Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanx guys. All of your answers helped a lot. It looks like we may be struggling for a little while. I'm sure that he will get some odd jobs here and there and I have a cousin who is the store manager for Home Depot so I am going to talk to her when he comes here. With my salary i'm sure we will be able to survive but I really don't know how he is going to deal with relying on me for everything. I'm not sure how this going to work out yet with the job and our living situation but I know that the lord will work something out for us.

Let me stop worrying so much because we didn't even go to the interview yet. Thats just the way I am :(:huh: .

Edited by 12/11/2006

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanx guys. All of your answers helped a lot. It looks like we may be struggling for a little while. I'm sure that he will get some odd jobs here and there and I have a cousin who is the store manager for Home Depot so I am going to talk to her when he comes here. With my salary i'm sure we will be able to survive but I really don't know how he is going to deal with relying on me for everything. I'm not sure how this going to work out yet with the job and our living situation but I know that the lord will work something out for us.

Let me stop worrying so much because we didn't even go to the interview yet. Thats just the way I am :(:huh: .

I think we all worry about this. I have been worrying about it for awhile and have tried to save some money to cover the extra expenses until he finds a job. It is in God's hands and it will work out fine :yes:

I have been trying to encourage my SO to let the suppliers for his current company know that he is moving here to see if there could be an opportunity for a job in our area. I am also encouraging him to look through school brochures so that he can register for classes in the Spring semester.

I will keep you in my prayers :thumbs:

Edited by JA Tam

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
KimmyKashi...........That's okay...no hard feelings :no::no:

I was just taking a look at the new immigration fees (I know I'm a little late) but man! I told him that we are going to need some time before he comes up. He might have to wait like 4 months or so. They are high!! That is a sure way to discourage people from filing or at least fake filing. Thats crazy.

What kinds of jobs have you all encourage your SO to go for once they come over on a K-1 or any visa for that matter? I have been looking in his field (certified plumber) here in Philadelphia but i'm not sure he will be able to jump right into that. He might have to go back to school for recertifications from here and all types of things. How long does it usually take for them to get a job when they first come over? Sorry if you are sick of answering these questions but i'm very very concerned!

Shonnie ask away I think we should talk more on this subject b/c some ppl don't seem to realize reality sets into place once their SO arrives. I also have been thinking about the same thing and I think it just depends on your SO and what kind of training his has. For me I have a friend who is a recruiter at a local temp agency and hire ppl for a local co doing packing for 3rd shift. It's not the greatest job but it's a paycheck nonetheless. Javon wouldn't have it any other way. I'm thinking of maybe that and attending classes to get his GED. He eventually would love to go back to school and get certified in either carpentry or something else.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline

I was just taking a look at the new immigration fees (I know I'm a little late) but man! I told him that we are going to need some time before he comes up. He might have to wait like 4 months or so. They are high!! That is a sure way to discourage people from filing or at least fake filing. Thats crazy.

What kinds of jobs have you all encourage your SO to go for once they come over on a K-1 or any visa for that matter? I have been looking in his field (certified plumber) here in Philadelphia but i'm not sure he will be able to jump right into that. He might have to go back to school for recertifications from here and all types of things. How long does it usually take for them to get a job when they first come over? Sorry if you are sick of answering these questions but i'm very very concerned!

Shonnie ask away I think we should talk more on this subject b/c some ppl don't seem to realize reality sets into place once their SO arrives. I also have been thinking about the same thing and I think it just depends on your SO and what kind of training his has. For me I have a friend who is a recruiter at a local temp agency and hire ppl for a local co doing packing for 3rd shift. It's not the greatest job but it's a paycheck nonetheless. Javon wouldn't have it any other way. I'm thinking of maybe that and attending classes to get his GED. He eventually would love to go back to school and get certified in either carpentry or something else.

