Autumnchik

random question about weddings in Canada

30 posts in this topic

Okay, to be specific .... the gift opening. We are having our formal wedding ceremony in 2 1/2 weeks. My husband asked me when we were going to do the gift opening, and I said, "Uh, when we are at home after all this is over". I also spoke to his mom who asked about a gift opening. My hubby says that, at weddings he has gone to, it is announced that the bride and groom will be opening gifts at such-and-such place at such-and-such time.

I have never heard of this. Just wondering, is this a Canadian thing?

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

All the weddings I have attended at home (Canada), the gifts usually were opened at the reception, usually after any meal that had been served. I have also been at a few where the presents were opened at another time, not everyone knew about it, but there usually were a bunch of us around to watch. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
All the weddings I have attended at home (Canada), the gifts usually were opened at the reception, usually after any meal that had been served. I have also been at a few where the presents were opened at another time, not everyone knew about it, but there usually were a bunch of us around to watch. :)

I guess we all have different experiences. I have been to probably half a dozen typical weddings in the past 2 years (in Ontario) and none of them involved the opening of gifts AT the reception. One of them did involve the opening of gifts the day after with members of the bridal party who were able to attend ...

Timeline

I guess we all have different experiences. I have been to probably half a dozen typical weddings in the past 2 years (in Ontario) and none of them involved the opening of gifts AT the reception. One of them did involve the opening of gifts the day after with members of the bridal party who were able to attend ...

Oh yeah, everyone does it differently. Just seems like all, or almost all the weddings I went to had the obligatory present-opening at the reception. It could be a regional thing? Personally, I don't like it, so Jerry and I waited until the day after our wedding to open ours at home.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

many announce it for the next day!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

My experience has always been to attend the gift opening the day after the wedding. Usually punch and snacks are offered. (Sometimes left overs from the reception!). Usually the time is mentioned during the reception. I've never heard of it done during or after the reception though. Gift opening though is usually one of those "traditional" things brides and grooms do in Canada.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been to tons of US weddings and I've never seen gifts open... There's too much drinking, dancing and partyin goin on to worry about that! I can guarantee that my wedding will not have a time to open presents. I will probably do that after the honeymoon. I might open the cash/check envelopes that night tho :P

The only time where you typically see presents opened (in the US) is in bridal showers which takes place a month or two before the wedding date.

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

most of the weddings I have been to have a gift opening party usually the next day or sometimes a week or two later.... or sometimes they open them up after the reception.....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My understanding is that most times it's out of town family and immediate family meet for a brunch or some such meal the following day and open presents then. Never heard of it being announced at the reception, just kinda a closed thing. I guess I always figured it was the last chance for close family to see the couple before they took off for the honeymoon. I never felt offended not being invited to one, nor did I choose to do it this way at either of my weddings. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Thanks guys! After both my hubby and his mom mentioned it, I figured it must be a Canadian thing ..... my mom and I were very puzzled and had never seen that at a US wedding. Oh you crazy Canadians!!! :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

Yeah all the weddings I've been to in Canada and the US, they have always opened them the next day after everyones hungover...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

That is so funny, because this was brought up at my wedding kinda the same way. Myself and mother were asking when the presents were going to be opened at the next day so that we could plan something. . . of course the wedding was in the USA, so my in-laws and husband were looking very strangly at us. . . after finding out that you don't do this here. I guess it is Canadian. It usually is announced at the reception and follows the day after with refreshments.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

But, I don't find the wedding rehearsal dinner to be quite as extravagant as it is here in the USA. In Canada, we don't make that big of deal for a rehearsal dinner - or in my experiences anyways. But, maybe that is why the gift opening is more of a big deal.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah...pretty much any wedding I have been to has the gift opening the next day!!! (yup, I'm Canadian) Honestly, I think its an excuse to get together the next day to start drinking again .... you know "hair of the dog". Oh and all the older relates like to oohh and aahh over all the gifts.

Its just a fun way to get together the next day (after having no sleep) to celebrate with your family and close friends. Of course a drink or two is required as well as eating too much!!

Have fun!

V

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.