Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
My first trip before I even met my husband I stayed at a little family run hotel with my college. I ran to my professor to tell her there was no hot water, sometimes barley any water, cockroaches, and an AC machine barley ran. She said welcome to Jamaica. She wanted us to have the true feeling of JA life in this hotel. So then on I knew things were different. When visiting my husband I rented a room for 20 bucks a night by his house. With no hot water again and one little window for a breeze. When we were married then I was allowed to stay at his house. Lets just say the only time I lived in the lap of luxury was our wedding at the villa and our honeymoon at El Greco. Thanks to my folks. We are discussing going down in July and I am trying to save for El Greco and hubby keeps saying are u rich. Your going to rent that 20 dollar room. Ugh!!! I love roughing it but I would like a pool since he will be gone visiting friends. Talking about mother in law. She will probably stay with me the whole week why he is visiting his friends. I have friends there to visit too so I don't mind. My mother in law is very nice and we are bringing her one small item in July that will be birthday and Christmas. We really haven't been asked to bring gifts down at all.

I encourage letting family in JA know that living in foreign not easy and it is not a bed of roses. I ensure that I don't paint this rosey picture of

gold-lined" streets and rivers of milk and honey. We have to work hard to pay these bills and to live fairly comfortably. Of course, I have no problem bringing something every now and again, but I don't have money like that and I make sure they know that. Jax, count your blessings -- some people have to send barrel with all the things that are requested from them.

Yah, I used to ENCOURAGE.....now, I usually just cuss. They are probably sorry they taught me all those Jamaican cuss words now. I believe no matter how many times you tell them this stuff, they do not get it. Never will either.

We really haven't been asked to bring gifts down at all.

:lol: Just wait until you actually set a date to go down there. People will be coming out of the woodwork! We got calls all the way up til the last minute of people wanting this or that. Tony finally told them his suitcase was full and he couldn't bring anything else :wacko:

Amen, Rhonda.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Ok all...so we Finally went to go see my MIL...2wks ago..and BWOY she is something else. She is reminiscing about yrs ago from he was 10yrs old...I just said hello and kept it moving. She starts whispering, not saying it was about me but this is how rude she is. Then as we were leaving she is questioning him about us moving, and telling him "when i call u to come over just come" basicly no excuses. I over heard her telling him "oh mi soon caan see as much when u move" as if we are moving to washington. This lady drives me nuts. She he on his a** everywhere he turns. i hate to see her treat him like a child...Seriously I am gonna blow up, b4 I do do u guys have any suggestions on how I should bring this about to both of them..this has to be done wit all three of us. He says she will take things to heart and that's why he allows her to just do whatever. I told him, she knows exactly what she's doing..I CAN'T STAND IT..i told him that next time he can go by himself ..cause I can't deal :angry:

I don't know what the best way to handle this is...I know everytime I take issue with the way my fiance's mom babies him or treats him it's like WW 10!! :help::ranting::protest: A Jamaican man's relationship with his mother is a sensitive subject. I tread very lightly and it usually takes me days to figure out how to say things without it being such a problem.

Thank's girl...but why do I have to tread light and I am his freaking wife..as if that means nothing to her. Almost as if she expects him to do things w/o my knowledge..as if I'm just some freaking girl.i GUESS I'm just venting...He needs to get it 1st..if he allows her to continue, then she won't change.... :ranting:

I don't tread lightly. I say how I feel. My MIL may be playing games; but I do not. I will not lie or try to play him to get what I want. And, I do point it out when she is doing that.

What I have found works best for me is to tell him exactly what I am thinking when I make some comment. For instance, his mom calls and wants money for something. If we don't have it, I tell him flat out, we don't have it. If we have some earmarked for something else, I say "well, you can't get that (whatever) you were eyeing" or "well, we can't go to the movies" or "we won't be able to have that oil change now" or whatver. Whatever is the truth. I've even said I don't like that she now calls every 2 weeks or I don't like doing this cause now she will expect it and you know we can't always do this. We've caught her in lies to play us and I really go off then.

I've gone so far as to tell him if she called that night, after we had a disappointing day, that I would take his cell phone outside and mash it up. (He took the battery out of the phone one night that I said that! :whistle: )

Anyhow, my point is that I have found honesty is the best policy. If you don't tell him exactly what you are thinking, he can use that as an excuse against you later on. If you tell him, he can never claim he did not know.

