Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hey guess what e-mail i got today...

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On May 22, 2007, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days

for your card to be mailed to you.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

CONGRATS !!! :dance:

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

CONGRATS !!! :dance:

Ditto!!

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
ABOUT ITIN

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

What is an ITIN used for?

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Who needs an ITIN?

IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.

Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN

Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien

Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

How do I know if I need an ITIN?

If you do not have an SSN and are not eligible to obtain an SSN, but you have a requirement to furnish a federal tax identification number or file a federal income tax return, you must apply for an ITIN. By law, an alien individual cannot have both an ITIN and an SSN.

IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA205c," "applied for," "NRA," blanks, etc.

Are ITINs valid for identification?

No. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system. Since ITINs are strictly for tax processing, IRS does not apply the same standards as agencies that provide genuine identity certification.

ITIN applicants are not required to apply in person, and IRS does not further validate the authenticity of identity documents. ITINs do not prove identity outside the tax system, and should not be offered or accepted as identification for non-tax purposes.

Are ITINs valid for work purposes?

No. ITINs are for federal income tax purposes only.

REVISED APPLICATION STANDARDS FOR ITINS

What are the revised application standards for ITINs?

Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number ; and

Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

Applicants who meet an exception to the requirement to file a tax return (see the instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception.

Why is IRS revising the ITIN application process?

The revisions to the ITIN application process will help ensure ITINs are used for their intended tax administration purposes.

What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?

IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original, or a certified or notarized copy, of an UNEXPIRED passport is the only document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents that contain expiration dates - we accept docs issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. The documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

IRS will accept certified or notarized copies of a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)

U.S. driver's license

Civil birth certificate

Foreign driver's license

U.S. state identification card

Foreign voter's registration card

U.S. military identification card

Foreign military identification card

Visa (MUST BE NOTARIZED BY A USA OFFICAL) if in the USA need the orginal!!!!

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification

Medical records (dependents - under 14 years old - only)

School records (dependents and/or students - under 25 years old - only)

HELP AND INFORMATION

How do I apply for an ITIN?

Use the January 2007 revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original or certified proof of identity documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. TACs in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on a walk-in or appointment basis. Applicants outside the United States should contact an overseas IRS office to find out if that office accepts Form W-7 applications. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers by mail.

When should I apply for an ITIN?

You should complete Form W-7 as soon as you are ready to file your federal income tax return, since you need to attach the return to your application.

If you meet one of the exceptions and do not need to file a return, submit Form W-7, along with the documents required to meet your purpose for needing an ITIN, as soon as possible after you determine that you are covered by that exception.

You can apply for an ITIN any time during the year; however, if the tax return you attach to Form W-7 is filed after the return's due date, you may owe interest and/or penalties. You should file your current year return by the April 15 deadline to avoid this.

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?

If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number, usually within four to six weeks. The IRS has changed from an ITIN card to an authorization letter to avoid any possible similarities with a Social Security Number card. Current ITIN holders' cards will not be replaced; they should continue to use the numbers previously issued when they need to supply identifying numbers for tax purposes.

If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, you may call the IRS to find out the status of your application.

Where can I get help with my ITIN application?

You may call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 for information and help in completing your Form W-7 and your tax return, or to check on the status of your application six weeks after submitting Form W-7.

Assistance is also available by appointment at IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in the United States to provide in-person help with ITIN applications on a walk-in or appointment basis. Applicants outside the United States may contact an overseas IRS office to find out if that office accepts Form W-7 applications.

You may also use the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent.

What is an Acceptance Agent?

An Acceptance Agent is an individual, business or organization (college, financial institution, accounting firm, etc.) authorized by IRS to assist individuals in obtaining ITINs. Certifying Acceptance Agents review applicants' documentation, complete a certificate of accuracy, and forward the certificate and application to the IRS for processing. Some Acceptance Agents may charge a fee.

