John24689

Travel to Russia with GC

21 posts in this topic

What documentation does my Russian spouse use to return to Russia and return to the US?

Her SS card has her maiden name.

Her Driver's License has her married name.

Her International Passport has her maiden name.

Her GC has her married name.

Her Internal Russian Passport has her maiden name.

I guess I am confused about which documents she needs to leave the US and then get into Russia. Then, leave Russia and then get into the US.

Thanks for any help. I thought I had read in the past there was a problem with the two different last names on the documents.

Have a great day.

John

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You can enter Russia only using Russian documents. Therefore she will need her international passport with her maiden name. Thus it is recommended that you buy airline tickets in her maiden name.

To return to the US you need to show your Russian passport to the exit border patrol in Russia and an American entry document i.e. valid visa, green card, refugee stamp, I-551 stamp or US passport to the airline officials and then do the same at the Point of Entry officers in the US.

The only known problems occur in Russia because a Russian official who is working for Aeroflot will refuse to recognize a Russian Passport with one name and a US entry document in another name. To ease your worries some, like myself have requested the Russian consulate to make an amendment to the Russian Passport indicating that this passport holder also goes by the following married name.

AK has had more success by even getting the Seattle Russian consulate to change the entire Russian passport into the married name. San Francisco Russian Consulate refused to do the latter, claiming it must be done in Russia through the internal passport first.

But 9 out of 10 you will be fine with the documents you listed. As the folks in the Canadian or European forums point out, you should bring your marriage certificate to point out the name change. That might pass muster in civilized Western Countries, but in Russia, a US marriage certificate is worth as much as a piece of toilet paper. Unless it is appostiled and certified by a Russian consulate here in the US.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If your wife has difficulties leaving Russia, perhaps you could help her re-route her itinerary back home through Helsinki or Kiev. There's no problem for Russians to go through FSU states, and Kiev exit people, as I understand it, won't hassle Russians.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

As Sat has said as well, don't worry too much. You can always re-route your trip through Finland and all will be fine.

Russian Passport to leave.

GC and Russian passport to come back.

My wife never changed her name on her GC, which makes it a non-issue.

If your wife has difficulties leaving Russia, perhaps you could help her re-route her itinerary back home through Helsinki or Kiev. There's no problem for Russians to go through FSU states, and Kiev exit people, as I understand it, won't hassle Russians.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
What documentation does my Russian spouse use to return to Russia and return to the US?

I guess I am confused about which documents she needs to leave the US and then get into Russia. Then, leave Russia and then get into the US.

Thanks for any help. I thought I had read in the past there was a problem with the two different last names on the documents.

Have a great day.

John

Hi John

Anna left on Wednesday for peter we had our interview on Tuesday and asked them to stamp her passport.

We asked the interviewer and was told to make sure she takes a copy of the marriage cert with her.

I let U know how it goes in 2 weeks when she returns.

The clerks and the aiports counter never saw the stamp before and we waited about 15 minutes for them to check with the supervisor's supervisor.

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, the SS card and driver's license are not travel documents. So you can exclude those.

To leave the US, she probably does not have to show anything. I've never been asked to present paperwork when leaving the US by air, except when flying to Canada. At most, she will need to present paperwork showing she can enter the country of her final destination. The Russian passport will do that trick. No one in the U.S. is going to concern themselves with whether or not she can return to the U.S.

To enter Russia, authorities there will only want to see her Russian international passport.

To leave Russia, they will want to see her passport at passport control. They MAY (but unlikely) want to see a plane ticket, visa, or other entry document. The airline people will of course want to see a ticket, and probably some entry document, such as an AP document, GC, U.S. passport, $100 bill, or some other such thing. Some people have reported issues with the airline ticket not matching the name on the travel document, not matching the name on the GC. You mileage may vary. Get there early.

Cheers!

AKDiver

p.s.: just another reason why it's crazy for people to change names just because they get married

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Have a great day.

John

when I traveled to Russia i had International passport(it was expired and i intended to renew it in russia),Travel Document(i still green card pending) and I had Marriage sertificate ...So I wanted to renew my international passport and have a married last name in it but I couldn't...because my marriage sertificate was without Apostile(so on Russian Federation it's not valid without Apostil),Also my Travel Doc was on my married name and i needed marriage sertificate with apostile when i came back...my husband sent this apostil through DHL

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, the SS card and driver's license are not travel documents. So you can exclude those.

To leave the US, she probably does not have to show anything. I've never been asked to present paperwork when leaving the US by air, except when flying to Canada. At most, she will need to present paperwork showing she can enter the country of her final destination. The Russian passport will do that trick. No one in the U.S. is going to concern themselves with whether or not she can return to the U.S.

