Roman371

Timeframe to file I751 if married 2+ years before AOS?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is it true the if we were married more than 2 years at the time of AOS approval (green card), that we do not need to wait 2 years to file the I751? My wife is here on a K-1 Visa, and her AOS date was 25 months after we were married.

If I do not need to wait, do I simply file the I751 now and she gets the 10 year green card unconditionally?

Thanks very much.

Is it true the if we were married more than 2 years at the time of AOS approval (green card), that we do not need to wait 2 years to file the I751? My wife is here on a K-1 Visa, and her AOS date was 25 months after we were married.

If I do not need to wait, do I simply file the I751 now and she gets the 10 year green card unconditionally?

Thanks very much.

If you were married more than two years when AOS is approved (date the first green card is issued), she should get the 10-year green card automatically and she will never need to file the I-751. (However, at their discretion, the USCIS can issue a two-year green card instead, in which case she would file the I-751 one year and nine months later.)

Just to be clear: it took 25 months from your marriage until the date your AOS was approved?

Edited to add: If the I-751 needs to be filed, the immigrant files it, although the US citizen spouse needs to sign as well. But it's the immigrant's petition, not the USC's.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks very much.

If you were married more than two years when AOS is approved (date the first green card is issued), she should get the 10-year green card automatically and she will never need to file the I-751. (However, at their discretion, the USCIS can issue a two-year green card instead, in which case she would file the I-751 one year and nine months later.)

Just to be clear: it took 25 months from your marriage until the date your AOS was approved?

Edited to add: If the I-751 needs to be filed, the immigrant files it, although the US citizen spouse needs to sign as well. But it's the immigrant's petition, not the USC's.

That would depend if your status is CR-1 or IR-1.

However, the law is clear, if the individuals were married for more than two years at the time the Permanent Resident Status was issued, the status should automatically be IR-1. The adjudicator has no discretion on this issue.

The time when it can slip through the cracks is if the interview was performed before the two year anniversary and the Permanent Resdient status was approved after the two year anniversary. In this case, the individual should make an Infopass appointment to take steps to change their status from CR-1 to IR-1.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

However, the law is clear, if the individuals were married for more than two years at the time the Permanent Resident Status was issued, the status should automatically be IR-1. The adjudicator has no discretion on this issue.

The time when it can slip through the cracks is if the interview was performed before the two year anniversary and the Permanent Resdient status was approved after the two year anniversary. In this case, the individual should make an Infopass appointment to take steps to change their status from CR-1 to IR-1.

zyggy,

Folinskyinla has reminded us that there are some DAOs who interpret the law as stating that ALL K-1s get conditions regardless of the length of the marriage at adjustment.

OP: how long is your wife's Green Card valid for?

Did you read the pinned post at the top of this forum?

How will an InfoPass appointment shave any time off the I-751 application for you? The I-751 laws do clearly state that the immigrant must be a Permanent Resident for 2 years before the conditions can be lifted. If you have conditions on the residency, it doesn't matter how long you've been married, they can not be lifted until she has been a PR for 2 years.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

zyggy,

Folinskyinla has reminded us that there are some DAOs who interpret the law as stating that ALL K-1s get conditions regardless of the length of the marriage at adjustment.

How will an InfoPass appointment shave any time off the I-751 application for you? The I-751 laws do clearly state that the immigrant must be a Permanent Resident for 2 years before the conditions can be lifted. If you have conditions on the residency, it doesn't matter how long you've been married, they can not be lifted until she has been a PR for 2 years.

Thanks for the replies, here is a rough timeline...

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

10/03 AOS followup interview

01/12/05 Green card issued, expires 01/12/07

Now... waiting to file I751

I read somewhere that if the greencard is issued more that 2 years after marriage, you can get immediate IR status, and not need the I751. That is why I was thinking infopass. Would this be a wasted trip?

Thank you.

zyggy,

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

I read somewhere that if the greencard is issued more that 2 years after marriage, you can get immediate IR status, and not need the I751. That is why I was thinking infopass. Would this be a wasted trip?

Thank you.

The critical element missing from your timeline is the date the PR was approved. If you received approval for adjustment of status prior to your 2 year wedding anniversary, then the conditional GC is issued (barring any alternative interpretation of a K-1, as meauxna stated).

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

zyggy,

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

Thank you.

The critical element missing from your timeline is the date the PR was approved. If you received approval for adjustment of status prior to your 2 year wedding anniversary, then the conditional GC is issued (barring any alternative interpretation of a K-1, as meauxna stated).

If the GC expires 1/12/07 Then the resident since must be 1/12/05, right?

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

zyggy,

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

Thank you.

Yes, but is issue date and approval date the same?

"diaddie mermaid"

zyggy,

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

Thank you.

Yes, the approval date is 1/12/05, thanks.

zyggy,

12/31/02 married in US

07/03 AOS interview

Thank you.

Yes, the approval date is 1/12/05, thanks.

I-751 can be submitted 90 days prior to the expiry date on the conditional green card. In your case, 90 dyas prior to Jan 12, 2007.

"diaddie mermaid"

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thank you.

Some people have made INFOPASS appointments to make the argument that they should have gotten a ten year card instead of a two year card, because LPR was granted when they had been married for longer than 2 years. Some have been successful, some have not. As Meauxna mentioned, some DOs take the view that all K-1s should receive the conditional card regardless of how long the couple had been married at the time of AOS approval.

In every case that I've heard of, they went immediately upon receiving the "wrong" card and did not wait over 1 year before addressing the issue. Not sure if that would make a difference but just wanted to include the info.

Would it be a wasted trip? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't mind taking the time off, you can go there and make the argument. Of course, it may be simpler to just file I-751 when the time comes. I guess it depends on whether you'd rather spend a day at USCIS arguing and possibly not getting anything for it, or spend a day preparing your I-751 packet at the end of this year, and paying the $205 filing fee.

In either case, she would be eligible for naturalization in January 2008.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Thank you.

Some people have made INFOPASS appointments to make the argument that they should have gotten a ten year card instead of a two year card, because LPR was granted when they had been married for longer than 2 years. Some have been successful, some have not. As Meauxna mentioned, some DOs take the view that all K-1s should receive the conditional card regardless of how long the couple had been married at the time of AOS approval.

In every case that I've heard of, they went immediately upon receiving the "wrong" card and did not wait over 1 year before addressing the issue. Not sure if that would make a difference but just wanted to include the info.

Would it be a wasted trip? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't mind taking the time off, you can go there and make the argument. Of course, it may be simpler to just file I-751 when the time comes. I guess it depends on whether you'd rather spend a day at USCIS arguing and possibly not getting anything for it, or spend a day preparing your I-751 packet at the end of this year, and paying the $205 filing fee.

In either case, she would be eligible for naturalization in January 2008.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have a good understanding of where we are at. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.