sarah and hicham

Have your husbands friends married American?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Since there's been so much talk about red flags lately I was wondering what you guys think or know about your foreign spouse's friends and if they have married American women and come to the US.

Do you think that could be a red flag? I know that having family members in the US can be a red flag and the Consulate might think that the man just wants to join his family... but what about your SO's friends?

So what do you guys think? Do you think that if your spouse has friends who marry American women as well that it's something to worry about or a potential red flag?

Edited by sarah and hicham

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there's been so much talk about red flags lately I was wondering what you guys think or know about your foreign spouse's friends and if they have married American women and come to the US.

Do you think that could be a red flag? I know that having family members in the US can be a red flag and the Consulate might think that the man just wants to join his family... but what about your SO's friends?

So what do you guys think? Do you think that if your spouse has friends who marry American women as well that it's something to worry about or a potential red flag?

Not a red flag - best example (maybe) are military men/women who marry foreign spouses - doesn't seem to inhibit their process. IMO

Timeline

Not a red flag - best example (maybe) are military men/women who marry foreign spouses - doesn't seem to inhibit their process. IMO

To clarify I didn't really mean a red flag with the Consulate or USCIS I meant could it be a red flag in one's relationship during any point of their engagement or marriage whether in the US or not. I'm wondering if someone whose SO has lots of friends who marry or take interest in American women if that could seem like a red flag if his friends have married the same way he has. Could that be a red flag for the American woman?

Edited by sarah and hicham

To clarify I didn't really mean a red flag with the Consulate or USCIS I meant could it be a red flag in one's relationship during any point of their engagement or marriage whether in the US or not. I'm wondering if someone whose SO has lots of friends who marry or take interest in American women if that could seem like a red flag if his friends have married the same way he has. Could that be a red flag for the American woman?

I see..my mistake.

Short answer - it certainly could be, yes but it's also possible they're friends because they like/are-married-to american women too..

Timeline

I see..my mistake.

Short answer - it certainly could be, yes but it's also possible they're friends because they like/are-married-to american women too..

I'm not talking about friends who become friends because they have an American wife in common I'm talkign about long time friends from back home who all happen to marry American women.

How would they know?

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

WELL, HERE'S A POSSIBLY RELATED QUESTION. I keep hearing this: Many devout Muslim men come here and get married to the person they love. Eventually, they become Americanized and begin clubbing, drinking, carousing, playing around with other women, spending money "like kid in a candy shop." Eventually divorced. (In one case, 4 of the 5 men ended up divorced that this person knew.) Especially if they marry an older woman (could it be they want a green card?) PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, JUST WHAT I KEEP HEARING FROM MORE THAN A FEW MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE FRIENDS IN THE COMMUNITY SO PLEASE DON'T JUMP ME ABOUT THIS BEING MY OPINION. Just wondering if you have heard of this kind of thing happening a lot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

WELL, HERE'S A POSSIBLY RELATED QUESTION. I keep hearing this: Many devout Muslim men come here and get married to the person they love. Eventually, they become Americanized and begin clubbing, drinking, carousing, playing around with other women, spending money "like kid in a candy shop." Eventually divorced. (In one case, 4 of the 5 men ended up divorced that this person knew.) Especially if they marry an older woman (could it be they want a green card?) PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, JUST WHAT I KEEP HEARING FROM MORE THAN A FEW MEN AND WOMEN WHO HAVE FRIENDS IN THE COMMUNITY SO PLEASE DON'T JUMP ME ABOUT THIS BEING MY OPINION. Just wondering if you have heard of this kind of thing happening a lot.

PS--WHAT I AM REALLY LOOKING FOR IS SUCCESS STORIES YOU HAVE HEARD INVOLVING AMERICAN WOMEN MARRYING MOROCCAN MEN. LIKE I SAID, PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ME THAT I AM CRITICIZING THE GUYS. I'M JUST WANTING TO SEE BOTH SIDES OF THIS COIN.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
How would they know?

In his interview, they asked my husband point blank if he had friends or family in the states. In some instances I do think it could be a red flag. Just depends on the situation.

Filed: Timeline

Interesting topic Sarah!

Let's see, in Jordan, Mohammed owned an internet cafe. When we went back this March, we visited the old cafe and none of his regulars are there anymore! Why? Cuz they are all now safely in America. Belal, is in California. Belal's brother, Jalal, is in Michigan. Aymen is in Georgia, Noor is in Missiouri/Texas,,(theres more, but you get my point) ,, So to answer your question about husband's friends marrying an American....yes and they are all here now including his 2 cousins.

Red flag? Don't know. We've been married almost 5 years now. I will repeat what I have said before on this forum, it's not what happens during immigration. It's how you both work at making a marriage work AFTER they get here that counts.

Jackie (F)

"successfully gross and abnormal" :P

Edited by jmagayreh

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well a long time friend of my Husbands.. Introduced us.. She got married from a Muslim Matrimonial site and came to the States... SO She got a Visa to the States. I gave it a alittle bit of thought about it being a Red Flag... But I think Family would be a BIgger one??? I have too many other red flags to worry about this one :blink:

Edited by deemabrouk

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i think it could be a red flag...but you'd have to factor all the other red flags in there to be sure. say, if that was your only red flag, i wouldn't worry ;) if you already had a few, i would definitely begin to wonder if i haven't already!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

Just to clarify because I think some people might not see what I'm asking. I'm talking about it being a red flag to the woman, the fiancee, the wife... NOT to the Consulate.

I think personally that if all of Hicham's friends had American girlfriends and were coming to the US by marrying them then I might wonder. It would seem odd to me that Hicham and all of his friends were somehow meeting American women online and that all of them eventually ended up in the US married to Americans.

To me it seems like it could be a possible red flag.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i understood you, sarah. my response is meant towards what the woman would think if she already knew in her heart they had red flags...then also this came up. i'd seriously begin to wonder at that point.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.