pbgirl

Social Security Card for K3

34 posts in this topic

Hello,

I asked my lawyer a few weeks ago about how I get my SSN once I get my K3 visa. He told me to get the EAD through form I-765 with the local immigration office. He told me to book an appointment on-line using INFOPASS and if you go in person, they will issue your EAD the same day. I have to go to Jacksonville once I have my K3. Then, after you get your EAD, you apply for a SSN which takes 2-3 weeks.

I don't know why people are waiting 3 weeks for their EAD!!! That is crazy....just go apply in person.

Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) (first time & renewals)

Please read the directions on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, carefully to determine if you file your application at the local office or at the Service Center. For applications that are filed in the local office, you may apply in person or by mail to:

Jacksonville Sub Office

4121 Southpoint Boulevard

Jacksonville, FL 32216

Appointments for card issuance are set within 80 to 85 days of application.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/jac...lle/aboutus.htm

Is your lawyer wrong or is the Jacksonville office wrong?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

I asked my lawyer a few weeks ago about how I get my SSN once I get my K3 visa. He told me to get the EAD through form I-765 with the local immigration office. He told me to book an appointment on-line using INFOPASS and if you go in person, they will issue your EAD the same day. I have to go to Jacksonville once I have my K3. Then, after you get your EAD, you apply for a SSN which takes 2-3 weeks.

I don't know why people are waiting 3 weeks for their EAD!!! That is crazy....just go apply in person.

Good Luck trying that. If Jacksonville is a bit of a trip for you, may as well save time and money on this one and just file the proper way to begin with - which is what you'll be doing following this approach anyway.

I-765's for eligibility category a9 (that's the EAD category that corresponds with the K3 status and offers a 2-year EAD) are to be filed with the National Benefits Center in Lee's Summit, MO (mailed to their Chicago lockbox). There is absolutely no filing for that EAD at the local office with same day issuance unless you have filed the I-765 properly and have not received your EAD within 90 days of that initial filing. Then you may make an Infopass appointment at your local DO and request an interim EAD on a same day basis.

Where to File:

Where to file varies by which category of eligibility applies to your case and where you reside. 8 CFR 274a.12(a) and ( c ) detail these eligibilities. You will also find most categories listed on the instructions to the form.

274a.12(a)

Category

(9) LIFE K3/4

Filing location

Box 7218

Chicago, IL

60680-7218

USCIS - Form I-765

I do believe that you may be eligible to e-file this form as a K3. Not 100% sure but that may be an alternative. Not that it goes any faster but it may be an available alternative way of filing. The local office is not. :no:

Your lawyer is either completely off track on this one or you only heard what you wanted to hear. ;)

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well darn, my lawyer got my hopes up. I did ask him again about getting the EAD in 1 day and he said yes. However, it takes 80-85 days to get an appointment at the Jacksonville office.

Sorry about the confusion, I thought it was going to be easier than it is.

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Well darn, my lawyer got my hopes up. I did ask him again about getting the EAD in 1 day and he said yes. However, it takes 80-85 days to get an appointment at the Jacksonville office.

Sorry about the confusion, I thought it was going to be easier than it is.

As a K3, you will need to file the I-765 with the National Benefits Center. See my post above. Don't sit there and wait for an appointment at the local District Office. They won't do a thing for you unless you applied at the National Benefits Center and haven't received your EAD for 90 days following receipt of your application.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, thanks for your help! I will definately apply through the mail for my EAD which should be Chicago dropbox since I will live in Florida. My lawyer messed up once again :( That is 2 times now!

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Ok, thanks for your help! I will definately apply through the mail for my EAD which should be Chicago dropbox since I will live in Florida. My lawyer messed up once again :( That is 2 times now!

Is this an AILA attorney? If so, maybe it's time to drop AILA a note. If not, it maybe time to drop the attorney. ;)

www.aila.org

pbgirl,

You seem to have some mis-understandings:

- a K3 does not have to apply for AOS (they can if they want to), and

- a K3 does not necessarily have an approved I-130 - the reason behind the K3 visa is to allow a foreign spouse to enter the USA while waiting for an I-130 to be approved.

Yodrak

Just curious, why is it different for a K1 to get the SS# but not K3? They are both non-immmigrant categories, and they both have to apply for AOS. At least with the K3, there is also a I130 approved.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
How long does it take for SSA to verify this status via the SAVE program?

Verify what status?

Hello ET-US2004,

One of the members wrote in his/her post that SSA verifies the status of employability via the SAVE program (whatever the f.ck that is) and it, according to this member, takes some time. Even though you show them your EAD apparently that is not enough for SSA to assign you a number. That is another moronic practice. EAD is issued by the same government not by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.

I wonder how long does this moronic 'verification' take?

Thank you.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Verify what status?

Hello ET-US2004,

One of the members wrote in his/her post that SSA verifies the status of employability via the SAVE program (whatever the f.ck that is) and it, according to this member, takes some time. Even though you show them your EAD apparently that is not enough for SSA to assign you a number. That is another moronic practice. EAD is issued by the same government not by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.

SSA didn't issue the document, so they have no idea if it came from immigration or you bought it at the mall, so it and/or your status needs to be verified. Either through SAVE or by sending a G-845 to immigration for manual verification. The G-845 method can sometimes take a while.

This is what the f**k is SAVE.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203730

RM 00203.730 Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification by SAVE

This is what the f**k is G-845 verification.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Verify what status?

Hello ET-US2004,

SSA didn't issue the document, so they have no idea if it came from immigration or you bought it at the mall, so it and/or your status needs to be verified. Either through SAVE or by sending a G-845 to immigration for manual verification. The G-845 method can sometimes take a while.

Thank you for your detailed reply. Still..it does not make sense. It iss till moronic. If a government can not trust documents issued by itself....if a certain part of bureaucracy is unaware of the doings of another part of this f.cking bureaucracy..it means there is a problem..a disease that needs to be treated.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Not all district offices will do EAD apps same day. Most you have to mail the app and just wait.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Verify what status?

Hello ET-US2004,

Thank you for your detailed reply. Still..it does not make sense. It iss till moronic. If a government can not trust documents issued by itself....if a certain part of bureaucracy is unaware of the doings of another part of this f.cking bureaucracy..it means there is a problem..a disease that needs to be treated.

I have a feeling you're going to be quite unhappy when you get to the US.

I think if you examined the bureauracy of your own country, you'd find it's much the same.

Adjusting your attitude, on the other hand, can make everything else relative. You're not going to change The System, so learn to work within it.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I guess they need to make SSA part of DHS like they did with FEMA. That should fix everything. LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.