Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I chose to travel back to pick him up and bring him home with me. It worked out so well. I made sure he had everything he might need to leave with. The night before, we had a huge party with all the guys he worked with and a his friends....It was me and like 35 guys. It was crazy. We go to say all our goodbye's. I helped guide him through the every increasingly difficult check-in process including checking baggage, security, immigration, filling out forms on the plane, changing planes in Miami, (had I not been there and asked, Immigration there would not have taken his brown envelope, nor interviewed him---IDIOTS!!!!), and navigating the St. Louis airport.

He did just fine at the interview by himself.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Jay Donna,

What bank to do you use? $25 dollars is kinda steep for a letter. I have Wachovia and I had to get a letter when I brought my house and it was no charge. Hopefully they won't charge for this letter.

I use Wachovia, also. The guy there had me fill out a form that was made for visa applicants. After I filled it out he took it and told me the letter would come to me in the mail. He did not take any money from me while I was in there. Maybe the money will come out of my checking account?

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Jay Donna,

What bank to do you use? $25 dollars is kinda steep for a letter. I have Wachovia and I had to get a letter when I brought my house and it was no charge. Hopefully they won't charge for this letter.

I use Wachovia, also. The guy there had me fill out a form that was made for visa applicants. After I filled it out he took it and told me the letter would come to me in the mail. He did not take any money from me while I was in there. Maybe the money will come out of my checking account?

Oh boy. Did they say how long this is suppose to take "in the mail"?

Being at that interview was the only thing that ever mattered to me. Because I knew I wanted to be there we went 11 months without seeing each other prior to the interview.....it was that important to the both of us. What happened at that interview was going to determine the path our lives were going to take.

That being said, I knew I couldn't fly back with him because I was just there for the interview. I too got all the Immigration & Customs forms from the flight attendants and filled them out for him and told him to copy EXACTLY what I wrote. He had a direct flight to Chicago so there were no other flights that I had to worry about him catching. Of course the DORK forgot the forms that I gave him so the people sitting with him helped him fill everything out :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Being at that interview was the only thing that ever mattered to me. Because I knew I wanted to be there we went 11 months without seeing each other prior to the interview.....it was that important to the both of us. What happened at that interview was going to determine the path our lives were going to take.

That being said, I knew I couldn't fly back with him because I was just there for the interview. I too got all the Immigration & Customs forms from the flight attendants and filled them out for him and told him to copy EXACTLY what I wrote. He had a direct flight to Chicago so there were no other flights that I had to worry about him catching. Of course the DORK forgot the forms that I gave him so the people sitting with him helped him fill everything out :wacko:

This is such a good idea.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i agree with every word you're saying. the interview is a major life-changing event for the both of us and i wanna be there.

anyone looking into plane tickets should consider using a charter company. i always use apple vacations or worry-free vacations and i've never paid more than $400. the ticket i just bought was only $241. i asked my travel agent if it was possible to buy a one-way charter flight and she said yes. i've even over-heard other people on the flights i've taken say that they bought their ticket a week prior to departure and only paid $150! charters aren't available at every airport though. i use st. louis and it's a 3 hour drive, but i save about $300 doing it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i agree with every word you're saying. the interview is a major life-changing event for the both of us and i wanna be there.

anyone looking into plane tickets should consider using a charter company. i always use apple vacations or worry-free vacations and i've never paid more than $400. the ticket i just bought was only $241. i asked my travel agent if it was possible to buy a one-way charter flight and she said yes. i've even over-heard other people on the flights i've taken say that they bought their ticket a week prior to departure and only paid $150! charters aren't available at every airport though. i use st. louis and it's a 3 hour drive, but i save about $300 doing it.

I also travel charter when I go. I travel from Chicago and the prices are always low.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
wow lots of great information given today!

jax, you've had some wonderful contributions and you'll be missed. congrats on the arrival of hubby's green card.

sarah times sound really hard for you right now. hang in there sweetie!

my mom went through the fiancee visa process over 30 years ago (philippines) and she's been absolutely brutal towards me lately. it's gotten to the point now where i try not to mention it or the conversation will turn sour. i know she means well, but it's stressing me out. i've never backtalked to my mother, and i wouldn't dare do it now even though i'm grown, but i've come really close to it a few times, lol. it really hurts to not have any support from my parents. i can't even bring the subject up with my dad and my mom has nothing positive to say either. i'm thankful that friends and other family members are happy for me.

how did you guys print off your text messages? i have verizon and i've tried to print them off but had no luck. then my phone broke and i had to get it replaced and lost all the text messages that i got from him. it really made me sad.

creating an email addy and "sending" emails to eachother is a great idea! i don't have any written evidence of support from him. he hates writing. if all our phone records are sufficient (i have a year's worth of them) to show that we maintain contact on a regular basis then i'd much rather just go with that.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going though a rough time with parents. I am going through the same thing with my family. They don't even know about the k-1 yet and I don't know what is going to happen when they find out. But at this point I am just like whatever. It is something that I feel really strong about and I am going to go ahead through with it. Like I said in a previous thread, its ashame that people prejudge but it is really nothing we can do about it. I say, don't feel sensitive about it. I know they are your parents and they want the best for you but they aren't sure that this isn't the best for you. Maybe she made a mistake but you don't necessarly have to make the same mistake. My grandmother went through the k-1 situation as a proposition in her previous years and of course the marriage didn't work out. I keep trying to explain to her that just because yours didn't work out doesn't mean that mines won't and besides, yours was a proposition mines isn't. So i say all of that to just say hang in there and there are many others going through the same thing that you are going through on here but some don't feel the need to express it. You'll be fine.

