Kat And Russ

Is it just me....

78 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok... is it just me or does anyone else wander around the supermarket like a lost child?

I spend about 4 hours looking for food.... i hate it.... i actually just came home and cried to my husband about it.

I had to ask a lady in Publix about sanitary towels.... she looked at me like I had fallen out the sky!!

RAAAAA sorry just venting!

K1

08-14-2006 Sent I-129F sent

09-11-2006 NOA1 Received

11-09-2006 RFE Issued

11-17-2006 RFE Arrives via Snail mail

11-27-2006 RFE Returned to visa land

01-09-2007 NOA2!!!!!!!

01-29-2007 Packet 3 Recieved

02-05-2007 Packet 3 sent to embassy

02-13-2007 Medical booked for March 12th

02-15-2007 INTERVIEW MARCH 13th

03-12-2007 medical... easy peasy!

03-13-2007 Interview.... I passed!!

03-20-2007 VISA IN HAND!

03-22-2007 FLY HOME!

04-04-07 Filled for SS #

04-05-2007 Wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-10-2007 Marrige Cert arrived in post!

AOS

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-14-2007 Arrived in Chicago

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

05-17-2007 Moved to CSC

06-01-2007 Recieved at CSC

06-03-2007 Touched

06-04-2007 Touched

06-05-2007 Touched

06-06-2007 Touched.... waaaaaa Is this good or bad???

06-19-2007 WELCOME LETTER EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-20-2007 Touched

06-24-2007 Touched

06-25-2007 GREEN CARD in HAND!!!!!!!!

EAD

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

06-27-2007 Card Ordered

AP

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

06-27-2007 Aprroved... after green card!

1.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Well....i was the same when i visited as we use to go food shopping together - for me i am struck by how americans seem to "mess" with there food ...for instance a doughnut is a doughnut but in american they want to ice it - stick all kinds of unnecessary stuff in and on it!! whats that about!!! and it seems the same principle applies to other food items - i know my other half would laugh if he saw our version of a packet of biscuits in comparison - the consolation is ....i think you will get use to it - i had same problem when i lived in germany and shoppped for foods there - the same for spain....give yourself time and if you need to take 4 hours - well take as long as it takes to get the hang of the differences ...[/b]

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ok... is it just me or does anyone else wander around the supermarket like a lost child?

I spend about 4 hours looking for food.... i hate it.... i actually just came home and cried to my husband about it.

I had to ask a lady in Publix about sanitary towels.... she looked at me like I had fallen out the sky!!

RAAAAA sorry just venting!

Not so much, now that I'm "home" but it still happens even when I'm in the US---worse when I am elsewhere.. I just totally related to your words!

Try "sanitary pads" or even more obvious "tampons" (you'll be in the right neighborhood then). It just takes a bit to get the new lingo down, poor thing.

Of course, sometimes I go to the grocery store in other countries *just* for the entertainment of looking. But when you are in need.. no fun!

Buck up! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

lol when I first started visiting my man about 5 years ago I'd go in to somewhere like kohls and just be so overwhelmed , but excited.

Its not like that now, I love it and hate the small stores :lol:

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Maybe you would have got a better response if you had asked for "Sanitary Napkins", which even after living here for 8 years, I still find hilarious.

Timeline

I found Wal-Mart a bit too big when I first came over, but I was just annoyed by it rather than lost in it. Now I just shop in Kroger, it is about the same size as a decent Tescos or Sainsbury's.

Btw, does anyone else find it fascinating that cheese seems to be sold grated? You can buy blocks but the grated cheese is everywhere here!

Edited by mags

I found Wal-Mart a bit too big when I first came over, but I was just annoyed by it rather than lost in it. Now I just shop in Kroger, it is about the same size as a decent Tescos or Sainsbury's.

Btw, does anyone else find it fascinating that cheese seems to be sold grated? You can buy blocks but the grated cheese is everywhere here!

*giggle*

Chris loves to go grocery shopping with me. I think he is just facinated by it. However I love to go grocery shopping in England. But normally it is insanly crowded.

I am sure you will get used to it. You are very brave.....completly new way of life for you. I wish you the best of luck!

*in really small cheerleader yell and a kick **chris gets here in one month from today**yahh*

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Timeline

*giggle*

Chris loves to go grocery shopping with me. I think he is just facinated by it. However I love to go grocery shopping in England. But normally it is insanly crowded.

I am sure you will get used to it. You are very brave.....completly new way of life for you. I wish you the best of luck!