Ok all...so we Finally went to go see my MIL...2wks ago..and BWOY she is something else. She is reminiscing about yrs ago from he was 10yrs old...I just said hello and kept it moving. She starts whispering, not saying it was about me but this is how rude she is. Then as we were leaving she is questioning him about us moving, and telling him "when i call u to come over just come" basicly no excuses. I over heard her telling him "oh mi soon caan see as much when u move" as if we are moving to washington. This lady drives me nuts. She he on his a** everywhere he turns. i hate to see her treat him like a child...Seriously I am gonna blow up, b4 I do do u guys have any suggestions on how I should bring this about to both of them..this has to be done wit all three of us. He says she will take things to heart and that's why he allows her to just do whatever. I told him, she knows exactly what she's doing..I CAN'T STAND IT..i told him that next time he can go by himself ..cause I can't deal :angry:

I don't know what the best way to handle this is...I know everytime I take issue with the way my fiance's mom babies him or treats him it's like WW 10!! :help::ranting::protest: A Jamaican man's relationship with his mother is a sensitive subject. I tread very lightly and it usually takes me days to figure out how to say things without it being such a problem.

I agree with Belly's Girl Try to limit your interaction with her for a while. If you explode your hubby will be put in the middle and I am willing to bet the MIL will act like the victim of the big bad daughter in law. We know he loves your dearly but it will be so hard for him if he has to chose sides.

Jenice

While that might work for some, it is not for me. People will play you if you let them.

I agree Kelly, I would do the same exact thing. Craig's mom is soooooooooooo darn sweet to me. She's very very nice and we like each other very much. It took about one full year (most recently) for Craig to FINALLY say to her, mom I just do NOT have the money to help you right now !!! I told him over and over and over again, you just HAVE to be honest and stop giving her the hope that money will be arriving when in reality it won't. The JA men and their mothers thing drives ME bananas !!! Craig's mother didn't raise him and she's only been back in his life for about 5 yrs and now "he" thinks "he" owes her ??? Don't get that one at all !!!

His mother had been calling every week at 10:00-10:30pm ....now that he's been honest, she calls every so often "just to see how he is doing" and to tell me and Austin, hello. He calls her on a calling card, but ....realizes it is expensive and it only depresses him hearing all that she doesn't have and *wants*. She's a hard worker, but spends spends spends !!! That apple does not fall far from the tree !

I've never been asked to bring anything, by anyone in the 10 yrs I've been going to Jamaica. I brought his mom ome a picture of Craig in a frame, one of my son and then the 3 of us and I put them in picture frames. She just sat and cried and thought that was wonderful. Just the little things. Whenever we get down there, I'll be bringing her more clothes....but....it's not going to be things that I've gone out to buy and I'm not "splurging" on the entire family. I'll bring items for the kids, what we have around the house that my son isn't using anymore.

Have a safe journey for all that are traveling ! I'm jealous :angry: oh wait, not jealous about the whole interview process...cause don't miss THOSE feelings at all !!

The saddest part of this is that Andre and I have no desire to go back to Jamaica at this point. The stress is more then the pleasure would be. I think we are going to Chicago and then maybe Mexico when we are travelling next.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We really haven't been asked to bring gifts down at all.

:lol: Just wait until you actually set a date to go down there. People will be coming out of the woodwork! We got calls all the way up til the last minute of people wanting this or that. Tony finally told them his suitcase was full and he couldn't bring anything else :wacko:

hehehe yup i been gettin calls all last week playstation controllers, purse, grown folk shoes! baby shoes toddler shoes mi suitcase full of mi own tings ok

That's Roight!!! Good for you Chica!!! I really hate that! I am not a cheap person, but don't take my sweetness for weakness either! :angry:

-Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
:ot: How sad is it what happened in Washington? It is so scary...someone who is suppose to protect and serve taking the lives of so many young people :(

Are you talking about what happened in Wisconsin? If so....yes, very horrible!!

The crazy thing is I thought she was talking about the sky divers that all perished in that plane crash this morning in WA. It wasn't til I was reading CNN.Com, that I saw that thing in WI. about the deputy that killed all those kids...INSANE!!!!

-Gill

Edited by Deyoungting

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Other Timeline

Mi know sey, mi aaa nuff a yu a nuh fren pon ya. But mek mi tell you someting. When you people a guh a Jamaica nuh buss yu head fi charter no airline fi carry sinting fi nobody. Most Jamaicans down there dont have any conscience. Everybody want dis and dat like sey yu a bill gates. From dem hear America dem start tink bout money and expensive clothes and boot. Let dem know seh farrin a no bed a rose, and life hard up here. Down there all when yu a 100 year old yu mumma still lef dinner fi yu and sleep and live free.

