Detty2809

Converting to Islam

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i know i'll regret asking this but......................

what is the difference in getting married in a mosque as opposed to getting married in the ministry of marriage building in cairo, other than the fact that one is recognized by the US and one is not?

I kinda feel jipped since I only did that ministry of marriage one and no one ever asked me to prove that I'm a muslim. I've never gotten any type of certificate. Just said my shahada to a friend and that was that. Never was I ever aware that I needed a piece of paper to be a muslim. I mean......it's not goin' with me when my time comes, ya know what I mean?

hmmmm...lemme rephrase......................am I really married since I didn't do the mosque thing? :unsure:

Edited by doodlebug

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
=O really??

Man, maybe we need to find another place to convert...cuz this place that we found, said that he would need to know how to pray correctly first before they can issue the certificate!...very strict....

Thats a bunch of BS!!!!!!. a conversion is Between You and GOD!!! I'm sorry... but I would NOT trust any place that said they had to see you pray first BEFORE they issue a certificate.. That is Not Islamic.. To convert you need to Believe there is ONE GOD.. and that Mohamed (saw) was the LAST prophet of God.. AND THAT IS IT!!! Learning the prayers correctly takes time. It is a part of being Muslim, one of the pillars.. But to NOT give you a paper stating you took the shahada ??!!... WOW.. Honestly I am shocked.. And I hope.. inshallah.. it is NOT a man that wants to watch you pray!!

Honestly.. If i were you I would contact the Muslim American Society

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Timeline
=O really??

Man, maybe we need to find another place to convert...cuz this place that we found, said that he would need to know how to pray correctly first before they can issue the certificate!...very strict....

Thats a bunch of BS!!!!!!. a conversion is Between You and GOD!!! I'm sorry... but I would NOT trust any place that said they had to see you pray first BEFORE they issue a certificate.. That is Not Islamic.. To convert you need to Believe there is ONE GOD.. and that Mohamed (saw) was the LAST prophet of God.. AND THAT IS IT!!! Learning the prayers correctly takes time. It is a part of being Muslim, one of the pillars.. But to NOT give you a paper stating you took the shahada ??!!... WOW.. Honestly I am shocked.. And I hope.. inshallah.. it is NOT a man that wants to watch you pray!!

Honestly.. If i were you I would contact the Muslim American Society

It took me a little over a month to be able to do my prayers without using my cheat sheets. Not because I didn't know the physical gestures but to learn arabic was hard! If I had to do that before being officially a muslim I think I would have freaked! :blink:

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Timeline

Yes, you are really married. On your marriage cert. it says your religion and when you went to marry you had to list religion. If you are a Muslim marrying a Muslim at the ministry you were married by a Mazoon. Therefore it was an Islamic marriage. The ministry does marriages of Christians, Jews and Muslims and has ppl there to officiate over marriages for those religions.

what is the difference in getting married in a mosque as opposed to getting married in the ministry of marriage building in cairo, other than the fact that one is recognized by the US and one is not?

I kinda feel jipped since I only did that ministry of marriage one and no one ever asked me to prove that I'm a muslim. I've never gotten any type of certificate. Just said my shahada to a friend and that was that. Never was I ever aware that I needed a piece of paper to be a muslim. I mean......it's not goin' with me when my time comes, ya know what I mean?

hmmmm...lemme rephrase......................am I really married since I didn't do the mosque thing? :unsure:

Timeline

phew!!

So why the need for the mosque ceremony then? Is it just 'cause it's nice to add that extra touch?

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

AND I took did the Shahada from the Grand Sheik at Al Azhar!! .. and i while I was waiting I watched other people take the shahada.. NO ONE had to do anything else to receive their cert. I hate how people try to make Islam Hard... I am surprised at how much this made me Heated!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Timeline
AND I took did the Shahada from the Grand Sheik at Al Azhar!! .. and i while I was waiting I watched other people take the shahada.. NO ONE had to do anything else to receive their cert. I hate how people try to make Islam Hard... I am surprised at how much this made me Heated!

hahaha...I'm not!!!!!! Remember you're italian!!! :lol::lol: You sound just like my italian ex sister in law!!!! She used to get sooooooooo mad at stuff!!!!

That is ridiculous though!! i mean if it's good enough for Al Azhar what the heck!!!

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Doodle- since you were married in a muslim country you do have a muslim marriage. That is it was witnessed by at least 2 muslims. We did the marriage here in the mosque so we would have the 2 witnesses and Morocco would recognize our American marriage as legal in Morocco.

Maybe someone married in Egypt can give you more details.

I think since you feel a little shortchanged, I think you should later have some religious ceremony. it can be at the mosque or at a home. After he arrives here or when you can both go back to Egypt together.

ETA: oops Moody beat me to it!

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Yah, the reason why asked about the certificate thingie, is because in Indonesia they would actually ASK about it when they see that the person claiming as a muslim is...well...a foreigner. Especially for islamic marriage, they would want to be sure that the person really did convert.

Waalaikum salam Rae's Lover.

I'll try to find your fiancee. I need to ask her how she did it, so I can prepare my fiance. He is extremely concern, because he is in the navy and he travels all the time. Said that he needs to learn how to pray first before being able to get the certificate....learning how to pray can take months, since he's not used to arabic wordings/prayers.....i learned how to pray when i was a lil kid, so i memorize better =/. The thing is, our wedding should be around May...not much time left!!

Different countries have different requirements for determining whom is Muslim and those guidelines are decided by their ulema. It will do you no good to protest them. In Singapore, for example, converts must take classes and pass a test to satisfy the requirements, or their marriage will be annulled. This is true for female converts married to Muslim men too. They are one of a couple of countries that do not allow interfaith marriage for any Muslim.

I was born Muslim and have no certificate of conversion from a mosque. Since I lived in Morocco on an off, I didn't even think of needing to prove that I was Muslim when I married. However, Morocco does require a conversion paper from foreign men and women claiming to be Muslim when they marry. I didn't have one, so we didn't say anything about me being Muslim because it would have delayed the marriage until I could prove I converted. The ulema there don't believe there are born Muslims in the US, I guess.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Timeline

hahaha...I'm not!!!!!! Remember you're italian!!! :lol::lol: You sound just like my italian ex sister in law!!!! She used to get sooooooooo mad at stuff!!!!

That is ridiculous though!! i mean if it's good enough for Al Azhar what the heck!!!

HEY !!! whatcha trying to say ! :ranting::girlwerewolf2xn:

tee hee ;)

Edited by deemabrouk

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Your question is a little vague.

Are you asking "for K-3 (or CR-1) petition, is there a difference between getting married in a mosque as opposed to the ministry of marriage building"?

(obviously, the question makes no sense for K-1 as the marriage MUST be done in the US).

If the maulvi is authorised by government to sign marriage certificates, no diff (maybe time-saving as ONE step vs. two).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Your question is a little vague.

Are you asking "for K-3 (or CR-1) petition, is there a difference between getting married in a mosque as opposed to the ministry of marriage building"?

(obviously, the question makes no sense for K-1 as the marriage MUST be done in the US).

If the maulvi is authorised by government to sign marriage certificates, no diff (maybe time-saving as ONE step vs. two).

no i meant islamically. i know i'm legally married.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It took me a little over a month to be able to do my prayers without using my cheat sheets. Not because I didn't know the physical gestures but to learn arabic was hard! If I had to do that before being officially a muslim I think I would have freaked! :blink:

I may have asked this before, but why does a Muslim have to pray in Arabic? Can't one pray in their language of preference and it be acceptable to God?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.