Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

:ot:

Does anyone have to deal with a competitive environment at work? If so, how do you deal with it without being unethical? Just a question to through out there.

I think you are going to have to elaborate just a bit on this one, KK, for me to form an answer.

LOL. I guess I'll describe my situation. I'm working with a team where I'm new fairly too. Well, I had to listen for an hour about a former team member that wanted to be the "STAR." And how she would try to give her suggestions all the time. Well, I'm seeing it from another light. It doesn't seem like the old team member was the only fault. I've had conversations with the team on what should be done and was shut down. One team member call manager and manager says same thing I said. Then she just disregarded that I said anything. I'm very technical and can quote standards (Policies and Procedures) and not to say I know everything..but I have something to offer. If I don't know something, I'm going to research the heck out of it. So far several ocassions has past where I put my two cents in and got robbed. LOL. Now, I'm really in the mood to just speak my mind and not in a polite way. :angry:

How new are you to the team? To the company? Maybe you just have to wait out that period of time where you all get to know each other better and learn to appreciate what everyone has to offer.

I love when someone comes in, knowing important things already; but not running all over everyone. I always step back and see how they interact before I accept them fully. I've had so many new people come in and take over, only to crash and burn later, leaving me to pick up the pieces. Thus, the reason I am cautious. Could it be something like that?

Umm...I guess. But when she is quoting the wrong references...It gets kind of funny. I'm laughing inside right now. :lol::no:

One....Cause she is "teaching" the group ,using white board and all, on how to do some work. But she is referenceing the wrong references...and the fact that that reference has been superceded by new ones. She should know this.

Two....She calls the manager for everything. Where I came from you made decisions and presented it to the managers. It just make her look weak.

Third....I'm new but we are both "supervisors", why is she reviewing my work. Keep in mind One and Two above. I was told by the manager that he would review. I don't trust her review comments. She don't even know what the correct standard we are following.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ah, yes.....housing and cars. I forgot about that sticker shock. Monthly bills has been a challenge. Andre really wasn't much of a monthly bill payor. It has been difficult to get him to understand just cause we got a nice paycheck doesn't mean most of it isn't already spoken for.

Oh Lord, is it ever already spoken for. Just working to pay bills :huh:

Can I tell you it took me 1 hour a few weeks ago to explain to Ken (my fiance) what a credit report was, why it was important and how it affects your future!

All he said after my detailed HOUR LONG explanation was..."Mi nuh inna dat deh credit cyard business deh!! Mi aguh be deh one fi hold up deh line EVERYTIME!! Mi nuh business if deh people waan cus mi!"

I was like what the hell are you talking about?

Ken said...'Mi see dat Visa commercial pon TV where heveryone inna foreign use dem credit card fi buy foolishness and the person who a tek out cash stop deh line... mi nuh business...mi a use CASH only, mek dem tand deh!!!

I just laughed and said..."Alright Missa Young, you mus know!!!"

Do you see what I'm dealing wid...but mi love 'im still!! But Jah know...'im drive mi MAD sometimes!! :wacko:

Oh, just you wait then!!!!!

Living w/o a credit card isn't so bad. I have a couple and I only use them to purchase gas. I use cash for everything...maybe that;s why I never have any money...lol I was in some serious debt b/4 and I told myself no matter what I'm going back into that b/c it was a hot mess and very depressing.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Can I ask you guys something about the work visas? Does anyone know anything about them?

I don't know much but I do know that what you make all depends on "who" you are working for and what "deal" they made with you to bring you over. If it's a "Jamaican Government" (Ministry of Labor) sponsored Visa or a U.S. "Company" Visa <<They are still all considered H1B Visas>>

Some require you to "pay back" the cost of the Visa, transportation to the U.S., accomodations while living here and food (this could potentially leave you with very little). Others take care of everything or portions of it (and that affords you more $$$ in your pocket)

You should PM Doodle. I think she might be a valuable resource for you.

Thanks, Mindy. I'll do that in the near future.

My questions are just cause I am nosy. I can't for the life of me figure out how some guy in Jamaica, who is currently calling us for $$$$ so he can "come up on work visa" could even qualify. And, this other guy we know, called every single day for about 2 months saying he was hungry. I just can't comprehend being so unprepared. And, why it would be allowed. I mean, aren't there some kind of consequences if these people starve to death on their work programs?

This is to show you the Embassy ain't right. Dollas a run JA....nothing else!!!

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Does anyone have to deal with a competitive environment at work? If so, how do you deal with it without being unethical? Just a question to through out there.

I think you are going to have to elaborate just a bit on this one, KK, for me to form an answer.

