Emancipation

EI Issue

237 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I guess some of my frustration is that everything is on "wait and see" mode.. EI, AOS, LIFE IN GENERAL until all these issues get sorted out. Plus I struggle with being self supportive for so long and now I'm in a strange country without daily work, and it's all a bit much..

SO I'm kinda like EI g'imme my friggin' money!

You hit the nail on the head, Emancipation. Couple that with having to leave everything behind then trying to establish a new identity in the US, it does get tiresome. In fact, that's one of the suggestions we should give to the newbies.... purchase a sturdy folder and carry it with you at all times. Place inside copies and originals of all NOA's, marriage certificates, SSN cards, passports, residency cards, travel documents, etc. Be prepared to prove you exist but to be denied at every step because no one knows the rules except you. And be nice. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for that encouragement KriKit.. i appreciate it.. this week I've been so close to a breakdown. Now the sun's back, i'm feeling more positive. Your words helped too :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Thanks for that encouragement KriKit.. i appreciate it.. this week I've been so close to a breakdown. Now the sun's back, i'm feeling more positive. Your words helped too :)

Awwww. Anytime, sweetie. Been there, got the t-shirt. My poor husband's got the battlescars to prove it too. :lol: I remember standing in the shower crying my heart out one day. I had just hung up the phone with the customer service department of our (joint) bank who wouldn't help me because I didn't have the last 4 digits of my SSN to give him. (I had yet to receive it.) When the guy asked for my husband's SSN and birth date I mixed up the year and my husband was like "You don't know what YEAR I was born?!!!" That was the last straw. I quietly hung up the phone, closed the bedroom and bathroom doors, turned on the shower, and wept. Until then, my husband had no idea how each, seemingly minor, obstacle had been building up into a wall which I was beginning to feel I would never be able to climb. It's the adjustment phase, and it passes. Feel free to PM me any time, Michelle. You are not alone. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Krikit,

Thanks for extending your sympathetic heart and hand to my wife. I see the frustration and anger she feels at the paperwork issues going on on both sides of the border and there isn't really much I can do except do my best at listening and just giving her the room she needs to express her frustrations. You are someone she can really relate to because you have gone through this already. Thanks for being her friend..it means a lot to me.

Timeline

I love you baby.. no one else I'd be on this journey with.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Awwww. You both brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. (F) Your husband is so sweet, Michelle. I can see why you married him. :)

Hang in there, kid. You're still raw from the transition. Eventually, you'll develop a thick skin and these bumps in the road will be behind you.

All the best.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I really am blessed Kritkit.. beyond words...

One who has been through a very painful 1st marriage and survived.. I have been blessed with a hubby who is gentle, caring, and listens to all my whining.. He is God's best for me I believe!

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

OOPS forgot to mention that I got another card in the mail last night. One for first 2 weeks in April. I filled it out and stuffed it/slammed it in the mail box... Felt good :)

My best guess is i'm not approved, but I'm not denied either so they are keeping the cards a comin'... They have my new "evidence" and hopefully that will straighten everything out. I half expected a phone call from them the end of this week to give it to me about the SSA papers but nothing as of now. We'll just have to wait and see.. We all know you can't rush GOV paperwork.

The Service Canada Website helps btw you need your 4 digit access code from your cards to get there.. I can check that as frequently as I want to and it will let me know when they have made a decision. it is updated early evenings Sunday - Thursday. It also shows payments issued.. (that's all i care about really :) )

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hmmmmm....I am a K3er

I just received my cards will sign and send back manana!

I previously sent my NOA1 and my transfer notice, I hope thats good enough for

there claim approval dept...if not I am sure I will hear about...LOL

does anyone know what the maximum time you can collect EI?

You K-3's are different.. you actually DO have to wait for the EAD before you can collect EI... Sorry, but NOA's aren't going to cut it for you..

YAH THATS MY PROBLEM...MY EAD IS HOLDING ME UP FROM COLLECTING MY $$$ MY 90 DAYS ARE COMING UP FAST!

