegaly they know where you are, they'll find you and deport both of you. So that can help you in a way, since you'll be telling the truth, that she's coming to visit you. What makes them deny is if they think you're lying. For example your mother instead of saying she's going to visit you said she's going to spend a week wherever city you live, and didn;t associate you to her visit, you know what I'm saying?

Click on that link, put your passport number and DOB and read all the info they give. She has a chance to be approved if she can provide the proof they ask for.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Timeline
Thank you, guys...

Yes they can think since you're an immigrant she's going to stay, but it is a risk you're gonna have to take, I still think you should try. They ask for evidence that she's coming back to Brazil, like I told you, proof of job, properties, etc. If you can provide that she's going to have a chance to obtain the visa. I've heard a lot of stories that it depends on the mood of the interviewer. The reality is, you came to the United States to stay, you're completely legal, if you bring someone to the States to stay here illegaly they know where you are, they'll find you and deport both of you. So that can help you in a way, since you'll be telling the truth, that she's coming to visit you. What makes them deny is if they think you're lying. For example your mother instead of saying she's going to visit you said she's going to spend a week wherever city you live, and didn;t associate you to her visit, you know what I'm saying?

Click on that link, put your passport number and DOB and read all the info they give. She has a chance to be approved if she can provide the proof they ask for.

Thanks, Nessa!

I actually already knew about the information provided in the Embassy site... As I told, my mom doesn't own a house or a good car and is divorced. So, this wouldn't make it easy for her to get a visa. The only reasons why she wouldn't overstay her visa is first because I wouldn't do anything illegal and second because we still don't have financial conditions to support her. She is certainly better living in Brazil right now!

That sucks because unfortunately we don't have how to prove them that we are honest, but, as you said, I've heard that it really depends on the mood of the interviewer. That's so sad to think that my mom couldn't come over to see the place I live and everything...

I think you're right... Probably I should write a letter "inviting" her to visit me, with my Green Card number (when I have one) saying that she won't stay, etc. In case they deny the visa, I'll try to see if I'm lucky and find a helpful Congressperson in here. I know that they don't use to be very helpful, but I know about few cases of people that found a nice one. Doesn't hurt to try, anyway...

If someone else has any good experience, I would appreciate if you could share!

Beijos, galera!

BRAUSA2.jpg

K-1 Journey

AOS

I LOVE MY BABE CHRIS!

Timeline

Priscila, I know if your mom says she is coming to visit you might be worse, but, on the interview they may ask her and she will fill out a form where they ask this (something like: do you know someone in the USA?). She can not lie. I hope she can get this visa (I cross my finger for our moms hehe). But it would be better to have a denied visa for telling the truth because if one day you apply for her I-130 they would ask her why she lied. She could be in trouble. So, I hope and pray to God she gets the visa. I think the best you do is: to send a letter to your mom. She takes all documents she has. And try the tourist visa. At least they will see you all are saying the truth. Maybe her work can help her because you said she has been working there for 6 years. She needs to show ties with Brazil.

Well, I will be praying to God!!! I want my mom comes to visit me too. It is not easy to be far from our family. I wish you good luck!!!!! God bless you! :thumbs::)

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.