LOL. I guess I'll describe my situation. I'm working with a team where I'm new fairly too. Well, I had to listen for an hour about a former team member that wanted to be the "STAR." And how she would try to give her suggestions all the time. Well, I'm seeing it from another light. It doesn't seem like the old team member was the only fault. I've had conversations with the team on what should be done and was shut down. One team member call manager and manager says same thing I said. Then she just disregarded that I said anything. I'm very technical and can quote standards (Policies and Procedures) and not to say I know everything..but I have something to offer. If I don't know something, I'm going to research the heck out of it. So far several ocassions has past where I put my two cents in and got robbed. LOL. Now, I'm really in the mood to just speak my mind and not in a polite way. :angry:

How new are you to the team? To the company? Maybe you just have to wait out that period of time where you all get to know each other better and learn to appreciate what everyone has to offer.

I love when someone comes in, knowing important things already; but not running all over everyone. I always step back and see how they interact before I accept them fully. I've had so many new people come in and take over, only to crash and burn later, leaving me to pick up the pieces. Thus, the reason I am cautious. Could it be something like that?

Umm...I guess. But when she is quoting the wrong references...It gets kind of funny. I'm laughing inside right now. :lol::no:

One....Cause she is "teaching" the group ,using white board and all, on how to do some work. But she is referenceing the wrong references...and the fact that that reference has been superceded by new ones. She should know this.

Two....She calls the manager for everything. Where I came from you made decisions and presented it to the managers. It just make her look weak.

Third....I'm new but we are both "supervisors", why is she reviewing my work. Keep in mind One and Two above. I was told by the manager that he would review. I don't trust her review comments. She don't even know what the correct standard we are following.

That's a little more touchy, KK. Even though I would feel like saying, hey you fool.........you have to be more tactful. You might have to just pull her aside and tell her you thought it was this instead of this or something like that.

Part of your scenario sounds to me like you will just have to wait out the newness. Part of it makes me wonder if she isn't an idiot. Just bide you time, girl. If she is a clown, your time will come to show her up in a very tactful, yet important way, where everyone will notice.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Guys;

Just spent two days catching up to all the good news and disappointment that have been posted. Just wanted to give my congrats to al you new expectant mothers and all with visa approvals. You guys are a great bunch and I really enjoy the comradrie that exists in this forum. I look forward to reading the banter that goes on here and will always try to keep up. My days are not complete without my VJ family.

One luv

Claire

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

That's a little more touchy, KK. Even though I would feel like saying, hey you fool.........you have to be more tactful. You might have to just pull her aside and tell her you thought it was this instead of this or something like that.

Part of your scenario sounds to me like you will just have to wait out the newness. Part of it makes me wonder if she isn't an idiot. Just bide you time, girl. If she is a clown, your time will come to show her up in a very tactful, yet important way, where everyone will notice.

:innocent: I invited her to a meeting with the client that I'm running. And, I will politely reference the right standards. :innocent:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Gil,

Agree with you on the 2nd language, my son's preschool taught swahli (sp) from age 2 but I would have preferred Spanish even Mandarin. My zone school had passing rates of 36% on the third grade tests and the so called gifted school had rates of 60% this number included the gifted program and regular program.and I was supposed to send my son there? I was also born in the u.k. and came over here when I was seven and was super board in 2nd grade because it was stuff I had seen already.

I went to c.w. post

I will argue for the gifted program a bit. As a child, I went through the gifted program and I had nothing but positive experiences becasue of that. Again, it depends on who administers said program.

My children attended a private Catholic School from Kindergarten till the year before last. Since our church is 85% Spanish speaking, Spanish is included in each grade.

On the most part I agree with you, I was in a gifted program from the fourth grade, but in Boston where I grew up overall the school system is/was much better than here in NYC. Here in NYC there are actually schools that cost $20,000 a year for kindergarten. But that is a whole nother can of worms

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:innocent: I invited her to a meeting with the client that I'm running. And, I will politely reference the right standards. :innocent:

just be careful about the reviewing your work, this should be a temporary thing I'm assuming because your new, don't let it become permanent...she probably feels threatned by you because your new. Try making her feel at ease,

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

just be careful about the reviewing your work, this should be a temporary thing I'm assuming because your new, don't let it become permanent...she probably feels threatned by you because your new. Try making her feel at ease,

Yeah..It's hard being the new kid on the block. She has a great relationship with the managers and they hang out every night. So I'm up against that. If they like her calling them every second for help...then this may not be the place for me. I like to develop as a person...I need to research and come up with what I think it should be then run it by the manager. Not in all cases...just when there are issues.

Timeline

If I just read all of this correctly and not knowing the field you're in....... could you go to your supervisor and say.... I just want to make sure that I have up-to-date information/standards or whatever term you would use .... and show him/her what you have been given. Then it would be up to your boss to make sure that everyone (ie that other goofball) has her correct info straight? Is your supervisor one to do something about issues ? or stand back and not take any heat ? Cause those types....argh !!