HOPEFULLY I CAN GET SOMEBODIES ATTENTION AT THAT TIME!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I just got the sheet from EI asking me a few questions including asking me to submit a photocopy of my EAD which I don't have yet. Hopefully you'll get your approval soon!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
OOPS forgot to mention that I got another card in the mail last night. One for first 2 weeks in April. I filled it out and stuffed it/slammed it in the mail box... Felt good :)

My best guess is i'm not approved, but I'm not denied either so they are keeping the cards a comin'... They have my new "evidence" and hopefully that will straighten everything out. I half expected a phone call from them the end of this week to give it to me about the SSA papers but nothing as of now. We'll just have to wait and see.. We all know you can't rush GOV paperwork.

The Service Canada Website helps btw you need your 4 digit access code from your cards to get there.. I can check that as frequently as I want to and it will let me know when they have made a decision. it is updated early evenings Sunday - Thursday. It also shows payments issued.. (that's all i care about really :) )

Hi.......... just wondering ....... how did you answer question 4, Were you ready, willing and capable of working each day?

I just got my first batch of reporting cards starting from March 4 up to April 14th..... I want to send them back in the mail tomorrow but not sure how to answer that one. I was thinking I would just check "yes".... I am willing, able and capable..... just not allowed to....... seems kinda weird. I got my 4 digit access code today too and was wondering what exactly is the website you speak of to check the progress of things on?

I was reading some of the other messages on this thread about life being tough, the tears and all..... the transition....... I just wanted to let everyone know I'm glad they posted these things about feelings as I am having a really tough time starting the last week or two. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels like this. I'm sure my hubby thinks I don't love him and just want to go back to Canada. Right now if I could take him with me and go back my world would seem %500 wonderful. I feel like I'm just hanging in limbo.... like my life has stopped and it seems like it's never going to be back on track again....thinking I should own shares in the Kleenex comany...... No job, no money of my own, no car, no friends,what feels like no identity....no family........ I really miss my daughter, son-in-law and especially my 2 year old grand daughter....... and on top of it all.... I sit here alone while hubby is at work watching tornado watches and warnings on the local TV station........ geesh...... snow never killed mass numbers of people at once! Well I guess that's it for my venting for now...... thanks to everyone on this board!

Susan in Tulsa,OK

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Timeline

Susan,

The address for the EI site is www.servicecanada.ca Press English then Look for the Employment button on the left - click it then look on the right to "View and Update your EI information" That will ask for your SIN, DOB, Access code (4 digits) and your Province - Out of state claims is always ON (Ontario) :)

I did put ready, willing and able to work. Cause you are.. According to CDN rules (you are work authorized) - but by US rules you ain't .. crazy I know, but its the circus we now live in called Gov. Paperwork..

Just remember to keep a list of at least 3 contacts/week you've made in regards to employment - I basically did up a resume and started e-mailing it out to everyplace i could find in the local papers. EI could ask for that so it's good to have it ready :)

And thank YOU for sharing your thoughts and struggles. I totally identify with what you are saying.. it is so incredibly difficult to say goodbye to everyone, and start all over again. It's like you are 18 all over again starting out fresh, although you KNOW you're not 18 anymore.. and I HATED high school.. *sigh.. know you are not alone, and this bit is hard.. I keep running into others who have been through their first year and a bit and they say it gets better.. I'm trusting that. If your hubby is like mine, he's patient and understanding, lets me vent and cry and curse his governement and still loves me. I am blessed to have him on this journey with me. Without my man I could not do this.. VENT away.. I need to vent too, just glad to have this forum to do some of it in !!

You have a daughter back home and a grandchild... that must be so so hard.. our thoughts are with you as you adjust.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline
Susan,

The address for the EI site is www.servicecanada.ca Press English then Look for the Employment button on the left - click it then look on the right to "View and Update your EI information" That will ask for your SIN, DOB, Access code (4 digits) and your Province - Out of state claims is always ON (Ontario) :)

I did put ready, willing and able to work. Cause you are.. According to CDN rules (you are work authorized) - but by US rules you ain't .. crazy I know, but its the circus we now live in called Gov. Paperwork..

