Mags

British TV ~ What Were/Are Your Favourite Shows?

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
It's weird...we don't watch any British shows at all except for Doctor Who. Everything else we watch (24, Lost, House, ER, etc) are all American shows. I think right now UK TV is going through a serious dry spell. A lot of people mentioned shows like The Office and Spaced as being their favorites; those shows haven't even been in production for years and fewer than 20 episodes were made of either one of them, which tells you something about the quality of television on offer at the moment.

I'm guessing a lot of US TV is rubbish too; most of the rubbish never makes it over here, so what does make it over here makes it look better by comparison.

As for the office, like many other UK comedy shows (eg fawlty towers, phoenix nights, I'm Alan Partridge), they had a couple of great seasons and then stopped. Its better this way because you remember it at the top of its game. The us version of the office is already into its 3rd season and will probably keep going until they find something better (its rubbish by the way). In UK it may take a couple of years of mediocrity but there will be a future classic tv show right around the corner.

I've seen the US version of The Office; I think it's great. In some ways it's better than the UK version. :whistle:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
It's weird...we don't watch any British shows at all except for Doctor Who. Everything else we watch (24, Lost, House, ER, etc) are all American shows. I think right now UK TV is going through a serious dry spell. A lot of people mentioned shows like The Office and Spaced as being their favorites; those shows haven't even been in production for years and fewer than 20 episodes were made of either one of them, which tells you something about the quality of television on offer at the moment.

I'm guessing a lot of US TV is rubbish too; most of the rubbish never makes it over here, so what does make it over here makes it look better by comparison.

As for the office, like many other UK comedy shows (eg fawlty towers, phoenix nights, I'm Alan Partridge), they had a couple of great seasons and then stopped. Its better this way because you remember it at the top of its game. The us version of the office is already into its 3rd season and will probably keep going until they find something better (its rubbish by the way). In UK it may take a couple of years of mediocrity but there will be a future classic tv show right around the corner.

I've seen the US version of The Office; I think it's great. In some ways it's better than the UK version. :whistle:

The US version of the Office is my favorite comedy!!! It is hilarious!!! Griff (my Brit) also thinks its better than the UK version.

Sooooo much really shallow muck on tv over here. All the reality stuff like Bachelor, beauty and the geek, american idol, dancing with the stars all make me sick.

Most reality shows (esp. Dancing and Idol) are US versions of UK shows! I blame the UK! I read somewhere that reality tv is Britain's revenge for McDonalds.

The reason there are fewer episodes of UK shows is because 6 episodes are the norm for BBC series - the also don't have TV "seasons" like the US - the whole model of 22 episodes for a US series is pretty much dictated by the advertisers.

I like Newsnight and the news.

Edited by robinklake

90day.jpg

Sooooo much really shallow muck on tv over here. All the reality stuff like Bachelor, beauty and the geek, american idol, dancing with the stars all make me sick.

Most reality shows (esp. Dancing and Idol) are US versions of UK shows! I blame the UK! I read somewhere that reality tv is Britain's revenge for McDonalds.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's only fair. I mean, come on. :yes: You're absolutely right about US reality shows...most of them are knockoffs of UK reality shows, some of which are knockoffs of European reality shows. I think Big Brother started in The Netherlands originally...

The reason there are fewer episodes of UK shows is because 6 episodes are the norm for BBC series - the also don't have TV "seasons" like the US - the whole model of 22 episodes for a US series is pretty much dictated by the advertisers.

I like Newsnight and the news.

Oooh, I won't miss the BBC's news coverage or that git Jeremy Paxman, who thinks hard-hitting interviews consist of asking the same question 20 times in a row. :lol: I'll miss seeing the end of the Sky/Virgin Media playground fight though!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The US version of the Office is my favorite comedy!!! It is hilarious!!! Griff (my Brit) also thinks its better than the UK version.

Although I think Steve Carell is brilliant, we have to be honest here and say that no one is funnier than King Ricky Gervais. Comedy God, right here, right now! :lol:

I love the Office (US and UK), quite enjoyed the first season of Extras but thought the second season of Extras was TERRIBLE. The one with David Bowie being the nadir.