Vex if yu want, but mi know sey nuff a yu mother-in-law wouldn't luv yu if yu did live a Jamaica, dem only want if know seh dem pickney a get a buss and dem a benefit, when dem si unnu dem start show teeth an want hug up an boast pon dem neighbor bout dem daughter in law from America. Mi have sister to and mi nuh want si nobody tek her fi a ride. Some a you pon here a get used, as soon as as di man get di unconditional greencard, dawg naym some a unnu suppa, ole time gal or baby madda from Jamaica tek over. Save unnu strength fi dem days and nuh badda fi trace mi. Remember mi nuh seh all a unnu. It can be 1 out a every 5.

All who a seh who trace mi off nuh have no sense, mi try fi show respect, but mi jus love to talk the truth, so who dont like it...who cares, cause dis bway nuff fraid a no man, no gal, nowhere, no time.

Blessings.

Timeline
Mi know sey, mi aaa nuff a yu a nuh fren pon ya. But mek mi tell you someting. When you people a guh a Jamaica nuh buss yu head fi charter no airline fi carry sinting fi nobody. Most Jamaicans down there dont have any conscience. Everybody want dis and dat like sey yu a bill gates. From dem hear America dem start tink bout money and expensive clothes and boot. Let dem know seh farrin a no bed a rose, and life hard up here. Down there all when yu a 100 year old yu mumma still lef dinner fi yu and sleep and live free.

Vex if yu want, but mi know sey nuff a yu mother-in-law wouldn't luv yu if yu did live a Jamaica, dem only want if know seh dem pickney a get a buss and dem a benefit, when dem si unnu dem start show teeth an want hug up an boast pon dem neighbor bout dem daughter in law from America. Mi have sister to and mi nuh want si nobody tek her fi a ride. Some a you pon here a get used, as soon as as di man get di unconditional greencard, dawg naym some a unnu suppa, ole time gal or baby madda from Jamaica tek over. Save unnu strength fi dem days and nuh badda fi trace mi. Remember mi nuh seh all a unnu. It can be 1 out a every 5.

All who a seh who trace mi off nuh have no sense, mi try fi show respect, but mi jus love to talk the truth, so who dont like it...who cares, cause dis bway nuff fraid a no man, no gal, nowhere, no time.

Blessings.

Ole time sumting come back again? :lol: Nuf ting yuh seh is true and Shawn I respect yuh honesty. However, sometings people jus' haffi find out fi dem self? Yuh 'ere mi? Look 'ere Shawn yuh same one probably know how difficult dis yah whole process is...so why yuh waan fi go putti pon someboddi head dat dem man a use dem.

Shawn, yuh nuh know which one a use and which one is true...suh as much as I appreciate deh heads up yuh waan fi give people. Pon toppa dat Shawn, yuh nuh tink we all tink bout dem tings already, Mon? Just try fi keep dem negative comments to yuh self, cause is not heveryone really waan fi 'ere it!

Seen? But still yuh a come in likkle betta today?

Blessed- (L) -Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Blessings.

Nah lie, truth deh in dat yes...

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline

Blessings.

While I hate to admit it, I am in agreement with you everything you said up until the green card statement.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Blessings.

Ole time sumting come back again? :lol: Nuf ting yuh seh is true and Shawn I respect yuh honesty. However, sometings people jus' haffi find out fi dem self? Yuh 'ere mi? Look 'ere Shawn yuh same one probably know how difficult dis yah whole process is...so why yuh waan fi go putti pon someboddi head dat dem man a use dem.

Shawn, yuh nuh know which one a use and which one is true...suh as much as I appreciate deh heads up yuh waan fi give people. Pon toppa dat Shawn, yuh nuh tink we all tink bout dem tings already, Mon? Just try fi keep dem negative comments to yuh self, cause is not heveryone really waan fi 'ere it!

Blessed- (L) -Gill

And, here I go, Gill............I'm sorry.........but, I have to stick up for him on this one. I want to make it very clear that I do not agree with Shawn completely. But, his statements do ring true to an extent. And, he was pretty decent about it so far. Thus, I think he deserves to speak his mind.

Please keep it civil guys. Please Shawn.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Blessings.

While I hate to admit it, I am in agreement with you everything you said up until the green card statement.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with everything.....but not *all* people come a foreign for their GC. Yes it happens, but the woman/man has to have that in the very back of their head, especially for those that don't know their man/woman for a looooong period of time. Everything else, right on the money!!! Literally ...

