bakofoil

Evidence for I-129F petition

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Has anyone gotten approved with NO PHOTOS supplied? I doubt it.

Uh. *raises hand*

We never submitted a single photo (besides the required passport-style photos, of course) during K-1 or at the interview (and didn't send any with AOS, either). They never asked for them and we never had a problem proving we've spent a significant amount of time together because we had plenty of primary evidence to prove this...which is what they want in the first place.

May I ask what kind of primary evidence you submitted? I find this very interesting!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

devilette,

There have been. There used to be a VJer - can't remember his handle and haven't seen him post for maybe 6 months or more - for whom the photo issue was a real hot button. He did not send any photos with his petition (so he said, vehemently) and as I recall he was always ready to reference others who had done the same.

It can be and has been done.

Yodrak

Has anyone gotten approved with NO PHOTOS supplied? I doubt it.

devilette,

There have been. There used to be a VJer - can't remember his handle and haven't seen him post for maybe 6 months or more - for whom the photo issue was a real hot button. He did not send any photos with his petition (so he said, vehemently) and as I recall he was always ready to reference others who had done the same.

It can be and has been done.

Yodrak

I get that but I wanted to know what WAS actually submitted! All passport stamps/plane tickets?

We had most of our plane ticket stubs, so we copied those, copied all passport stamps, had copies of Eurostar boarding passes (with each of our names on them) when we went to Paris together, and many, many pages of credit card statements showing purchases in each others' countries/cities.

In the end I believe the Eurostar boarding passes were the most convincing. It clearly showed we sat next to each other on the same train on the same date, same time, going to to the same place.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

We had most of our plane ticket stubs, so we copied those, copied all passport stamps, had copies of Eurostar boarding passes (with each of our names on them) when we went to Paris together, and many, many pages of credit card statements showing purchases in each others' countries/cities.

In the end I believe the Eurostar boarding passes were the most convincing. It clearly showed we sat next to each other on the same train on the same date, same time, going to to the same place.

Is there a reason you omitted pics?

I submitted plane tickets for a holiday we had together to Croatia, plus a trip to Paris (Eurostar), my student visa (a HUGE flag that we were in the same city for years), etc, etc as I was living in London but I never thought NOT to submit pics since I had them...

Edited by devilette

I also want to point out that I don't want to discourage anyone from sending photos. I think it's nice to show you both in the same place together and gives it a more personal feeling. You have to make sure the date stamp is turned on and that you don't overload them with photos. They don't want to see 20 photos of the two of you.

Similarly, it's the primary evidence that is the most important and what you should really, really beef up. It won't hurt you to have 20 pages of primary evidence, and will only make your case stronger. When we originally sent our petition, we got an RFE because we didn't realize the boarding passes we sent didn't have the year on them. Duh...silly error on my part. When we sent back the RFE we sent them 20+ pages of primary evidence...all different kinds. If you're stressing about the evidence to send them, stress about this, not about pictures.

I-129F

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

Is there a reason you omitted pics?

I submitted plane tickets for a holiday we had together to Croatia, plus a trip to Paris (Eurostar), my student visa (a HUGE flag that we were in the same city for years), etc, etc as I was living in London but I never thought NOT to submit pics since I had them...

They didn't ask for pictures, so we didn't think of it really. We thought the important part was giving them hard evidence that we've met. We had plenty of photos taken together, especially during my first visit there, but I never got them developed. Even if we had, we had no way of getting the date stamp on the photos to "prove" they were taken within the last two years.

Ultimately, we didn't send them because we didn't think they were important since the instructions never said "send photos", not because we were trying to squeak by with the minimal amount of information. In sending AOS, we didn't send photos because it seemed pointless and only necessary for the interview (which it appears we will not have).

I-129F

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Some photos could prove a meeting within the past two years...if you both took a PROOF OF LIFE style photo. But that's neither here nor there. They still are only secondary evidence :thumbs:

I think the issue many have raised is valid, e.g. the salient point about providing photos and evidence is to provide proof to US Immigration. We need to demonstrate that one has met his/her fiance(e) within the previous two years. I've agreed with this point from the start, repeatedly.

I took issue with someone's ridiculous assertion providing a photo of you and your fiance(e) doesn't prove you've met. That's what a VJer wrote and I took exception to it, as it's an absurd claim. The one who posted has brought up different issues wrt the K-1 requirements while ignoring what she wrote. The VJer tried to create arguments which simply don't exist. By calling attention to another argument, the VJer tried to avoid addressing my point based on what she wrote.