Oooh, I won't miss the BBC's news coverage or that git Jeremy Paxman, who thinks hard-hitting interviews consist of asking the same question 20 times in a row. :lol: I'll miss seeing the end of the Sky/Virgin Media playground fight though!

You'll get rid of Paxman but gain Sean Hannity

90day.jpg

Timeline
I love the Office (US and UK), quite enjoyed the first season of Extras but thought the second season of Extras was TERRIBLE. The one with David Bowie being the nadir.

I love Extras...but I couldn't watch it unless between fingers. It was EXCRUCIATING. I mean, Ricky Gervais is so good at playing that part that you felt embarrassed for him in everything.

Very clever!

I loved the first season of Extras...missed the second season. I still want to see it though. I do have to disagree with the poster who called Ricky Gervais a 'comic god'. He's OK, and The Office was definitely a brilliant show...but IMHO Steve Carell is about 1000% funnier.

As for Sean Hannity...we have a Sky subscription. Fox News is channel 510, so we already have Sean Hannity. We used to get Hannity & Colmes from 7-8am here but Fox shifted its schedule around and we now have the truly awful and dreadful bucket of puke that is RED EYE. I'd rather watch Hannity & Colmes; at least Sean Hannity is fun to laugh at. :lol:

Timeline

I loved the first season of Extras...missed the second season. I still want to see it though. I do have to disagree with the poster who called Ricky Gervais a 'comic god'. He's OK, and The Office was definitely a brilliant show...but IMHO Steve Carell is about 1000% funnier.

You're only as funny as your script...and the script was written by Ricky Gervais. Even the American version...so, I stand by my earlier observation of Comedy God! :lol:

Don't get me started on Red Eye -- the people on that are so smackable I actually worry I'll become violent and throw my television out the window

I hate that Andrew Levy guy that they have on at 'halftime.' He is SUCH an a$$. I don't know why I even watch it; I guess I'm waiting for Fox to axe it so I can go back to H&C or Brit Hume or ANYONE besides those idiots on Red Eye. I'd even watch Bill O'Reilly or Neil Cavuto over those guys, and Bill and Neil are pretty damn annoying. :blink:

You're only as funny as your script...and the script was written by Ricky Gervais. Even the American version...so, I stand by my earlier observation of Comedy God! :lol:

Yeah, but have you seen his standup routines? Blech! He's definitely talented, but I'll stop short of awarding him 'comic god' status. :luv:

Timeline

Yeah, but have you seen his standup routines? Blech! He's definitely talented, but I'll stop short of awarding him 'comic god' status. :luv:

We shall have to agree to differ on this I'm afraid. :P I've seen him live and thought he was brilliant!

We shall have to agree to differ on this I'm afraid. :P I've seen him live and thought he was brilliant!

That's OK; if we all liked the same thing, the world would be a pretty boring place.

I hate that Andrew Levy guy that they have on at 'halftime.' He is SUCH an a$$. I don't know why I even watch it; I guess I'm waiting for Fox to axe it so I can go back to H&C or Brit Hume or ANYONE besides those idiots on Red Eye. I'd even watch Bill O'Reilly or Neil Cavuto over those guys, and Bill and Neil are pretty damn annoying. :blink:

I often ask myself why do I watch so much Fox News? It gives me the same sensation as reality television -- strangely addictive and I feel a little gross afterwards, like I should go read War and Peace as penance for letting my brain rot. It must be the same reason in Victorian times, people would take the family to the local lunatic asylum for a fun day out watching the inmates. In the modern era we have Fox News, which allows us to view the ranting and mouth-frothing of the mentally deranged from the comfort of our own homes.

90day.jpg

He only wrote one episode for the American version, and the first series ran the same story lines as the UK one with Gervais's input. I found the first series just didn't translate and it was slow-paced and dull. Really crappy and embarrassing. Since then, it has only got better and is an extremely clever and funny show -- just as much as the UK version. Gervais has little to do with it anymore. The characters Ryan, Toby and Kelly all write for the show.

But having said all that, Gervais wouldn't have gotten very far without his writing partner, Steven Merchant. He's just as much a genius, only taller. ;) Extras was superb.

Did anyone enjoy Nighty Night, or was it just sicko me? I loved that show.

Edited by Lou Lou

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.