Darkchild80

I don't know where to begin???

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site! I have been dating an awesome guy from canada for a few months. I haven't given much thought to immigration issues until a wedding proposal on my birthday. I live on the US border and he lives on the Canada border. We easily commute back and forth to visit without problems but the issue of marriage comes into play and we want to live together. He eventually wants to live and work in the US. I would not mind acquiring Canadian citizenship. What would be the best process for us? How long does it take to receive proper papers? Thank you! Sorry for the length!

12/29/06-entered USA

1/03/07 Married

AOS JOURNEY BEGINS.....

1/4/07-mailed AOS/EAD

1/5/07-AOS/EAD received at Chicago Lockbox

1/13/07-NOA 1 (dated 1/9/07)

1/15/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/16/07-touched

1/22/07-touched

1/23/07-email stating rfe is coming :(

1/24/07-AOS/EAD touched

1/28/07-AOS touched

1/30/07-Biometrics appointment

1/31/07- mail RFE to Missouri

2/1/07-AOS/EAD touched

2/6/07-Processing on case resumes!!!

2/16/07-Transferred to California Service Center

2/20/07-Touched

2/26/07-Case pending at California Service Center

2/27/07-touched

3/2/07-touched

3/5/07-touched

3/8/07-touched

3/8/07-GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!! My wonderful birthday gift

3/14/07-Green card in hands

Note to self...... Lift conditions 12/08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

First of all welcome to VJ. Secondly, I would look at the top of the page and read the guides. You can file for the K1 and it is fiance visa where your boyfriend can come to USA and you marry. It is usually the shortest of the visas. If you marry in Canada you can file the K3 or CR1 but you will be separated longer. Good luck on your journey.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on the proposal! Read the guides...you'll find a wealth of information there. Best of luck!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey sounds like my situation. except I wish he lived closer to the border. I was in the same boat as trying to decide who should be the one to leave their country. I have done resaerch on the internet to try to find the best possible route....

There is hardly ANY detailed info on bringing a someone from usa to Canada. Canada doesn't have a fiance visa. If you have been together for over a year he can apply for you as common law spouse and you can move to Canada and u dont have to get married right away (its up to you when you do). Or u can get married in Canada and he applies for you as a married spouse. I have never found detailed info on the process of this (including paperwork) or how long it takes. (this is why i went for usa route)

On the other hand there is LOTS of info for him to move to the USA (including this site!!) as a fiance or married spouse. As a fiance you'll have 90 days after entry to get married. The length of processing time for visa greatly depends on the service centre. you can find almost all info for the visa off this site and links provided to official sites.

Either he moves or you move its going to be lengthly and fustrating at times. It's stupid how all you want to do is be together but each other's country looks at fiance like he/she is a terrist or something. i hate border laws.

Love will prevail! best of luck on your decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.