Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good morning VJ Yardies!

Just an update with me and my SO - we're thinking about marrying in a private ceremony this Christmas in Jamaica. Then after I graduate and am working we file for the CR1 visa. Only thing I'm concerned about is the tax part because my current part-time job does not meet the income requirements and when I file I will have only been working a year full-time (and we don't have any family/friends willing to sponsor). I guess we'll just have to take a chance.

This is kind of a dumb question - After marrying in December, will I have to file my taxes as married? :unsure:

The first year after I was married and went to file my taxes, I was advised that since he doesn't live here and didn't have a SSN that I should continue to file as single.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Craig complained for months that America has TOO MANY rules and restrictions.

So ladies (and men) ....just the simple things with not being able to drink a beer and walk up and down the street. Craig used to sit up on along the roadside and he couldn't "understand" why everyone would watch him and give him weird looks. Wearing a seatbelt ALL the time in the car. Keeping ALL the lights and radio on while he wasn't here. I mean the list goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, Tony still complains of all the rules and regulations here in the U.S. And he got so ticked off the first time he figured out that he couldn't just walk out of a bar/club with his beer in his hand :wacko: (I never thought to warn him about this so he actually tried to do it and had like 3 bouncers chasing after him into the parking lot!) Then he was mad because it was embarassing. There are just so many issues that you will never even think of until they occur. Another funny one is that you can't just whip it out and go to the bathroom in public here :no: You WILL get a ticket for that. Explain this to your drunk Jamaican who is used to doing just that when the urge strikes!!

I gave up on the battle of leaving all the lights/tv/stereo on. I just turn them off myself. I've learned to choose my battles wisely. It's just not worth it.

Exactly, Rhonda. Pick your battles. It didn't take me long to figure that out.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Sarah -- I am very excited for you -- I remember how I felt the day Roy was arriving. Have a wonderful weekend and don't worry about the "dust bunnies!"

Rhonda and Mindy I think do 2 a u chat too much....2 hearts...mi caan type dat much ...:):lol::luv:

:lol: :lol: Well.....Rhonda has three years on you and I have two!! There is still time for you to catch up Kimmy!!!

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline
Craig complained for months that America has TOO MANY rules and restrictions.

So ladies (and men) ....just the simple things with not being able to drink a beer and walk up and down the street. Craig used to sit up on along the roadside and he couldn't "understand" why everyone would watch him and give him weird looks. Wearing a seatbelt ALL the time in the car. Keeping ALL the lights and radio on while he wasn't here. I mean the list goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, Tony still complains of all the rules and regulations here in the U.S. And he got so ticked off the first time he figured out that he couldn't just walk out of a bar/club with his beer in his hand :wacko: (I never thought to warn him about this so he actually tried to do it and had like 3 bouncers chasing after him into the parking lot!) Then he was mad because it was embarassing. There are just so many issues that you will never even think of until they occur. Another funny one is that you can't just whip it out and go to the bathroom in public here :no: You WILL get a ticket for that. Explain this to your drunk Jamaican who is used to doing just that when the urge strikes!!

I gave up on the battle of leaving all the lights/tv/stereo on. I just turn them off myself. I've learned to choose my battles wisely. It's just not worth it.

Exactly, Rhonda. Pick your battles. It didn't take me long to figure that out.

Yep definitely pick the battles is right.... but now I'll mess with him and say (when the bathroom light is on and he's in another room) ....Is anyone in here? or Is anyone using the bathroom? and he'll kiss his teeth and I just turn off the light or he'll get up and turn it off. It's gotten a likkle better, but, especially when he saw the electric bill and that in Maryland our rates were raised 70%!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hAHAHA...catch up to u and Rhonda no possible..mi affi go over time fi dat.. :yes:

Sarah -- I am very excited for you -- I remember how I felt the day Roy was arriving. Have a wonderful weekend and don't worry about the "dust bunnies!"

