pluvka

questions about packet 3 from consulate

4 posts in this topic

okay, so i got the packet from the consulate in montreal. i read over everything already. do i really need to have everything on the checklist before i send it (and the ds-230 pt 1) back? i won't have the police certificate for at least another month. i'm worried that if i send the completed form back in the next week, i might get an interview before i actually have everything. i know it says the average wait is 2-4 months, but everything else in my case so far has gone REALLY quickly (we sent out the first batch of paperwork at the end of january and got the first and second notice of actions within 2 weeks).

the ds-230 is just a general 'k visa' form. so when it asks for the name of my spouse, what do i put? i'm obviously not married yet since i'm doing the k1 visa, not k3. am i supposed to leave it blank, put the name of my fiance (it doesn't ask for that at all) or what?

it asks for an address history but there is only space for the city, province and country (no street or number). don't they want to know my actual address history, or just the city i have lived in my whole life?

it also asks what occupation i intend to work in the US, but i have no idea. i don't have a career (i'm 20) and while most of my jobs have been retail, that doesn't mean that's what i'll be working in the US. any ideas for what i should write down?

i took a look at the ds-156 forms. they have an expiration date of 2004. should i print more recent forms off the internet? i've read that the montreal consulate prefers their own forms but they're expired!

since it's a 'nonimmigrant visa' form there's all sorts of questions i can't really answer. for example, when do i intend to arrive in the US (obviously that depends on the interview date), how long do i intend to stay (uh... forever?), the purpose of my 'trip', who's paying for my 'trip', etc. how do i answer these questions??

last summer i was denied entry to the US because i didn't have sufficient ties to canada (i wasn't engaged yet, but we were dating and the officials accused me of trying to illegally immigrate). apparently they didn't write down an official reason for me being denied. the ds-156 asks if i've ever been denied a visa. i don't need a visitor's visa to enter the US from canada, but i WAS denied entry, so does that count?

also this may seem like a stupid question but i want to get everything right - it asks if anyone has ever filed for a visa for me - do i put my fiance's name, or just 'fiance'?

i noticed at the bottom of the form it says i'll need the birth certificate, etcetc. and ALSO, evidence of engagement. i don't have that - we don't have rings or wedding plans or anything like that, we aren't having a big traditional marriage and the visa process is too expensive to worry about things like rings right now. is this going to be a problem at my interview? i've read on the forums that this isn't a big deal but it actually says it's necessary on the form :\

one last question. for the medical it says i need written certification if i've ever been treated for mental illness. i was treated for depression a few years ago. what kind of certification do i need? do i just ask my doctor (who treated me) for a note stating the type and duration of treatment and that i am okay now?

sorry for so many questions but i really don't want to mess anything up. thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Did you apply for a name clearance or did you have to do fingerprints? Name clearances take a few business days, fingerprints can take months. Knowing that will help in advising when you should send the checklist back

2. Put none. Never leave anything blank, it will have an answer even if it’s none or n/a

3. They ask for what they want, so city/province is fine

4. TBD will work, check the example forms in the guides as well

5. Mine were also from 2004 and I used them

6. Again, see the example forms.

7. Always be honest, you can offer an explanation at the interview if it comes up

8. Is it a yes/no only question or does it ask for name details?

9. The USC’s updated letter of intent (this will be asked for in your packet 4) will be sufficient as proof of engagement

10. Can’t help you there, sorry.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

1. Did you apply for a name clearance or did you have to do fingerprints? Name clearances take a few business days, fingerprints can take months. Knowing that will help in advising when you should send the checklist back

2. Put none. Never leave anything blank, it will have an answer even if it’s none or n/a

3. They ask for what they want, so city/province is fine

4. TBD will work, check the example forms in the guides as well

5. Mine were also from 2004 and I used them

6. Again, see the example forms.

7. Always be honest, you can offer an explanation at the interview if it comes up

8. Is it a yes/no only question or does it ask for name details?

9. The USC’s updated letter of intent (this will be asked for in your packet 4) will be sufficient as proof of engagement

10. Can’t help you there, sorry.

i got a name clearance, but they take 1-2 months here, not a few business days. i've had one before (for a job involving working with the disabled) and it took about a month, maybe 1.5 months. it's already been three weeks since i filled out the form and paid for it, though.

also, i don't plan on lying about being denied but i don't know if that actually *counts* as being denied a visa, since it wasn't a visa (or does that count as a visitor's visa). i might call them and ask if i have time, but i'd have to call from work or something because i'm not usually home when they're open.

question 8 - it says 'has anyone ever filed for a visa for you' and then it just says 'who'. i'm assuming that means name, but there's nowhere on the form that asks who my fiance is so i just want to make it clear that he is my fiance.

thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Always answer the questions truthfully :yes:

Many people here have been denied at some point(whether it be for a visa or denied entry). It is always best to be 100% honest.

As far as the employment question-for my fiance I wrote: "With proper work authorization, employer unknown". if you look on the "guides" section here, you will see some answers to your questions. Take a look at the sample forms also.

good luck with everything

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.