Just remember to keep a list of at least 3 contacts/week you've made in regards to employment - I basically did up a resume and started e-mailing it out to everyplace i could find in the local papers. EI could ask for that so it's good to have it ready :)

And thank YOU for sharing your thoughts and struggles. I totally identify with what you are saying.. it is so incredibly difficult to say goodbye to everyone, and start all over again. It's like you are 18 all over again starting out fresh, although you KNOW you're not 18 anymore.. and I HATED high school.. *sigh.. know you are not alone, and this bit is hard.. I keep running into others who have been through their first year and a bit and they say it gets better.. I'm trusting that. If your hubby is like mine, he's patient and understanding, lets me vent and cry and curse his governement and still loves me. I am blessed to have him on this journey with me. Without my man I could not do this.. VENT away.. I need to vent too, just glad to have this forum to do some of it in !!

You have a daughter back home and a grandchild... that must be so so hard.. our thoughts are with you as you adjust.

Thank you for your prompt reply and information. I will check out the website right away and get registered on it. My hubby is very patient and understanding, just holds me when I cry....... he feels bad because he can't really do much for me other than let me know he loves me and is here for me....... actually I have 3 daughters back in Alberta, they are all married but only one lived in Calgary where I lived so I saw her all the time so the seperation is harder than with my other two daughters who haven't lived in the close vicinity to me for a couple of years. I am so greatful for this board also, it's a small world afterall......

One plus of living in the US is I can vote for American Idol!

Take Care,

Susan in Tulsa, OK

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

March 13/07 - US Entry

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

July 18/07 -Biometrics

I feel like I'm just hanging in limbo....

I hear ya. Take a look at my location. LOL

thinking I should own shares in the Kleenex comany......

LOL. That's funny.

No job, no money of my own, no car, no friends,what feels like no identity....no family........ I really miss my daughter, son-in-law and especially my 2 year old grand daughter....... and on top of it all.... I sit here alone while hubby is at work watching tornado watches and warnings on the local TV station........ geesh...... snow never killed mass numbers of people at once! Well I guess that's it for my venting for now...... thanks to everyone on this board!
our thoughts are with you as you adjust.

Thanks for speaking for me, Michelle. Our thoughts are definitely with you, Susan.

Believe me, Susan, it won't take long until you adjust. You will go back to Canada for a visit and think "I can't WAIT till I get home." Home is where your heart is. Right now, your heart is torn. But when you isolate who needs you most.... and where you would rather be.... your husband will win out. Your daugher has her husband and child. You have your husband. You will always be able to visit one another, and that will make seeing one another even more special.

This is not to say that your feelings aren't valid. They certainly are. But everyone will adjust and life will go on. Darn. I sure wish we all lived closer. We could have our own little "I'm Sad... Are You Sad?" club. We could all get together at various donut shops until we find a good one and then vent to our heart's content. LOL

iagree.gif

Timeline
I feel like I'm just hanging in limbo....

I hear ya. Take a look at my location. LOL

thinking I should own shares in the Kleenex comany......

LOL. That's funny.

No job, no money of my own, no car, no friends,what feels like no identity....no family........ I really miss my daughter, son-in-law and especially my 2 year old grand daughter....... and on top of it all.... I sit here alone while hubby is at work watching tornado watches and warnings on the local TV station........ geesh...... snow never killed mass numbers of people at once! Well I guess that's it for my venting for now...... thanks to everyone on this board!
our thoughts are with you as you adjust.

Thanks for speaking for me, Michelle. Our thoughts are definitely with you, Susan.

Believe me, Susan, it won't take long until you adjust. You will go back to Canada for a visit and think "I can't WAIT till I get home." Home is where your heart is. Right now, your heart is torn. But when you isolate who needs you most.... and where you would rather be.... your husband will win out. Your daugher has her husband and child. You have your husband. You will always be able to visit one another, and that will make seeing one another even more special.

This is not to say that your feelings aren't valid. They certainly are. But everyone will adjust and life will go on. Darn. I sure wish we all lived closer. We could have our own little "I'm Sad... Are You Sad?" club. We could all get together at various donut shops until we find a good one and then vent to our heart's content. LOL

Thank you for your understanding and kind words............ very much appreciated. I hear you on the donut shop thing..... I can hear the shop owners........."here come those Canadian girls, eh"....... LOL

I'm off tomorrow for my Biometrics appointment in Oklahoma City........ the change of scenery will be nice.

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

March 13/07 - US Entry

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.