THANKS BELWIN...VERY HELPFUL

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
Ok, how do I do a search..just when I thought everything was calm :angry: I filed Head of household

For IRS purposes you are ok w/filing HOH. I was told I could either file that or married filing jointly. I chose to do the MFJ b/c it had a bigger refund & of course another proof of relationship.. :blush:

I tried doing a search for you but wasn't very successful. I'm still learning that option.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
Ok, how do I do a search..just when I thought everything was calm :angry: I filed Head of household

For IRS purposes you are ok w/filing HOH. I was told I could either file that or married filing jointly. I chose to do the MFJ b/c it had a bigger refund & of course another proof of relationship.. :blush:

I tried doing a search for you but wasn't very successful. I'm still learning that option.

Oh ok,,thank God :dance: thanks Nyseness..I was trying to search as well but I was doing it by going back into the pages :blink: I hope there is a easier way

Thanks Eric for the help but I think we will be okay. He got the price down to 200 dollars for 2 days. That is a lot better.

Jax - did you try getting prices from Hertz or Thrifty? I've rented from both of them before. I know they're cheaper than $100 a day :yes:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

I'm at work right now :angry: I'm on 2nd shift for the 2nd week now - it's supposed to be temporary then back to midnights. I never get to see Tony on this stupid shift :crying:

What's everybody doing this Memorial Day weekend? I have 3 days off finally :dance:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline
I'm at work right now :angry: I'm on 2nd shift for the 2nd week now - it's supposed to be temporary then back to midnights. I never get to see Tony on this stupid shift :crying:

What's everybody doing this Memorial Day weekend? I have 3 days off finally :dance:

Hey Rhonda, does your hubby work the same hrs when ur on 2nd shift ? I have a 3 yr old b-day party and totally looking forward to the long weekend...and its only Tuesday :innocent:

Timeline

Hopefully I'll be moving that weekend. I have boxes piled up and no energy to pack :blush: Oh, I hate moving!!

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm doing the same thing, I've been doing for two weeks straight...working :( Why do I torture myself :( One more week, then i'm taking a week off. :yes:

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline
Thanks Eric for the help but I think we will be okay. He got the price down to 200 dollars for 2 days. That is a lot better.

Jax - did you try getting prices from Hertz or Thrifty? I've rented from both of them before. I know they're cheaper than $100 a day :yes:

That is including gas too. His mom lives in the country so its a little drive. I forgot to mention that whoops.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

Oh ok,,thank God :dance: thanks Nyseness..I was trying to search as well but I was doing it by going back into the pages :blink: I hope there is a easier way

Oh wow Anna I didn't know that. My tax guy said it was a must. Darn I could of got my refund already but I guess it will be bigger then.

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

Congrats :thumbs:

xTr6m6.png

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

Oh wow Anna I didn't know that. My tax guy said it was a must. Darn I could of got my refund already but I guess it will be bigger then.

I filed single for 3 years, eventually got the ITIN, but the tax forms included in the Affidavit of support were that of filing single. Late last year I refiled for those years after receiving the ITIN. Got a BIG refund. With interest.....

Edited by eric_drewry

01/21/2003 Married

I-130 filed August 2003

K-3 filed August 2003

K-3 Approved Dec 2003

01/07/2004 Interview I Denied at embassy (Marijuana detected blood test) Barred 3 years

Move to Jamaica March 2004

I-130 approved (November 2004)

Return to US to try again October 2005

04/07/2006 Interview II The Sequal Told case would be on hold until Jan 8th 2007

02/20/2007 Interview III Told another Physical requred

02/27/2007 3rd physical

03/23/2007 Police report expires

04/03/2007 Interview IV rescheduled due to police report being late

04/19/2007 Interview V They did not put her on the list

US Senators office had to call for them to see her

Finally approved

04/28/1007 Arrive Miami Held up in Immigration misses flight to Indy

Fly to Dallas, then Indy arrive 11pm instead of 3pm

05/10/2007 SS Card arrived

05/12/2007 Welcome to the US letter arrives

05/14/2007 10yr Green Card Arrives

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.