Dr_LHA

Boots cosmetics

89 posts in this topic

Hey, I work for Best Buy :P

Whilst I will admit there's a lot of stuff that they seem to be out of all the time and their buyers probably don't have a clue what their doing, its a pretty cool place to work for. I work in the Geek Squad(yes, I am actually a Geek too!)

Ok, sorry for hijacking the topic :lol:

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because in my local drugstore I can buy shampoo, a hammer, a birthday card, a magazine, a beach towel, beer, nail polish and pick up a prescription all in one trip in a store with only 5 aisles. THe one near where I grew up used to sell fine jewelry (not costume jewelry, diamonds with 5 carats) and had a fountain where you could get milkshakes. You don't really get this kind of place in the UK.

I see. If I want to do that kind of shopping in the USA, I'll got to Target, not a Drug Store though. I think if I moved back to the UK I'd definitely miss Target.

Because in my local drugstore I can buy shampoo, a hammer, a birthday card, a magazine, a beach towel, beer, nail polish and pick up a prescription all in one trip in a store with only 5 aisles. THe one near where I grew up used to sell fine jewelry (not costume jewelry, diamonds with 5 carats) and had a fountain where you could get milkshakes. You don't really get this kind of place in the UK.

I see. If I want to do that kind of shopping in the USA, I'll got to Target, not a Drug Store though. I think if I moved back to the UK I'd definitely miss Target.

I missed Target a bit in the UK but it didn't really arrive near where I lived until a few years before I left for the UK and then didn't get good until the late 90s. I always went on trips home though. I did have a really bad customer service experience last year and have been trying to avoid it since (not entirely successful)

90day.jpg

I guess I'm the only person coming from the UK who isn't going to miss Boots!

I'm another one who doesn't miss it one bit. I guess if there is one elusive product there that you can't possibly live without is one thing, but on the other hand, we have access to some of the best products on the net, and at a fraction of the price compared to the UK.

I'm a bit of a product junkie, and related to a rather popular beauty editor (well, she is popular in the beauty editing world). She has given me access to a plethora of products from all over the world that I would never pay the price for. Most of them are worthless and she will agree, but it still puts lil ole Boots very much in the shade when it comes to value and quality.

I'm quite surprised by BBW. I avoided it for a while thinking it must be full of ####### but visited one of their super sales they have twice a year. Some of their stuff is amazing, and at stupid cheap prices. I'm also a big fan of mineral make up companies. Really nice stuff without all the crappy chemicals. If only they could use that approach on the food here.

The only thing I miss is decent spray deodorant. I hate those sticks and gels. I stock up on every visit so I never run out.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know what you mean, I saw an Australian heel cream on a television advert last night with the Australian accent at all. It got my attention of course. :whistle:

Married............................................................03/10/07

Filed AOS for me and daughter...........................05/18/07

Checks cashed... ..............................................05/25/07

Received NOA1 on... .........................................06/01/07

Biometrics appointment scheduled for..................06/18/07

Touched for EAD on ...........................................06/11/07

Attended Biometrics on... ....................................06/18/07

Touched for EAD, and I-485 on ............................06/19/07

Touched for EAD and AOS on...............................06/20/07

Case transfered to California Service Center on ....06/26/07

Touched for AOS on.............................................07/09/07

Touched for AOS on.............................................07/10/07

EAD Card production ordered...............................08/01/07

EAD Approval notice sent.....................................08/07/07

EAD Card arrived in the mail.................................08/13/07

Touched for AOS.................................................09/11/2007

Contacted local Congressman...............................02/21/2008

Touched..............................................................03/06/2008

Touched..............................................................03/07/2008

Received my permanent resident card...................march 2008

letter mailed requesting more information for my daughter......04/15/08

Checks were cashed October 17th 2007

Filed: Timeline
I'm a bit of a product junkie, and related to a rather popular beauty editor (well, she is popular in the beauty editing world). She has given me access to a plethora of products from all over the world that I would never pay the price for. Most of them are worthless and she will agree, but it still puts lil ole Boots very much in the shade when it comes to value and quality.

I heard from that Dr Oz of 'You the Manual' that any skin creams that claim to be anti aging can only work if there's alpha hydroxy in it. Has your relative ever said anything like that?

Cmon Lou, you need to give us the inside track on what to buy! :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I heard from that Dr Oz of 'You the Manual' that any skin creams that claim to be anti aging can only work if there's alpha hydroxy in it. Has your relative ever said anything like that?

I agree, us wrinklies want to know! :lol:

OK wrinklies. Get your best reading specs on.

Basically, there are things in anti-aging moisturizers that do work: alpha hydroxy acid, retinol, peptides, and vit C. They work mainly by speeding up exfoliation which helps smooth your skin. If they don't have any of those ingredients in them they are a crock, and will only work temporarily by plumping the moisture in your skin.

She swears by any form of Retin-A which really does make you look younger. It takes around 2 months to really see a difference though. I tried Retin-A for 2 months and didn't see much of a difference, but I didn't have many wrinkles to start off with. Once they come, I'm deffo using it again though. :blush: I really like the Vitamin C moisturizers. They just work for me and my skin right now.