Yea, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking GED classes for him as well but he has a high school diploma from JA and completed his trade there also. The only thing is, are those qualifications comparable to the requirements needed here? I would hate for him to have to do it all over again but then in a sense it might be better to do so. I told him last night to request his transcripts from his high school so that I may ask around before he gets here. All of his work and school experience is from JA. I know that my cousin came up from JA about 6-8 months ago and she is working as a supervisor at a nursing home. Get this, she came up on a K-1 and did not get married. Long story short: It was an arranged marriage and the guy decided he didn't want to go through with it after she came up. Everyone is trying to figure out he she still is here...lol. But the morale is that she is working receiving a pay check and all and I know for sure she did not go to school here. So, I am assuming that their education back home is good enough. Have you heard anything about this?

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Timeline

Hello everyone.

Congrats to all the recent approvals!! Hope everyones family has recovered alright from the hurricane.

Well I guess it is my turn now to prepare for that embassy. I'll be leaving for JA Wednesday morning for our Thursday interview. From what I can tell from the embassy website, it looks as though the embassy will be open and our interview is going to happen as scheduled(considering the hurricane recovery). Has anyone heard otherwise? I'll probably call on Tuesday to be sure. This may sound like a silly question and probably doesn't matter much but for those of you who went to the interview, what did you wear?

Timeline
Shonnie looking at ur time line i know u are getting happy i will be glad when i get that far in my jounery

I know!!! I am so happy. Time flies when you're having fun. I have been down to JA 4 times in the last year therefore, time was just flying by us. But I am really happy about all my decisions and just glad that we were put together.

It took me awhile to figure out how everyone had a time line because I was updating my time line and it wasn't displaying but then I discovered the updating of the signature and put 2+2 together. :wacko::wacko: duhhhhh

how i wish i could go down there that often with trying to move i will only be able to take 1 trip back soon

:crying:

I know. Its really expensive and now I am trying to buy a house so thats why I wasn't going to go to the interview but I just feel like I have to be there with him. I would plan the trips over holidays

i do understand about it being so expensive but i also plan on going for the interview

Very expensive. I'm trying to go for the interview, but my pockets are saying no way :blush: Hopefully, I can pull some strings b/c I really NEED to go!!

I'm so glad today is Friday b/c I am soooo ready to come home. Any plans this weekend? I'm having a party on tomorrow. A cousin of mines booked a couple strippers!! Saying I need a little fun in my life w/o worrying myself over this immigration stuff :innocent:

Its a girls day tomorrow so if the weather is ok we are headed to navy pier then hit a club downtown and back to work sunday :crying: have fun at the party

I never knew you were Chicago. Mavado is going to be here on 9/15 @ the Taste on 63rd & Lowe.

Nyseness - I was thinking of going to this show too. I've been to the Taste a few times and never had a problem except the last time I went these females got to scrappin real bad and then this dude licked this girl so bad...it wasn't cute at all. Mavado is the boss but his lyrics might have people bussin some shots in there for real...

Timeline

This subject has been on my mind too. My uncle owns several rental properties and he would be willing to put my SO to work doing painting, yard work, and some other simple things. The work would be sporadic and probably would only pay $10/hour but at least it is something...and something he can do right away when he gets here. My SO cannot read very good so I found a non-profit agency that helps people to read good and prepare them for the GED.....and the best part about it is that it is free! There really are a lot of resources in the community for education if you are willing to do some research. It is not the greatest arrangement, but at least it is a start. I also have a friend who has his own business installing and/or refinishing hardwood floors and he would be willing to employ him once he has an opening.....so that is a possibility too.

Timeline

What is everyones thoughts on having your SO working before he gets the employment authorization....i mean doing some under the table straight cash kind of work? Do you think doing that would affect anything down the road....considering it is illegal (I think?????)?

Filed: Timeline

Marlon is an optical technician by trade (filling eyeglass prescriptions). He has no formal schooling just on the job experience. We are thinking of seeing if we can get him into an apprenticeship of some type or him taking classes for it. I also mentioned to him how much construction workers make and he seemed interested in that prospect. I just started a new second job at 7-11 and I like it much better than Blockbuster plus it is close to home and pays more! They even said they would hire him once he gets his EAD! lol

Finesse: I wish you great success on your upcoming interview! Just dress respectable but no need to "dress up"! You will be fine and you know that your VJ Yardie family is rooting for you!!!! :dance::thumbs:

Here's hoping Marlon will have his visa this week! :blink:

What is everyones thoughts on having your SO working before he gets the employment authorization....i mean doing some under the table straight cash kind of work? Do you think doing that would affect anything down the road....considering it is illegal (I think?????)?

