36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
The Green Card + extension letter are not valid hiring documents.
Oh yes, they are. Take a look at acceptable docs from List A on I-9:

4: Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization

5: Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph

The extension letter is as good for employment purposes as it is for travel. There's simply no need to panic about the SSC w/o the "DHS authorization for employment required" line. The GC (and extension letter) are just that: DHS authorization for employment. I've had that restricted SSC until well over a year after I became a citizen and never, ever had any trouble with it. :no:

Quite a few people on this board have had very serious issues with empolyment and them not accepting the extension letter.

At any company, the HR staff administering the I-9 filing may be inexperienced. That doesn't mean that the resident alien holding such letter is not authorized to work. There is a certain liability on a company that refuses to accept proper documentation. The EEOC loves to hear about such employers... ;)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64604

People need to understand that standard blurbs do not differentiate as they should. Lots of panic over nothing. Quite typical.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

4: Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorization

The extension letter is as good for employment purposes as it is for travel. There's simply no need to panic about the SSC w/o the "DHS authorization for employment required" line. The GC (and extension letter) are just that: DHS authorization for employment. I've had that restricted SSC until well over a year after I became a citizen and never, ever had any trouble with it. :no:

In the context of hiring documents, I referred to this:

About Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

"“GREEN CARDS”

The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S.. Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire. Starting with the “pink” version of the Resident Alien Card (the “white” version does not bear an expiration date), and including the new technology Permanent Resident Cards, these documents are valid for either two years (conditional residents) or ten years (permanent residents). When these cards expire, the alien cardholders must obtain new cards. An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents). Note: Even if unexpired, “green cards” must appear genuine and establish identity of the cardholder."

From this thread: Green card extension letter not enough for new job

Ultimately, the new employer did accept the extension letter (after OP contacted the Dept of Justice).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

In the context of hiring documents, I referred to this:

About Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

"“GREEN CARDSâ€

The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S.. Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire. Starting with the “pink†version of the Resident Alien Card (the “white†version does not bear an expiration date), and including the new technology Permanent Resident Cards, these documents are valid for either two years (conditional residents) or ten years (permanent residents). When these cards expire, the alien cardholders must obtain new cards. An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents). Note: Even if unexpired, “green cards†must appear genuine and establish identity of the cardholder."

From this thread: Green card extension letter not enough for new job

Ultimately, the new employer did accept the extension letter (after OP contacted the Dept of Justice).

I don't doubt for a minute that one could have difficulties with employment eligibility verification using the extension letter and corresponding GC. There's enough ignorance out there regarding these items. That said, the GC along with the extension letter - which explicitly leaves said GC in unexpired status - is good enough for I-9 verification in the eyes of the law.

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband just called me after spending 3.5 hours at the Social Security office, to get his SS card updated. It was 3 hours of waiting time and a half an hour of talking with the person that works there (I told you guys it's a HUGE hassle to go there compared to the immigration office!! Now we need to find out who we can complain to).

Anyway, they ordered the new card for him after much pleading. At first they didn't want to get him the new card because he did not bring his old one. No where on THEIR instructions from THEIR website does it say that he needed to bring it. He could have just said he lost it. They said they don't want people to have two of them. Umm, I have my old one in my maiden name. And my husband mentioned that to the lady. So she got past that issue and then she said that she didn't know how many days ahead of the expiration date on his greencard he had. She thought the number 15 sounded right to her, and some other guy in the office said 15 working days. Which would have put my husband at one day short! My husband pointed out how the website does not state that, and how he thought it was 14 days, not working days. So they looked and looked but could not find the days anywhere (neither could I) and she eventually just put it through and said she hopes she doesn't lose her job.

Why are these people so incompetent??!??? :wacko:

At least it's done with now.

My husband just called me after spending 3.5 hours at the Social Security office, to get his SS card updated. It was 3 hours of waiting time and a half an hour of talking with the person that works there (I told you guys it's a HUGE hassle to go there compared to the immigration office!! Now we need to find out who we can complain to).

Anyway, they ordered the new card for him after much pleading. At first they didn't want to get him the new card because he did not bring his old one. No where on THEIR instructions from THEIR website does it say that he needed to bring it. He could have just said he lost it. They said they don't want people to have two of them. Umm, I have my old one in my maiden name. And my husband mentioned that to the lady. So she got past that issue and then she said that she didn't know how many days ahead of the expiration date on his greencard he had. She thought the number 15 sounded right to her, and some other guy in the office said 15 working days. Which would have put my husband at one day short! My husband pointed out how the website does not state that, and how he thought it was 14 days, not working days. So they looked and looked but could not find the days anywhere (neither could I) and she eventually just put it through and said she hopes she doesn't lose her job.

Why are these people so incompetent??!??? :wacko:

At least it's done with now.

The real question should be: Why do these people (gov't employees) not care?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I know it's not required to be a citizen to work, obviously.

I just think it's very common for an employer to ask to see the greencard when some checks the box for non-US citizen.

In my experience, they don't ask to see the green card. By showing your DL and SS card you've met the I-9 requirements, they can't ask you for more than that. But you have to write your A number if you check "Permanent resident" box on the I-9.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.