If one has a photo of the people intending to marry, then OF COURSE you've met in person. That was all I was trying to say. It's a requirement of the K-1, unless the couple has an arranged marriage ... which is equally acceptable. If a couple does not have an arranged marriage, then the next task is to demonstrate that the meeting has taken place within the previous two years. And people have provided many great suggestions to meet these requirements!!

I'm surprised by those who scream "fire" when no flame has been lit, and then assign blame. People are funny (and very odd) sometimes.

The point that was raised was a photo doesn't necessarily prove meeting within a certain timeframe. No one's disputing that pictures prove you've met.....

Sorry, but that is exactly what she said. She has since qualified her remarks and took responsibility for making the errant comment. AND the important point to take away from all this is that as petitioners we need to demonstrate in a viable way that we meet the criteria outlined by USCIS.

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Sorry, but that is exactly what she said. She has since qualified her remarks and took responsibility for making the errant comment. AND the important point to take away from all this is that as petitioners we need to demonstrate in a viable way that we meet the criteria outlined by USCIS.

I didn't "take responsibility for making the errant comment." I didn't err.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Despite the disagreements in this thread over what constitutes primary evidence, it has turned out to be a very useful resource for those of us who are just embarking on the visa journey.

There was a very important point made here by Timsdaisy which is that for newbies the whole process is saturated with forms and procedures but very little straight talk about what is required to avoid RFE's or worse a visa denial. We have all been at this stage at one point or other. Desperate to start our lives with our partners, excited, worried and unable to appreciate fully what is required of us. This is why VJ is possibly the best resource out there, the experience of others helps us to see what is needed to make the process successful. And hence, it is really important to be specific and accurate with the information supplied.

Another question has been raised in my mind since reading this thread. The petition states that proof is required that the couple have met AT LEAST ONCE. It's common sense that a number of visits would make for a stronger application, but I wonder if anyone has been denied a visa because they only met once and therefore the relationship was not deemed to be solid enough to warrant issue of a visa.

I am currently getting the information together to send to my fiance so that we can make the application before the price increase in July but I do intend to travel back out to the USA in August. This is not definite, I really need to save hard. Would it be wise to point out in the statement of intent to marry that I intend to visit him again in August. Obviously I will ensure during that visit we get some date stamped photos of us together...I do now have two photos from my visit in April but unfortunately they weren't date stamped :(

Anyway, thanks to you all again. This thread has been really useful. I certainly feel more confident than I did when I first posted my original question about being able to gather relevant evidence.

Edited by slothy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Despite the disagreements in this thread over what constitutes primary evidence, it has turned out to be a very useful resource for those of us who are just embarking on the visa journey.

There was a very important point made here by Timsdaisy which is that for newbies the whole process is saturated with forms and procedures but very little straight talk about what is required to avoid RFE's or worse a visa denial. We have all been at this stage at one point or other. Desperate to start our lives with our partners, excited, worried and unable to appreciate fully what is required of us. This is why VJ is possibly the best resource out there, the experience of others helps us to see what is needed to make the process successful. And hence, it is really important to be specific and accurate with the information supplied.

Another question has been raised in my mind since reading this thread. The petition states that proof is required that the couple have met AT LEAST ONCE. It's common sense that a number of visits would make for a stronger application, but I wonder if anyone has been denied a visa because they only met once and therefore the relationship was not deemed to be solid enough to warrant issue of a visa.

I am currently getting the information together to send to my fiance so that we can make the application before the price increase in July but I do intend to travel back out to the USA in August. This is not definite, I really need to save hard. Would it be wise to point out in the statement of intent to marry that I intend to visit him again in August. Obviously I will ensure during that visit we get some date stamped photos of us together...I do now have two photos from my visit in April but unfortunately they weren't date stamped :(

Anyway, thanks to you all again. This thread has been really useful. I certainly feel more confident than I did when I first posted my original question about being able to gather relevant evidence.

The strength/validity of your relationship is a question at the Embassy-stage. For USCIS approval of your petition, they are concerned with you proving the two requirements. That's all. So you need ONE in-person meeting. Later at the Embassy, you should be prepared with proof of your ongoing relationship. Many here, however, have visited with each other AFTER submitting the I-129F materials to USCIS. You have plenty of time to keep growing as a couple and documenting that growth between now and the interview.

Remember - photos are never as good as the primary evidence, so don't sweat the date stamps on those. Here's the language from USCIS regarding evidence:

Submit evidence of meeting the meneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petiition. The primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year), copies of passport pages taht show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. The secondary evidence may be film dated photographs of the petitioner and the beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitue evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.