The thought has certainly crossed my mind but I think I am going to have to pass on it. I wouldn't want to jeopardize what we have especially after the long process we have been through!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It depends on the person i would say because i have a friend who has been here six years and he married in JA then came here. He had his school certificate from JA and he started workng with cable companies and installing alarm systems. He worked for cable and wireless in JA doing something similar. But, he now has his Bachelors degree and is now starting to work on his Masters this fall. But he was fine without going to school. It depends on what kind of student you were when there, were u able to learn what you needed while in school. Just like here some folks pass school but did not learn anything or may have had a learning disablity. He may be fine when he gets here as he already has his certificate thats a plus:) If you can read and write i think your fine.

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Timeline

Good morning.

Damien worked "under the table" for a Jamaican owned club...altough he already had his EAD. I wish he had that job while waiting for his EAD because the pay was good...it was only for a few months. They never asked him for ID or his SS# so I don't know what will happen down the road.

Timeline

Home Depot is a wonderful start :thumbs: My friends husband (also a K1 couple) starting making $11.25 and now making $17/hour.

It's extremely hard to them to rely on us for everything. Damien wouldn't accept money from me...drove me :wacko: His friends and family also gave him money before coming to the States. And they money he made in JA.

We started our bank account from the money friends and family gave us wedding gifts. The money was there for his usage. People knew our situation so they mainly gave money and gift cards so he can do his own shopping. Some of my friends gave Damien large gift baskets full of Jamaican products like Grace hot sauce, rice & peas, ackee, ginger wine, etc. It was extremely helpful.

We did lots of free or inexpensive things like going to zoo, museums, have lunch in the park etc....we also wore Blockbuster out. Find creative ways to keep busy.

Timeline

From the tons of research that I did on here, there's been noone that "got into trouble" if immigration found out they had been working, if they followed the rules on getting here legally. Craig worked "legally" for the 3 months after his painting job. He's been on many many job interviews and it's rare when they ask him for his EAD card. He's never ever been asked for any HS diploma.

Please keep in mind that the Jamaican male pride will come into play big time. Depression, sense of helplessness, anger (cause he/she can't contribute) will ALL come into play until they feel they will be able to contribute to the household. If money is tight now, it will get even tighter when he/she gets here!!!!!!

Craig was a lifeguard most of his working career in JA, so getting warehouse jobs (and he's had all kinds) and being able to do those tasks that Damien did and did well, makes them feel really good about themselves. His favorite job was building chalk boards for classrooms. The hours were okay, but then they lost their contract with the temp agency.

Craig isn't making much money now, but he loves what he's doing and it's a start.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello everyone.

Congrats to all the recent approvals!! Hope everyones family has recovered alright from the hurricane.

Well I guess it is my turn now to prepare for that embassy. I'll be leaving for JA Wednesday morning for our Thursday interview. From what I can tell from the embassy website, it looks as though the embassy will be open and our interview is going to happen as scheduled(considering the hurricane recovery). Has anyone heard otherwise? I'll probably call on Tuesday to be sure. This may sound like a silly question and probably doesn't matter much but for those of you who went to the interview, what did you wear?

i wore a black tank top and capri's and sandels.....i don't think it really matters what you wear as long as long as you are not wearing ganga shirts and chains....

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Please keep in mind that the Jamaican male pride will come into play big time. Depression, sense of helplessness, anger (cause he/she can't contribute) will ALL come into play until they feel they will be able to contribute to the household. If money is tight now, it will get even tighter when he/she gets here!!!!!!

:yes: depression was/is a big one with mike.....no matter how long we talked about it...still didn't prepare him enough for what it was going to be like...luckly my boss was doing work to the outside of his house and mike worked sometimes the whole week sometimes a couple of days but when it got cold and the job was over he got bored...and got himself into trouble....and slowly he is getting better...and i mean SLOWLY...everyday is a new day...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.