Rhonda and Mindy I think do 2 a u chat too much....2 hearts...mi caan type dat much ...:):lol::luv:

:lol: :lol: Well.....Rhonda has three years on you and I have two!! There is still time for you to catch up Kimmy!!!

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

Hubby just finished his medical at Andrews Memorial and it cost him about J$10,000. He just told me that he feels like a pin cushion :lol: . He got 2 shots - MMR and varicella; and he got the TB skin test. They told him to follow up with more vaccines when he gets to the US, which I presume may be the hepatitis shot. I'll get more details later.

I tried to warn him that he may feel a little ill this weekend and his response..."Nuh tell mi nuttin more" :lol::lol:

Happy that part is over. :luv:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good morning VJ Yardies!

Just an update with me and my SO - we're thinking about marrying in a private ceremony this Christmas in Jamaica. Then after I graduate and am working we file for the CR1 visa. Only thing I'm concerned about is the tax part because my current part-time job does not meet the income requirements and when I file I will have only been working a year full-time (and we don't have any family/friends willing to sponsor). I guess we'll just have to take a chance.

This is kind of a dumb question - After marrying in December, will I have to file my taxes as married? :unsure:

The first year after I was married and went to file my taxes, I was advised that since he doesn't live here and didn't have a SSN that I should continue to file as single.

Do you get back more when you file married or less?

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Timeline

I am not so sure. Once Aaron is here, I will change my status to married and I will see what happens at that time. Hopefully one of our VJ veterans can share their thoughts on this :unsure:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have been looking at the forms required for AOS. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is listed. Is this form part of the new I-485? USCIS shows the fee as $305. I am concerned that Donna's mom may need her there in Jamaica before any of this paper work goes through. Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Timeline

I think you will get a little more back, maybe not a huge amount b/c u claim for him. But, once he starts working that'll change :yes: ..I think :)

I have been looking at the forms required for AOS. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is listed. Is this form part of the new I-485? USCIS shows the fee as $305. I am concerned that Donna's mom may need her there in Jamaica before any of this paper work goes through. Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

You know Jay, I think she will have a problem re-entering the country if the adjustment process hasn't been completed at that point in time. Haven't really heard anyone traveling b/4 they adjust..

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
I think you will get a little more back, maybe not a huge amount b/c u claim for him. But, once he starts working that'll change :yes: ..I think :)

I was just thinking that. I sat here thinking, that refund check is going to be looking nice next year, especially since I was also in school and he will be on as a dependent this year :dance: . SWEET!!! :dance:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Timeline

I was just thinking that. I sat here thinking, that refund check is going to be looking nice next year, especially since I was also in school and he will be on as a dependent this year :dance: . SWEET!!! :dance:

Hahhahahaaaaa...u funny.. :yes: go have a child while ur at it :lol:

Timeline

From what I've read ....the AP is not a total guarantee that she would be able to re-enter. We didn't file for AP....but now you have no choice, everything is "all inclusive" on the K1.....included in the $1010.00

I know when a friend of mine came here 4 yrs ago, his son died about a month after he got here. He filed for an emergency AP (here was here on a K1)...and they gave him alot of ####### coming back in. He said he would prefer never to go through that ever again!

Timeline

I am not so sure. Once Aaron is here, I will change my status to married and I will see what happens at that time. Hopefully one of our VJ veterans can share their thoughts on this :unsure:

We got back a nice tax refund...but I also own my business? I just send paperwork to my accountant ....

Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

Unfortunately the K1 Visa is not a "travel" visa -- it's a 'one time entry' into the U.S. You could always try to get an "Emergency AP" but like Kelly said, I have heard some horror stories (here on VJ) about what happens when people try to re-enter.

Your best bet would be to get the actual AP or wait for the Green Card.

When are you planning to file the AOS 'bundle?' And have you checked to see how long the processing times are -- I know Kelly filed at the end of July and her check is not even cashed yet......

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.