Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Awww....my kids start school tomorrow too. My oldest will be a sophmore! UGH! My sophmore year! :whistle: Seems like yesterday. I know about the driving things too. My daughter has her temps and soon will be able to take off whenever. :crying:

My daughter will be a sophmore next Tuesday...she can't wait for to start school so they can pick on the freshman :blink:

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may sound like a silly question and probably doesn't matter much but for those of you who went to the interview, what did you wear?

I wore a casual dress and sandals. Tony wore nice pants and a polo shirt. We saw people there wearing everything from ripped up jeans to a full suit and tie! In my opinion, you can't go wrong by dressing up a bit - you don't want to look like a bum.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Has anyone watched the movie, I think I love my wife with Chris Rock ?

Yeah, I just watched it. It was interesting...... Not really that funny like I thought it was supposed to be - they call it a comedy. What did you think?

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

:ot: Tony got to feel the baby kick the other day :luv: You could actually see my belly moving so I took his hand and put it there and he could feel it! It was awesome. I've been feeling it for weeks now, but that's the first time he could.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What kinds of jobs have you all encourage your SO to go for once they come over on a K-1 or any visa for that matter? How long does it usually take for them to get a job when they first come over?

Tony actually started working very soon after he got here. He has done all sorts of manual labor - painting, landscaping, cement work, roofing, siding, etc.. He had never done any of it before but he's a fast learner and caught on quick. He also shoveled snow for my dad's company the last few winters.

I am looking for ideas on kinds of jobs for a woman that Donna would be able to work. She has mentioned getting back to work soon after she arrives. Donna is having a hard time just sitting at home waiting on AirPak to call, now that she has quite her job there in Kingston. I also worry about her working and getting paid "under the table". Is this income just not reported to the IRS? I'm doing the right thing by bringing someone to the US legally and then getting them a job illegally? Am I looking at this the wrong way?

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Timeline
Okay, So i'm meeting my SO's mother for the first time on Saturday down in JA. He's close to his mother but hasn't lived with her for quite some time so everytime I went down there we just never got around to meeting her in Trelawny. I think he doesn't jive with the new guy she has. Anyway, what should I get her? She wants us all to go to the beach and hang out but I really don't want to go down there and not give her anything. I can't travel all the way from ABROAD and not bring her anything. lol Thats what JA peeps always say.

Any Ideas?

I had a really great picture of Craig that I blew up and put in a nice picture frame along with a picture of me and Craig and then one of me, Craig and my son. She literally cried when I gave them to her. The pictures are along her bedside. She still thanks me for them.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
yup.....he got here in november....we filled in march....he got his ead in late may....just got his job 2 weeks ago....

3 words for you guys - under the table..... Just an idea.

we were going to have to go that way...but thankfully his new job came around 2 weeks ago....part time...but it is something

Timeline
Has anyone watched the movie, I think I love my wife with Chris Rock ?

Yeah, I just watched it. It was interesting...... Not really that funny like I thought it was supposed to be - they call it a comedy. What did you think?

I didn't think it was funny, just that it was a reality check for Mr.....

Timeline

I am looking for ideas on kinds of jobs for a woman that Donna would be able to work. She has mentioned getting back to work soon after she arrives. Donna is having a hard time just sitting at home waiting on AirPak to call, now that she has quite her job there in Kingston. I also worry about her working and getting paid "under the table". Is this income just not reported to the IRS? I'm doing the right thing by bringing someone to the US legally and then getting them a job illegally? Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Ideas are endless. After she gets here EAD, do you have temp agencies in your area? If you can "afford" having her not work until EAD....than I wouldn't worry about it. If she's used to working, it will drive her absolutely nuts not to work for up to a year (depending on how long the process will take). FYI Jay, loads of people work "under the table", meaning IRS (and immigration) will not know about it. You'll just have to check around and see if there are any groups, organizations and/or volunteer work she can do in the meantime??

Timeline
Awww....my kids start school tomorrow too. My oldest will be a sophmore! UGH! My sophmore year! :whistle: Seems like yesterday. I know about the driving things too. My daughter has her temps and soon will be able to take off whenever. :crying:

My daughter will be a sophmore next Tuesday...she can't wait for to start school so they can pick on the freshman :blink:

Well...here's the the 1st day of HS. I drove my son (and more friends, because their bus was late). Bus was supposed to be there at 6:45am. I went to school dropped off kids and came back and took some more and went back to school. Got home at 7:50am, bus was just showing up. UNbelievable !! but..................DAY to myself !!!!!! yeeeehaaaa :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:ot: Tony got to feel the baby kick the other day :luv: You could actually see my belly moving so I took his hand and put it there and he could feel it! It was awesome. I've been feeling it for weeks now, but that's the first time he could.

awww

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What is everyones thoughts on having your SO working before he gets the employment authorization....i mean doing some under the table straight cash kind of work? Do you think doing that would affect anything down the road....considering it is illegal (I think?????)?

We had an issue with this very type of thing. Andre worked for a friend of mine, for cash, doing painting, prep work, basic carpentry, etc. It was all fine and dandy until a pole came crashing down when they were tearing down a fence, and broke his nose. Then, the lies began because we could not make any claims against the "employer". It was very difficult to make up the lies so our health insurance would pay. They wanted to make a claim against an employer or someone's homeowner's insurance. Be careful with this kind of thing.

But, no, later on, it was as if he had no previous US job experience when he got his first job here. We couldn't and wouldn't put that on any job application as a reference.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In my case, we haven't started looking for work as yet b/c him and his daughter need bonding time. It's tough (for him) cause he can't sit home, like most men. But, we thought about him going back to school right away instead of working so we won't accumilate anymore bills b/4 he starts a steady job, just to get it out of the way. There is also the steam fitters union which is apprenticeship and then a journeyman after 5 yrs start out with about $15 but work up to $50/hr thinking about that option too. But I have all these ppl talking bout him start work yet, gimme him resume, thank you for ur help but u don't know our plans and I ain't knocking at ur door so mind ur business...geeeshhh. But when time comes and nuttin nah gwaan we ago just to wah can help us save some money

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The under the table work is really popular in Philly and I do have that in mind. I just hate when people know your situation and start to ill treat the workers by paying them the bare minimum. I have friends here who work in a JA restaurant and clothing stores and they are all options for when he first comes up. Its just my personality and integrity that gets in the way sometimes because I just don't believe in ill treating employees just because you know they can't make a certain amount of money where they are coming from and legally they aren't supposed to be working anyway. For example...some of my friends work 7 days a week from 7:30am until like 8pm and they don't get paid much. Thats just not cool to me. So just becareful

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:ot: I had to share this with you all. This is from this morning's Jamaica Observer: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/2...ICANE_DEAN_.asp Edited by JA Tam

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.