thkcmp

Need to learn english and arabic

145 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Welcome to MENA!

:pop:

ain't that the truth. pass the popcorn doodle (F)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Thanks, Capt! I will try to be sensitive. I rarely enter discussions about mixed race, cultural, religion, language, and nationality couples because I don't have any of those barriers, having married a man who shares most of those with me. And I was reluctant to enter this one when I read it the first time because I share the same concerns that have been expressed here about the language barrier, but the OP shrugged it off.

MBP posted a thread on a serious subject that should be discussed here. It raises a red flag here when it comes to our attention that a couple has a big language barrier because there is so much to discuss about other differences that often go unspoken until they become a problem. I can only say that the issue has been raised here because it should be raised here, not only for the interview, but beyond in the marriage. I'm sure that the women here are only interested in the good of fellow travelers when they express their concerns about your road ahead.

Filed: Other Timeline
In the hopes of not offending anyone, please let's stay positive.

Stay positive about what, exactly? There's really nothing positive about something that is a major red flag, no common language, and then couple that with a huge age difference (just guessing), and you have a bigger red flag, if that's even possible. The OP asked if it's a problem, and it's a problem. The rest of us have normal curiosity about how the freak anyone could agree to marry someone and sponsor them when they aren't even past charades yet.

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Peezey,

if you read my post again I am agreeing with everyone's concern. However, there's no harm in being sensitive in how we use our words. You're right though she did ask :innocent:

edited: to make the topic a bit lighter, Google has a new beta translation tool. I posted it a few months ago. Still in beta so it does NOT work correctly everytime but its fun to use :)

Edited by lion_lioness

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think shes new, she ask a decent question about language because it is something they want to overcome. She wasnt asking for someone unfimilar with her life if they "got it". There are many maybes but not up to us to judge .....hopefully she got some answers and can find some help with the language teachings. Good luck :thumbs:

No one is judging her. She posted a topic in a public forum where others can respond and share their opinions and topics. She can choose to ignore something she doesn't like. We're all big kids here and seeing as this is an internet forum I think we should know that we're not always going to like what others have to say.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Answer the questions given, dont try to out guess someone elses situation and if someone cant say something politely then dont say anything, and im (as is most) far past being any kind of kid. Sorry Green this time i have to agree to disagree a few on here are not just interested in the good of their fellow traveler it becomes more intresting to validate how "they" just dont understand someone elses business. How many that have filed dont have some issues to overcome?? Again Connie, glad your here and i hope you got some good suggestions about the tools to learn for both you and him. :thumbs:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I know we have some time but I'm very concerned about the interview. Tarek feels he will be more comfortable doing the interview in arabic but I know we would have to prove that we are able to communicate with each other. Right now I don't feel confident that we can do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you've been in the same situation.

On the contrary, I think a lot of people are concerned about the good of not only Connie, but this man. If people are questioning the validity of this relationship on the basis that there is no common language, I can only imagine what the consulate will think (considering Casa has a HUGE history of sending back petitions on situations that are much less questionable than this).

My suggestion for Connie is to NOT file the K-1 until she and her fiance can truly document that they can communicate in a common language. (This was one of the first questions asked of my husband at his K-1 interview and of other fiances during their interview. Actually, this was the subject of much discussion at my husband's interview because they could not believe how well he spoke English and were questioning him how and where he learned.)

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I just found and joined VJ a couple of weeks ago. I am in the process of gathering all the information and filling out the forms to petition for a k-1 visa for my fiance, Tarek, in Morocco. We have a problem I'm hoping someone here might be able to help us with.

I went to Morocco to meet Tarek in person in February. He knows a little english and i know a little arabic. Between the combination and some charades we did much better than I thought but there were still times that we needed someone to translate for us.

I have purchased several audios and software that teaches arabic but haven't been able to find the moroccan dialect so a lot of what i'm learning from this software turns out to be incorrect. Does anyone know of something out there that teaches the correct dialect?

Also, I've searched for something to help Tarek to learn more english but he doesn't read very much english alphabet so he would need something that is also in arabic writing. Can anyone help me there?

I know we have some time but I'm very concerned about the interview. Tarek feels he will be more comfortable doing the interview in arabic but I know we would have to prove that we are able to communicate with each other. Right now I don't feel confident that we can do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you've been in the same situation.

Thanks everyone. This website has already been a great help!!

Connie

ahlan.pngMarhaban Connie!

Welcome to Vj...MENA board!

All I can say is may Allah ease your troubles with the visa and get your man here faster. ameen.gif Sorry I have not been in your situation. Both me and my man speak a common language (actually several)...

Rosetta stone is a good place to start... going to your local masjid or area where native speakers are... and of course having your SO teach you. ( Better yet go there ... learn it there) Worked for me! There are also several women here with Marocain SOs maybe you could hook up with one for some language and culture exchange.

And if I may add my 2cents in here, as Twila suggested I think you need to know your SO more. Too many relationship donnot work out for this exact reason. Waiting little longer will not hurt anything. Having a real relationship where you both live together is really the only way to know each other, and most do not have this luxury, buuuuuuuut there are ways around ... :thumbs: Vj Mena women here for you! We are not shy. We tell it like it is... as we see it ! Believe me I have seen it all!

Also it does not matter what language HE interviews in...but the point would be can you prove you two communicate and able to understand each other. Sure denial if you two cannot even communicate.

Bishfaa a'alik Ishraat! ie lebessa wa tahora incha'Allah !!!-amin and Bonne chance with the visa journey! love0063.gif

Edited by Henia

Filed: Timeline

Connie,

I have a nice simple book to get you started and you can both use it together . . . because it has flashcards with english on one side and arabic on the other. It is called "Your first 100 words in Arabic". When I had the book with me in Egypt, the in-laws liked to help me out and would pronounce the words for me . . . and it helps them to learn English at the same time.

You can buy this book at Amazon if you can't find it in a local book store . . . at it is around $10!! Your First100 Words in Arabic

Timeline

Hey thanks i just ordered this myself although Ahmed has good english this will help me with the rest of the family, the whole order with shipping was only 7 :thumbs:

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

Filed: Timeline
Hey thanks i just ordered this myself although Ahmed has good english this will help me with the rest of the family, the whole order with shipping was only 7 :thumbs:

Oh, good, I am glad that I was able to help someone, LOL!!

Yep, my Ahmed speaks good english too! And so does his brother . . . so much so, that the last time I was visiting with his family, his brother kept talking and talking and talking . . . . and his mother and sister were just sitting there waiting for him to STOP talking so they could say something . . . they don't speak English, which makes it a bit awkward for us . . . but my efforts to learn Arabic are not progressing as fast as I would like. I had a private tutor here in Dallas and was making great progress, but then he took a job teaching English in Korean a year ago . . . I am so bad about keeping up with it by myself :blush: .

Timeline

Well Ahmed has very good English and his brothers are learning slowly, his brother in law understands some but wont talk it with you but he can sure be listening ha. Ahmed is working with his little neice also and she can talk some sentences to me on the phone so maybe she can come up learning, then his parents do not understand so i had a mixture of both when there. Maybe if i see this book does good i can get another and send to them. Again thanks.

TIMELINE

-------------

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.