At my pt-time job my boss (he owns a financial planning business out of his home) just hired 2 new people in the last week. I've been there a little over 2 yrs and he's been through 3 people for that position. I am the one moving desks and having to be inconvenienced to say the least....but I tell him!!! The work that he hired for is VERY easy, but not busy work. The last chic (just quit)...24 yrs old, married to an "older man" (he's 38) and she's a step-mother to his autistic son (I've seen her with him....lets just say she needs ALOT of parenting classes --told me SHE doesn't want kids because that would take up all of HER free time!!!), and then she sucks her thumb !!!! She made a MILLION mistakes, but I made it known that since SHE was making the mistakes and it was reflecting my job and not getting done what "I" need to do to be productive. I'm only there a couple of hours a week, not doing my job AND her job!!!

So one of the employees (a woman) ....thinks SHE knows everything about anything !! I'm not sure how long she's going to last. When my boss called her references, warning flags by a couple of her last employers said, watch her attendance!!! Yesterday when I was there, she was complaining that she thought she was getting sick.....and she's only been there 4 days !!!!

Good luck ! It's a tough position to be in.

Timeline

I just read this part.... see that makes me angry. You bust your butt to go into what you think will be a nice position and then you have brown-nosing person who doesn't know SQUAT and noone sees that ????? Frustrating as all get out KK !!! I've been in your position before TONS of times!!!

The 1st travel agency I worked at...just because one of the other agents knew the owner/boss for a veeeery long time and he NEVER had the balls to fire her ....was extremely frustrating to say the least !!! I was there 5 yrs and this other agent lost 2 of our MAJOR accounts (that helped the business stay afloat), called in sick literally every other day. Made TONS and I mean TONS of costly mistakes and here I was ...low man on totem poll, making the least in the office and bringing in MORE business than anyone, working all godly hours, coming in on weekends. I found out that he was going to be going out of business before anyone else in the office did.........and I got out QUICK and went to the next travel agency working for the 3 owners (all caddy back stabbing women) and being low man ...again...although promised and moon and stars to come and work there --never saw any of that !!! They sought *me* out at a travel show to come and work for them.....worked there 3 yrs, found out that THEY were going to be selling/merging with another agency and my name was never mentioned, so I got out and started my own business cause I could not deal working for anyone like that ANYmore.

Keep on venting here...............it will make you feel ALOT better !!!

If I just read all of this correctly and not knowing the field you're in....... could you go to your supervisor and say.... I just want to make sure that I have up-to-date information/standards or whatever term you would use .... and show him/her what you have been given. Then it would be up to your boss to make sure that everyone (ie that other goofball) has her correct info straight? Is your supervisor one to do something about issues ? or stand back and not take any heat ? Cause those types....argh !!

At my pt-time job my boss (he owns a financial planning business out of his home) just hired 2 new people in the last week. I've been there a little over 2 yrs and he's been through 3 people for that position. I am the one moving desks and having to be inconvenienced to say the least....but I tell him!!! The work that he hired for is VERY easy, but not busy work. The last chic (just quit)...24 yrs old, married to an "older man" (he's 38) and she's a step-mother to his autistic son (I've seen her with him....lets just say she needs ALOT of parenting classes --told me SHE doesn't want kids because that would take up all of HER free time!!!), and then she sucks her thumb !!!! She made a MILLION mistakes, but I made it known that since SHE was making the mistakes and it was reflecting my job and not getting done what "I" need to do to be productive. I'm only there a couple of hours a week, not doing my job AND her job!!!

So one of the employees (a woman) ....thinks SHE knows everything about anything !! I'm not sure how long she's going to last. When my boss called her references, warning flags by a couple of her last employers said, watch her attendance!!! Yesterday when I was there, she was complaining that she thought she was getting sick.....and she's only been there 4 days !!!!

It's just hard not being heard.

Timeline

It's just hard not being heard.

I totally hear ya....that's the problem with the 2 travel agencies....older folk SET in their ways and their ways, especially in this fast paced industry was NEVER going to work !!!! That's why they are both out of business and here I am truckin along.

Some how, some way..... we gotta get you "heard" !!!! What type of job/position are you in?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:ot: Lord, why them tropical depression a try mi: TD# 8: http://weather.sun-sentinel.com/tropical/t...00708_5day.html

It's still pretty early on this one. No one is predicting any real path towards JA yet. Fingers crossed!

You know the anxiety of seeing something out there. From the 2 scenarios for the depression, JA seems to be in the clear, but those steering currents can push it on a different course. I am staying focused!

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody!

As JG told ya, all is well. Marlon arrived a little later on Friday then expected. We have just been watching alot of StarGate SG-1 (season 10) and we added him to the lease. Next week we trek to the SSA office. Yee-haw. Nothing much else, I had 4 days off to spend with him so it was nice. Oh yeah and tentative wedding date is October 13!!!!

Empress: I was very sorry to hear about the denial. Be strong girl and know that you are in my prayers. Do what is right for you! We are all here to support you! (L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.