thkcmp

Need to learn english and arabic

145 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just found and joined VJ a couple of weeks ago. I am in the process of gathering all the information and filling out the forms to petition for a k-1 visa for my fiance, Tarek, in Morocco. We have a problem I'm hoping someone here might be able to help us with.

I went to Morocco to meet Tarek in person in February. He knows a little english and i know a little arabic. Between the combination and some charades we did much better than I thought but there were still times that we needed someone to translate for us.

I have purchased several audios and software that teaches arabic but haven't been able to find the moroccan dialect so a lot of what i'm learning from this software turns out to be incorrect. Does anyone know of something out there that teaches the correct dialect?

Also, I've searched for something to help Tarek to learn more english but he doesn't read very much english alphabet so he would need something that is also in arabic writing. Can anyone help me there?

I know we have some time but I'm very concerned about the interview. Tarek feels he will be more comfortable doing the interview in arabic but I know we would have to prove that we are able to communicate with each other. Right now I don't feel confident that we can do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you've been in the same situation.

Thanks everyone. This website has already been a great help!!

Connie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First of all, welcome to VJ!

You got me laughing, girl! I don't know how you got around the communication problem. My husband speaks english and I don't speak arabic, and we still have lots of mis-communications cause of cultural differences and diffeent upbringings!

If you search google, they give you an university somewhere that has a software, or try friendsofmorocco.org or .net - haven't been there a while. They have a link for moroccan arabic, I've been thinking of getting it myself, but haven't gotten to that just yet. I think, it's about $30.

Good luck, Connie.

Tanya

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Connie,

Welcome to VJ!

I've been using this text with mp3 files to learn Darija (moroccan arabic) and its really very good. http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Georgetown-...5115&sr=8-1

Lonely Planet also has a Morocaan Arabic phrase book for travelers but its small and limited in phrases.

Do you access to a literacy council in your area or a community college that teaches ESL classes? You can find good books through them. Even if you do not want to send the books by mail or wait ntil your next visit, you can photocopy some scan them and send via e-mail. There is one Engish Pictionary that my husband finds very useful. http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Picture-Dicti...9105726-3691962

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

There's a great group on yahoo Learning Moroccan Arabic

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learn-moroccan-arabic/

There you can download for free the Peace Corps manual (I think it's great). The group owner has put in a lot of effort and there are MP3 files. There's also a separate group for people using the book MBP referenced above, with MP3 files.

I am a big fan of the Moroccan Arabic phrasebook (Lonely Planet). If you're used to learning languages it has a lot of the linguistic rules and you can actually get pretty far with it. You'd have to have someone help you with pronunciation though.

Another option is Rosetta Stone. It's a computer program. It's not Moroccan arabic but they will understand you since TV has so many shows in Egyptian and standard arabic. It will help you a LOT with pronunciation and basic vocabulary (not the best for spontaneous conversation, though).

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Another option is Rosetta Stone. It's a computer program. It's not Moroccan arabic but they will understand you since TV has so many shows in Egyptian and standard arabic. It will help you a LOT with pronunciation and basic vocabulary (not the best for spontaneous conversation, though).

I love the Rosetta Stone series and I think it would be much easier than this Gerogetown text and audio files. It makes a lot fo sense of learning standard arabic and adjusting words as needed since Darija shares so much with standard Arabic.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Other Timeline

How did you decide you could marry someone that you still have to do charades with?

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline
How did you decide you could marry someone that you still have to do charades with?

The answer to that is easy "love" and love doesn't have to have a spoken language. Besides...have you ever tried charades with someone that doesn't understand your language? With a good imagination......can be and is a whole lot of fun.

If you'll re-read my post.....I'm asking for help from people from Morocco that want to learn more English and from people that speak English that want to learn more Arabic. We both speak each language.....just need and want to speak more sooner than later.

Uh huh. Love doesn't have a spoken language with pets, but with a fiance? The answer to your question is yes, you will have a hard time at the consulate.

Read the thread on mixed marriages. How is it you will have these conversations that are quite difficult with a shared language let alone via playing Pictionary?

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Maybe we can try to keep this thread to information about learning english and arabic.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline
First of all, welcome to VJ!

You got me laughing, girl! I don't know how you got around the communication problem. My husband speaks english and I don't speak arabic, and we still have lots of mis-communications cause of cultural differences and diffeent upbringings!

If you search google, they give you an university somewhere that has a software, or try friendsofmorocco.org or .net - haven't been there a while. They have a link for moroccan arabic, I've been thinking of getting it myself, but haven't gotten to that just yet. I think, it's about $30.

Good luck, Connie.

Tanya

You should have heard us laughing when I was in Morocco. Had a really great time.

Thanks for the info....I had never heard of friendsofmorocco....I'll check that out.

Connie

Maybe we can try to keep this thread to information about learning english and arabic.

Maybe if that's all this thread was about, but it's not.

Timeline
Connie,

Welcome to VJ!

I've been using this text with mp3 files to learn Darija (moroccan arabic) and its really very good. http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Georgetown-...5115&sr=8-1

Lonely Planet also has a Morocaan Arabic phrase book for travelers but its small and limited in phrases.

Do you access to a literacy council in your area or a community college that teaches ESL classes? You can find good books through them. Even if you do not want to send the books by mail or wait ntil your next visit, you can photocopy some scan them and send via e-mail. There is one Engish Pictionary that my husband finds very useful. http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Picture-Dicti...9105726-3691962

I have seen the text with mp3 files you are referring to but wasn't sure how helpful it would be. Helps to know someone that has or is using someone. I' check back into it.

Thanks a lot.

Connie

Timeline
There's a great group on yahoo Learning Moroccan Arabic

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learn-moroccan-arabic/

There you can download for free the Peace Corps manual (I think it's great). The group owner has put in a lot of effort and there are MP3 files. There's also a separate group for people using the book MBP referenced above, with MP3 files.

I am a big fan of the Moroccan Arabic phrasebook (Lonely Planet). If you're used to learning languages it has a lot of the linguistic rules and you can actually get pretty far with it. You'd have to have someone help you with pronunciation though.

I have an arabic dictionary but found that it is difficult to know exactly how to pronounce some of the phrases and words. Someone that speack arabic would definitely be of great help. Once Tarek gets here, I'm sure we can help each other out a lot more than we do now. PC to PC just isn't enough.

Thanks for your help.

Connie

Timeline

I love the Rosetta Stone series and I think it would be much easier than this Gerogetown text and audio files. It makes a lot fo sense of learning standard arabic and adjusting words as needed since Darija shares so much with standard Arabic.

I had once thought about the Rosetta Stone series but opted instead for the Magnum Language Systems Easy Immerision Arabic Software. I love the way it works with english text and audio and it's supposed to be standard modern Arabic but there are a lot of words that Tarek tells me are not correct but some are so it has been useful.

Thanks alot for your reply.

Connie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.