*in really small cheerleader yell and a kick **chris gets here in one month from today**yahh*

Yay! The last month will go pretty quickly. :D

Yes, Kat it is a "struggle" at first, especially all that yellow cheese? Ewwww. Another ex-pat I know said it's pay-backs for laughing at all the Yanks using the English language "incorrectly"!!!

Sent forms to attorney 10-12-06

NOA1...........................11-17-06

NOA2............................2-15-07

NVC rcv'd......................2-22-07

NVC sent 2 embassy.......2-23-07

Rcv'd Packet 3................3-2-07

Packet 3 sent..................3-9-07

Medical scheduled............3-29-07

Interview-Approved.........4-19-07

Flight to USA....................5-26-07

Wedding..........................5-30-07

AOS Journey

Applied for SSN in married name .........6-27-07

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP to Chicago......6-29-07

SSN received (Wow! that was quick!).....7-3-07

NOA1 for AOS and AP ..........................7-16-07 (EAD amount wrong...oops, added $70 extra for biometrics

Checks cashed for AOS and AP.............7-19-07

Passed Michigan Driver's Test................7-31-07

Biometrics for AOS ..............................8-01-07

AP approved........................................8-09-07 (Day 24)

AOS Interview......................................10-25-07 (APPROVED)

Card production ordered.......................10-30-07

GC rec'd..............................................11-5-07 (w/effective date 10-25-07

Removing Conditions

Mailed pkg........................................9-10-09

NOA .................................................9-14-09

Biometrics.........................................10-23-09

Card Production Ordered (At Last!!).01-13-10

I find it hard finding things that I've never used in the UK.

Corn Starch! I didn't know if it was a liquid, solid etc or where it would be. I ended up calling my mother in law and asking her.

I now take Dave with me, he's used to deciphering my shopping list when I write mince, washing up liquid and bin bags!

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: Timeline
Yes, Kat it is a "struggle" at first, especially all that yellow cheese? Ewwww. Another ex-pat I know said it's pay-backs for laughing at all the Yanks using the English language "incorrectly"!!!

The American Revolution happened to coincide with a lot of changes in the English language, so the split between the US and the UK exaggerated the differences between our dialects because of that. Also, spelling was not standardized in either country for many years following the revolution, and many words still do not have a single standardized spelling. Many words even have multiple 'correct' pronunciations.

British people often make the argument that American English is 'wrong' because the rest of the English-speaking world tends to use British spellings. Americans could make the equally solid argument that we threw off English rule long before the British had a chance to impose their dictatorial standards in our school system...like they did in every other British possession.

Also...the British seem to think that the English language was a 'gift' to us. It wasn't. We WERE you until we threw you out, and it's pretty arrogant to assume that we would treat the language like some fine piece of china that has to eventually be returned to its owner, unscratched and undamaged. When you colonize far-flung places and impose your language on them, you have to expect people to put their own twist on the language. It's natural. Languages are dynamic. They change. Get used to it.

After living here for six years, I'm pretty tired of being told by co-workers who can't spell or use apostrophes correctly that my English is 'wrong'. :wacko:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I personally dont consider any language as a "gift" ( btw gifts are not usually returned - whatever the condition it may be). Language is a tool - a method of communication. Myself I was under the impression that the migrants ( before the american government of the day decided it resented the taxation by a island so far away called Britain) were actually a mixed bunch - from all corners of europe - dutch irish british france etc ...so i suspect the "english " being used in american is probably influencedby this. It is interesting to note - i have been told by french canadians that the french they use is slightly different to French in france - and likewise spanish spoken in spain differs to the spanish spoke in other parts of the world.

Language is certainly a fascinating debate thereare so many views on it....

I have a very distinct memory of wandering around the Safeway in the Brunswick Centre near Russell Square back in 1993, when I was first in London on a term abroad. I got a really blank look from the shop assistant when I asked where I could find Saran Wrap -- he had no idea what I was talking about and I ended up saying things like, "it's clear plastic, really thin, it sticks to itself, you wrap things you want to put in the fridge in it..." I ended up miming pulling it out of the box and off the roll...

*blank look*

"Oh," he said, brightening. "You mean cling film!"

:huh::lol:

I'm such a tool sometimes.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

yes. American "yellow" cheese is gross. never liked it. But there are loads of other cheeses!! :)

I can even find a good selection of English and Irish cheese now. But I can't find much imported beer!! :(

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.