Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Timeline
What is everyones thoughts on having your SO working before he gets the employment authorization....i mean doing some under the table straight cash kind of work? Do you think doing that would affect anything down the road....considering it is illegal (I think?????)?

Please keep in mind that the Jamaican male pride will come into play big time. Depression, sense of helplessness, anger (cause he/she can't contribute) will ALL come into play until they feel they will be able to contribute to the household. If money is tight now, it will get even tighter when he/she gets here!!!!!!

:yes: depression was/is a big one with mike.....no matter how long we talked about it...still didn't prepare him enough for what it was going to be like...luckly my boss was doing work to the outside of his house and mike worked sometimes the whole week sometimes a couple of days but when it got cold and the job was over he got bored...and got himself into trouble....and slowly he is getting better...and i mean SLOWLY...everyday is a new day...

Yeeeeah.....getting "into trouble" I totally feel ya on that one!!! When they are bored..... !!!! but as I tell my son, you CHOSE to be bored !!!!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yea, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking GED classes for him as well but he has a high school diploma from JA and completed his trade there also. The only thing is, are those qualifications comparable to the requirements needed here? I would hate for him to have to do it all over again but then in a sense it might be better to do so. I told him last night to request his transcripts from his high school so that I may ask around before he gets here. All of his work and school experience is from JA. I know that my cousin came up from JA about 6-8 months ago and she is working as a supervisor at a nursing home. Get this, she came up on a K-1 and did not get married. Long story short: It was an arranged marriage and the guy decided he didn't want to go through with it after she came up. Everyone is trying to figure out he she still is here...lol. But the morale is that she is working receiving a pay check and all and I know for sure she did not go to school here. So, I am assuming that their education back home is good enough. Have you heard anything about this?

Many of us who received our high school diplomas in Jamaica were able to enter college immediately here. Check if your SO got any CXC subjects. That's a pretty big deal, especially if they are trying to get into any college courses...usually they like to see 5 subjects (1's and/or 2's). I would say the CXC subjects validates the high school education, I suppose. I totally agree with another comment that it depends on how well "they learned" in school. I don't know if its fair to say that there are certain schools in Jamaica that may have a better name recognition than others and may also be a source of validation of someone's education in Jamaica.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
Hello everyone.

Congrats to all the recent approvals!! Hope everyones family has recovered alright from the hurricane.

Well I guess it is my turn now to prepare for that embassy. I'll be leaving for JA Wednesday morning for our Thursday interview. From what I can tell from the embassy website, it looks as though the embassy will be open and our interview is going to happen as scheduled(considering the hurricane recovery). Has anyone heard otherwise? I'll probably call on Tuesday to be sure. This may sound like a silly question and probably doesn't matter much but for those of you who went to the interview, what did you wear?

Good luck on Thursday's interview :thumbs: I'm sure it will go great. From all that I have seen on the embassy website, all systems should be go for your interview on Thursday.

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yea, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking GED classes for him as well but he has a high school diploma from JA and completed his trade there also. The only thing is, are those qualifications comparable to the requirements needed here? I would hate for him to have to do it all over again but then in a sense it might be better to do so. I told him last night to request his transcripts from his high school so that I may ask around before he gets here. All of his work and school experience is from JA. I know that my cousin came up from JA about 6-8 months ago and she is working as a supervisor at a nursing home. Get this, she came up on a K-1 and did not get married. Long story short: It was an arranged marriage and the guy decided he didn't want to go through with it after she came up. Everyone is trying to figure out he she still is here...lol. But the morale is that she is working receiving a pay check and all and I know for sure she did not go to school here. So, I am assuming that their education back home is good enough. Have you heard anything about this?

Many of us who received our high school diplomas in Jamaica were able to enter college immediately here. Check if your SO got any CXC subjects. That's a pretty big deal, especially if they are trying to get into any college courses...usually they like to see 5 subjects (1's and/or 2's). I would say the CXC subjects validates the high school education, I suppose. I totally agree with another comment that it depends on how well "they learned" in school. I don't know if its fair to say that there are certain schools in Jamaica that may have a better name recognition than others and may also be a source of validation of someone's education in Jamaica.