To enter Russia, authorities there will only want to see her Russian international passport.

To leave Russia, they will want to see her passport at passport control. They MAY (but unlikely) want to see a plane ticket, visa, or other entry document. The airline people will of course want to see a ticket, and probably some entry document, such as an AP document, GC, U.S. passport, $100 bill, or some other such thing. Some people have reported issues with the airline ticket not matching the name on the travel document, not matching the name on the GC. You mileage may vary. Get there early.

Cheers!

AKDiver

p.s.: just another reason why it's crazy for people to change names just because they get married

AK

My wife was held up at Phila airport for her DEPARTURE counter person needed to verify the she was here legally.

I don't understand it either. But when I questioned her I was told they would be fined???

John

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife was held up at Phila airport for her DEPARTURE counter person needed to verify the she was here legally.I don't understand it either. But when I questioned her I was told they would be fined???
That's a new one. Well, easy answer, "no, I'm here illegally, and I feel so bad about it, so I am leaving now. See you!"

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
That might pass muster in civilized Western Countries, but in Russia, a US marriage certificate is worth as much as a piece of toilet paper. Unless it is appostiled and certified by a Russian consulate here in the US.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but my now wife is worried about this since we plan on traveling back to Russia to visit her family and such. I was reading the US state department site and they will not Appostilied a state issued certificate (ie a marriage certificate) so can you please enlighten me as what you are suggesting here? The way I read the rules on this process is that it is for federal issued documents only. Help me understand this please.

I am trying to get Anna to call the Russian consulate to have an adendum added to her International passport with an AKA but was interested in what you said above and was hopeing for some clarification.

Thanks,

Paul

Timeline
Sorry to resurrect an old topic but my now wife is worried about this since we plan on traveling back to Russia to visit her family and such. I was reading the US state department site and they will not Appostilied a state issued certificate (ie a marriage certificate) so can you please enlighten me as what you are suggesting here? The way I read the rules on this process is that it is for federal issued documents only. Help me understand this please.

I am trying to get Anna to call the Russian consulate to have an adendum added to her International passport with an AKA but was interested in what you said above and was hopeing for some clarification.

Thanks,

Paul

Maybe you missed this...

http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/h...issues_562.html

"Documents issued in one country which need to be used in another country must be "authenticated" or "legalized" before they can be recognized as valid in the foreign country. This is a process in which various seals are placed on the document. Such documents range from powers of attorney, affidavits, birth, death and marriages records, incorporation papers, deeds, patent applications, home studies and other legal papers. The number and type of authentication certificates you will need to obtain depend on the nature of the document and whether or not the foreign country is a party to the multilateral treaty on "legalization" of documents. (A) If your document is intended for use in a country which is a party to a treaty called the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents ("Hague Legalization Convention") (countries listed below), obtaining a special "apostille" certificate is generally all that is required."

725268776.png

Timeline

Thanks,

Paul

Maybe you missed this...

"Documents issued in one country which need to be used in another country must be "authenticated" or "legalized" before they can be recognized as valid in the foreign country. This is a process in which various seals are placed on the document. Such documents range from powers of attorney, affidavits, birth, death and marriages records, incorporation papers, deeds, patent applications, home studies and other legal papers. The number and type of authentication certificates you will need to obtain depend on the nature of the document and whether or not the foreign country is a party to the multilateral treaty on "legalization" of documents. (A) If your document is intended for use in a country which is a party to a treaty called the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents ("Hague Legalization Convention") (countries listed below), obtaining a special "apostille" certificate is generally all that is required."

Thanks that helps quite a bit. Not sure why information is so spread out on that site but your findings are most appreciated.

Paul and Anna

Timeline
Maybe you missed this...

I didn't realize this was from a page regarding abduction!!! :blink: But the info is the same and accurate.

725268776.png

Thanks for all the good information.

I presume that she will need to get her airline ticket in her maiden name which will match her International Passport. When she leaves the US, she would have to show only her International Passport for identification.

On her return, her International Passport will match her ticket and she would be able to leave Russia.

Upon entering the US, she would have to show her International Passport, her Marriage License, and her Green Card.

I would think this should get her to Russia and back home again withou a problem.

I will take our Marriage License to the Secretary of State's office and have the correct stamps put on it (apostile).

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I will take our Marriage License to the Secretary of State's office and have the correct stamps put on it (apostile).
That is not enough for Russian officials. Without the translation and Russian consulate certification it is still worth as much as a piece of toilet paper.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.