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice and encouragement!

I could just about strangle Marlon right now, I got a text this morning full of excitement at my coming and how I can't back out now! :blink: Are all Jamaican men like that? One minute cautious and suspicious and the next carefree and excited? :help: lol So needless to say I am teeter-tottering on going or not. My roommate gave me a good pep talk and offered to help me financially to be able to go...

*sigh*

Timeline

I could just about strangle Marlon right now, I got a text this morning full of excitement at my coming and how I can't back out now! :blink: Are all Jamaican men like that? One minute cautious and suspicious and the next carefree and excited? :help: lol So needless to say I am teeter-tottering on going or not. My roommate gave me a good pep talk and offered to help me financially to be able to go...

*sigh*

Giiiirrrrl, just WAIT till he gets here......this cautious and suspicious etc etc is nothing compared to every emotion and adjustment when he gets here !!!!

Timeline

When I book my clients (I too am a travel agent), to certain destinations charter flights are 80% of the time less expensive (if available) because they do not have the same airfare structure as all *major* airline carriers. They only operate in and out of certain airports to certain destinations and only a couple of destinations within the US.

Airfare changes daily and each and every market is completely different. When using a *major* airline, like Air Jamaica, American, Delta, etc etc....there are up to 150 differernt types of airfare in each market (meaning from one destination to another).

I would hope your travel agent would advise you as to whether a one way was more (or less) expensive than a roundtrip ticket. Just depends on the market and availability. I've done airfare for several VJ members and most were roundtrip airfares because they were less expensive at the time.

"Cheapest" airfare is on a 1st come 1st serve basis and when the least expensive airfare sells out it goes up to the next airfare, etc etc.

Hope that helps...

Timeline

I finally go our AOS package in the mail today :dance::dance: Let the waiting begin :whistle:

Edited by Sonshyne

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Timeline

When I book my clients (I too am a travel agent), to certain destinations charter flights are 80% of the time less expensive (if available) because they do not have the same airfare structure as all *major* airline carriers. They only operate in and out of certain airports to certain destinations and only a couple of destinations within the US.

Airfare changes daily and each and every market is completely different. When using a *major* airline, like Air Jamaica, American, Delta, etc etc....there are up to 150 differernt types of airfare in each market (meaning from one destination to another).

I would hope your travel agent would advise you as to whether a one way was more (or less) expensive than a roundtrip ticket. Just depends on the market and availability. I've done airfare for several VJ members and most were roundtrip airfares because they were less expensive at the time.

"Cheapest" airfare is on a 1st come 1st serve basis and when the least expensive airfare sells out it goes up to the next airfare, etc etc.

Hope that helps...

I really don't think there are any charter flights from the Pacific NW to Jamaica...?? That would be nice...I can't find a ticket under $550. Right now the December RT tickets from here are a likkle over $900! Any help would be much appreciated.

Visa Journey

Service Center :

Consulate : Jamaica

03-13-2009 : Married

10-16-2009: I-130 Sent to Chicago

10-18-2009: I-130 Delivered

10-23-2009: Cashed check

10-23-2009: NOA1

10-27-2009: Touched

02-08-2010: NOA2!! APPROVED!! email/text received

02-13-2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC JOURNEY

02-12-2010: NVC Case # assigned

02-15-2010: email address given to NVC operator

02-22-2010: AOS/DS3032 email received by NVC

02-22-2010: AOS $70 bill paid

02-22-2010: DS3032 Hardcopy Fedx

02-23-2010: DS3032 received signed for by K.STLAURENT

03-04-2010: DS3032 accepted and system updated

03-04-2010: paid IV bill

took a long time to send in ppwk due to husband's birth certificate delay :(

got birth certificate FINALLY!!!

didn't keep good records...sent in the ppwk and got a RFE for copy of passport

06-24-2010: NVC received the form I forgot to send ...oops

08-02-2010: still waiting on a case complete.....ughhhhh

08-10-2010: 2nd RFE for an updated police record-although the one we have was dated 4 months ago......ughhhhhhh

09-01-2010: NVC received checklist letter with a new police report..

09-23-2010: case complete FINALLY

11-12-2010: Interview-blue slip, need of a co-sponsor & petitioner at interview

12-07-2010: Petitioner interview w/co-sponsor paperwork

Filed: Timeline
I finally go our AOS package in the mail today :dance::dance: Let the waiting begin :whistle:

YAY! :dance: Congrats, moving right along there! :thumbs:

*sigh*

Giiiirrrrl, just WAIT till he gets here......this cautious and suspicious etc etc is nothing compared to every emotion and adjustment when he gets here !!!!

I can only IMAGINE! lol :dance::dance:

Timeline

YAY! :dance: Congrats, moving right along there! :thumbs:

Thanks Sarah :thumbs:

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.