Timeline

Blessings.

Blessed- (L) -Gill

And, here I go, Gill............I'm sorry.........but, I have to stick up for him on this one. I want to make it very clear that I do not agree with Shawn completely. But, his statements do ring true to an extent. And, he was pretty decent about it so far. Thus, I think he deserves to speak his mind.

No JG.,

I think you misinterpeted what I said. I totally agreed with Shawn about bringing things to JA. for everyone mother, sister,cousin, auntie...But I just tried to explain that the process is so difficult already that the greencard statement wasn't really necessary...because that is something that individuals will have to find out for themselves.

I also told Shawn that he came in a lot better than last week :yes: and where I, personally respect and appreciate his honesty...others here may not, so if he could jus' laowe the greencard argument he would be good tuh go!

It's ALL good :yes::D;)

(L) -Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline

Blessings.

Blessed- (L) -Gill

No JG.,

I think you misinterpeted what I said. I totally agreed with Shawn about bringing things to JA. for everyone mother, sister,cousin, auntie...But I just tried to explain that the process is so difficult already that the greencard statement wasn't really necessary...because that is something that individuals will have to find out for themselves.

I also told Shawn that he came in a lot better than last week :yes: and where I, personally respect and appreciate his honesty...others here may not, so if he could jus' laowe the greencard argument he would be good tuh go!

It's ALL good :yes::D;)

(L) -Gill

Now, see....when you speak that JAnglish, I have issues. Thanks for the clarification.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Timeline

Listen mi, mi not fighting against nobody, but people stop living in self denial. Mi know alot a people whey only in dis ting only fi ketch a farrin, some even buy married. Mi did have one cousin who guh down fi guh meet dis man whey she claim she fall in love with, but is a good ting ting him did chatty chatty, him tell one a him friend seh is only a buss imma a look. One try it wid one a mi auntie to. investigate di person throughly, right now mi have a girlfriend in dis same mess.....man get him card, mek trouble wid har and gone......she alone haffi a pay fi di house and bills now. If yu even have pickney together, dat nuh hold man or woman. When dem guh back a Jamaica dem start boast seh dem have pickney a farrin.

Sometime ask yu self, look how nuff woman deh bout and dem nuh ready fi seckle down, until dem find a farrin woman dem propose same day.

Some a di same madda in law collect di money from yu husband....sometime a nuh fi har, a fi pay di work man dem whey a build him house down dere and yu nuh know.(di same mumma in law whey did a boast pon yu, di same one whey did a gaawn like she would a dead fi yu) And if yu bad yu guh down dere guh mek trouble, yu would get lick to yu weak or gunshot.

All mi a seh check out yu man or yu woman THROUGHLY, we jamaicans can pretend fi years.

Ole people sey......Di man whey sh.T a road nuh memba it, but a di one whey step inna it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Blessings.

Wow !..u really di come a better this time. And i do agree with u on the whole bringing stuff down for people. And the whole use thing to greencard happens to some and it's sad that u really have to watch out for it especially if u didn't know him/her from Jamaica..And while u are to be honest..u don't have to come off so harsh...

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Listen mi, mi not fighting against nobody, but people stop living in self denial. Mi know alot a people whey only in dis ting only fi ketch a farrin, some even buy married. Mi did have one cousin who guh down fi guh meet dis man whey she claim she fall in love with, but is a good ting ting him did chatty chatty, him tell one a him friend seh is only a buss imma a look. One try it wid one a mi auntie to. investigate di person throughly, right now mi have a girlfriend in dis same mess.....man get him card, mek trouble wid har and gone......she alone haffi a pay fi di house and bills now. If yu even have pickney together, dat nuh hold man or woman. When dem guh back a Jamaica dem start boast seh dem have pickney a farrin.

Sometime ask yu self, look how nuff woman deh bout and dem nuh ready fi seckle down, until dem find a farrin woman dem propose same day.

Some a di same madda in law collect di money from yu husband....sometime a nuh fi har, a fi pay di work man dem whey a build him house down dere and yu nuh know.(di same mumma in law whey did a boast pon yu, di same one whey did a gaawn like she would a dead fi yu) And if yu bad yu guh down dere guh mek trouble, yu would get lick to yu weak or gunshot.

All mi a seh check out yu man or yu woman THROUGHLY, we jamaicans can pretend fi years.

Ole people sey......Di man whey sh.T a road nuh memba it, but a di one whey step inna it.

Agree !!

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.