My husband starts community college this Monday. I told him to bring a letter from his high school stating that he graduated. The vice principal wrote that he went to school from 19** to 19** and graduated. He got into college with that letter only and did not need a transcript. I recommend the letter and skipping the GED part. I don't think my husband even passed many levels. He took the placement entrance exams and did fine. :whistle:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What is everyones thoughts on having your SO working before he gets the employment authorization....i mean doing some under the table straight cash kind of work? Do you think doing that would affect anything down the road....considering it is illegal (I think?????)?

Please keep in mind that the Jamaican male pride will come into play big time. Depression, sense of helplessness, anger (cause he/she can't contribute) will ALL come into play until they feel they will be able to contribute to the household. If money is tight now, it will get even tighter when he/she gets here!!!!!!

:yes: depression was/is a big one with mike.....no matter how long we talked about it...still didn't prepare him enough for what it was going to be like...luckly my boss was doing work to the outside of his house and mike worked sometimes the whole week sometimes a couple of days but when it got cold and the job was over he got bored...and got himself into trouble....and slowly he is getting better...and i mean SLOWLY...everyday is a new day...

Yeeeeah.....getting "into trouble" I totally feel ya on that one!!! When they are bored..... !!!! but as I tell my son, you CHOSE to be bored !!!!

I guess it is different for everyone. This is not what happened in our situtation but my husband has many friends in the state line area. He got his drivers licenses right away and has freedom. He also found his past time of shooting pool and wants to be on the pool team at college. No trouble yet. I just might say though jobs are tough to find. No depression yet.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
My husband starts community college this Monday. I told him to bring a letter from his high school stating that he graduated. The vice principal wrote that he went to school from 19** to 19** and graduated. He got into college with that letter only and did not need a transcript. I recommend the letter and skipping the GED part. I don't think my husband even passed many levels. He took the placement entrance exams and did fine. :whistle:

Thanks BelwinMills. That's a good idea. I wanted him to get his HS transcripts for community college. The letter is a good idea and I will suggest it to him. If needed, we'll get the HS transcripts later. :thumbs:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm so glad today is Friday b/c I am soooo ready to come home. Any plans this weekend? I'm having a party on tomorrow. A cousin of mines booked a couple strippers!! Saying I need a little fun in my life w/o worrying myself over this immigration stuff :innocent:

Waving at everyone. ;)

Not doing much here working as usual. Did party till 2am last night. :hehe:

Here trying to worl wishing I could go home and sleep.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey everyone I need pointers on how to take as much stuff as I can with me to JA? I plan on paying extra for extra luggage, is this a good idea? Everyone needs everything and while I don't feel obligated to get everything, everyone is asking for something. :wacko: They all seem to be actual needs and I don't mnd, but I can't pay out the A$$ to get it in the country.

thanks Dee

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline

I guess it is different for everyone. This is not what happened in our situtation but my husband has many friends in the state line area. He got his drivers licenses right away and has freedom. He also found his past time of shooting pool and wants to be on the pool team at college. No trouble yet. I just might say though jobs are tough to find. No depression yet.

Absolutely different, but there are maaaaany of the men that have come here and have gotten into "trouble" on lots of different levels. Craig has loads of "freedom". He can get on a bus and literally go anywhere. We live in an area that has absolutely everything. A bowling alley (with pool tables) up the street.......with a bar. Like we've mentioned on here ions ago about drinking..............that there..............gets them into trouble. Not with the law, but other stuff. Making reeeeeeally bad choices all the way around!!!! In alot of the cases, it's a "learning" experience.