She is a big advocate of facial massages either at a spa (yeh right we all have loads of spare cash for that each month!), or a self massage at home. The act of touching your skin in a curative way will keep it youthful...yes, it will! I would also add drink LOADS of water, and always make sure you have plenty of EFAs in your diet, either through good quality supplements like Udos, or a good balanced diet.

Oh, and give up the fags. They do nowt for your skin. :bonk::yes:

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have recently got into LUSH products and luckily they are now opening loads of stores in the US!!!!

Certainly a rival to the BOOTS stuff as far as I am concerned......although a bit pricier in the US than the UK :crying:

Edited by Londonlassie

Our Dates

2003 - We met when I was living in the States for the year

10/2006 - He proposed and of course I said yes!!!!!

28/10/2006 - I-129F filed in Vermont

20/4/2007 - interview - APPROVED!!!

25/4/2007 - passport/K1 visa received

13/5/2007 - fly to NY

18/5/2007 - Court House Wedding (Big family wedding 4/8/2007)

21/5/2007 - AOS and EAD filed (via Chicago PO box)

21/5/2007 -Applied for SSN

29/5/2007 - SS card received

29/5/2007 - NOA1 received for AOS & EAD (day 8)

31/5/2007 - NOA received for Biometrics (day 10)

14/5/2007 - EAD touched!

21/6/2007 - Biometrics (day 31)

24/6/2007 - EAD & AOS touched!

3/7/2007 - AOS transferred to CSC

11/7/2007 - AOS touched Case pending at CSC

12/7/2007 - AOS touched again!

2/8/2008 - EAD card production ordered

3/8/2008 - AOS and EAD touched

ticker.png

Filed: Timeline

Basically, there are things in anti-aging moisturizers that do work: alpha hydroxy acid, retinol, peptides, and vit C. They work mainly by speeding up exfoliation which helps smooth your skin. If they don't have any of those ingredients in them they are a crock, and will only work temporarily by plumping the moisture in your skin.

She swears by any form of Retin-A which really does make you look younger. It takes around 2 months to really see a difference though. I tried Retin-A for 2 months and didn't see much of a difference, but I didn't have many wrinkles to start off with. Once they come, I'm deffo using it again though. :blush: I really like the Vitamin C moisturizers. They just work for me and my skin right now.

She is a big advocate of facial massages either at a spa (yeh right we all have loads of spare cash for that each month!), or a self massage at home. The act of touching your skin in a curative way will keep it youthful...yes, it will! I would also add drink LOADS of water, and always make sure you have plenty of EFAs in your diet, either through good quality supplements like Udos, or a good balanced diet.

I'm quitting smoking for the last time on May 6th. It's D's bday. As part of my bday gift, he quit smoking...he said he's giving me a healthy hubster (L) (L) (L) which is awesome. So I'm givin him a healthy weefey on his bday.

Any of those products PREVENT wrinklies? I just turned 33 and am starting to be paranoid, lol

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ah thanks Lou. The moisturises that I DO use contain Retin-A, I don't smoke and I drink tons of water. Luckily I don't actually have many wrinkles (years of hating the sun has helped) but I feel prevention is better than cure.

One thing I have used in the past that worked REALLY well, was Frownies. These bits of paper that you stick on your skin overnight. Smooths out the wrinkles and teaches you to not use certain facial muscles. I was starting to get a slight crows foot around my eye and after using these for 6 weeks it had gone.

I would go for a good diet as a prevention, Lisa...plus avoiding the sun like Mags says. It will just age your skin no matter what. A good high SPF every single day which I'm sure most people do anyway.

Good luck with the ciggies. I gave up 7 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. :thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: England
Timeline

LOVE IT!

We have a huge ailse in my local Target. I bought a few thinks just because I feel its my duty as a brit abroad.

Louise (Merseyside, UK) and Mike (NY, USA)

Together since 1998

25 Jun 2005 - Married in UK

I-130

07 Jul 2005 - Sent I-130 to Vermont

19 Jul 2005 - Received NOA1

30 Aug 2005 - APPROVED!!!

I-129F

21 Jul 2005 - Sent I-129F Spouse to Chicago

27 Jul 2005 - Chicago received our petition

02 Aug 2005 - Received NOA1

10 Aug 2005 - APPROVED!!!

19 Aug 2005 - Arrives at NVC

23 Aug 2005 - Received case number

25 Aug 2005 - Sent to London Consulate

30 Aug 2005 - London confirms it has been recieved

10 Sep 2005 - Recieved packet 3

13 Sep 2005 - Scheduled medical

15 Sep 2005 - Sent back packet 3 forms

04 Oct 2005 - Medical in Birmingham

07 Oct 2005 - Interview date set! Notification by email.

14 Oct 2005 - Recieved offical interview letter.

31 Oct 2005 - Interview date...VISA ISSUED!!!

04 Nov 2005 - Visa received!!!

7eaa89.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.