Depression for Craig is when his mother calls EVERY week beggin for money for this and that. He FINALLY told her yesterday, I DON'T HAVE IT !!! but, he was down on himself ALL flippin day !!!! He has a "family" here to help to support and when everything is taken care of here, and if there is any "extra" to go around, than he can help her out.....but until then. She works, always has....but blows her money and that apple doesn't fall very fall from the tree !!!

Craig now "gets" packing a lunch instead of buying out everyday...to save money, just the little stuff like that.

Has anyone watched the movie, I think I love my wife with Chris Rock ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah he laughs and calls me cheap when we talk on the phone and I tell him that I am eating left overs. I said OKAY wait until you get here. I'm not cooking every day and he will have to pack his lunch and all. I don't believe in spending money everyday for lunch. Lunch is anywhere from $8-12 a day............I don't think so!

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Timeline
Yeah he laughs and calls me cheap when we talk on the phone and I tell him that I am eating left overs. I said OKAY wait until you get here. I'm not cooking every day and he will have to pack his lunch and all. I don't believe in spending money everyday for lunch. Lunch is anywhere from $8-12 a day............I don't think so!

Craig used to call me cheap when he 1st got here, but now eats those words !! From the "I'm going to buy expensive shoes, shirts, etc etc etc".... now he's hooked on Walmart, Target and Old Navy !!! We also have this really cool store called Alko.

When we were growing up we'd ask....what's for dinner, mother replied "Fall out", which is whatever falls out of the frig (not literally) we are eating. So now I do the same thing when we have leftovers. Craig used to laugh....but....now loves having "fall out" for lunches for work !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that have kids starting school .....ours starts tomorrow at 7:25am. First day of high school for my son, he's nervous shoot, I don't know whose more nervous, but I think he's really excited. He had New student orientation on Friday, his freshman class is the largest with over 400 kids !! It's going to be soooooooooo darn overwhelming!!! None of his friends want to ride the bus, they all wanna drive with us ....ugh!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Awww....my kids start school tomorrow too. My oldest will be a sophmore! UGH! My sophmore year! :whistle: Seems like yesterday. I know about the driving things too. My daughter has her temps and soon will be able to take off whenever. :crying:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that have kids starting school .....ours starts tomorrow at 7:25am. First day of high school for my son, he's nervous shoot, I don't know whose more nervous, but I think he's really excited. He had New student orientation on Friday, his freshman class is the largest with over 400 kids !! It's going to be soooooooooo darn overwhelming!!! None of his friends want to ride the bus, they all wanna drive with us ....ugh!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Timeline

Yes! I'm not a big fan of the GED certification....I'm not knocking it but for someone who already has a high school diploma, I think it is better to just skip the GED cert. I can see if the person doesn't have any qualifications at all then I would advise it but its a step backwards if the high school diploma is already met.

AOS Package 2008

Sent RFE back 3/27

Biometrics 4/29

Received EAD card 5/10

Timeline

Okay, So i'm meeting my SO's mother for the first time on Saturday down in JA. He's close to his mother but hasn't lived with her for quite some time so everytime I went down there we just never got around to meeting her in Trelawny. I think he doesn't jive with the new guy she has. Anyway, what should I get her? She wants us all to go to the beach and hang out but I really don't want to go down there and not give her anything. I can't travel all the way from ABROAD and not bring her anything. lol Thats what JA peeps always say.

Any Ideas?

AOS Package 2008

Sent RFE back 3/27

Biometrics 4/29

Received EAD card 5/10

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Okay, So i'm meeting my SO's mother for the first time on Saturday down in JA. He's close to his mother but hasn't lived with her for quite some time so everytime I went down there we just never got around to meeting her in Trelawny. I think he doesn't jive with the new guy she has. Anyway, what should I get her? She wants us all to go to the beach and hang out but I really don't want to go down there and not give her anything. I can't travel all the way from ABROAD and not bring her anything. lol Thats what JA peeps always say.

Any Ideas?

i got my mil...a boxed perfum set....she said she really liked it and mike said she used it all....that is a idea...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.