maore

how many coloured CO in London ?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
For future reference, the word "coloured" to refer to Black or African-American is not used these days as it has a negative implication.

Actually it is used: http://www.naacp.org/home/

Well in my experience in the US in general in the past 20 years this word has a very negative implication and is somewhat offensive or gives the impression that the speaker is not educated. My thought was it was the use of this word that resulted in the shock by some readers.

In any event, I'm not interested in a discussion about personnel at consulates . . . I thought the OP was just concerned about questions he might be asked but apparently I was way off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Great way to put it...Go forward with what you need to do and keep your head up....and have confidence in yourself and you will do fine....

If you need to talk or chat, this is the place as you see. VJ has been the most wonderful place to vent and find information. It's like a huge family here. If everyone worried about themselves and dealt with there own issues. This world would be a more pleasant place. People want to worry about everyone elses problems to avoid there own. Thats what pisses me off......oh I am getting fired up......

Keep in Touch Maore you seem like a good person.....I'll fight for ya... :bonk:

7/4/05 - Met

4/16/06 - Went to Visit her in Manila

4/18/06 - Proposed to her at Baloy Beach Resort, Zambales, Subic Bay

4/27/06 - Sent to Nebraska Service Center

5/02/06 - I-129F Filed

10/17/06 - Petition approved in California Service Center and sent to NVC in New Hampshire

12/11/06 - NVC New Hampshire Received Case (FINALLY)!!!!!!

12/12/06 - Called today and got our MNL2006845xxx

12/19/06 - Case Arrive in Manila

02/28/07 - K-1 Packet arrived to my sweety

03/26/07 - CFO Seminar/needs to go back to after interview for sticker

03/29/07 - St Lukes Medical.

04/03/07 - Arrived for second time to be with my sweetheart....

04/11/07 - Interview Date----PASSED with flying colors......St Lukes was a little pain..but we fought em...

05/12/07 - My baby and I got home today POE Seattle Flight home arrived at 11:45AM.

Flight from Manila to Seoul was great, then a 12 hour layover in Seoul, that sucked big time. Flight to Seattle from Seoul was long and the plane was warm too. Once we got to Seattle it was so worth it.

06/08/07 - Got married in Everett WA

07/19/07 - Filed for AOS

10/15/07 - NOA for AOS

12/06/07 - Interview for Green Card approved in Seattle, good for 2 years.

12/18/07 - Green Card in the mail...wooo hoooo...will apply in 2 years for conditions removal.

07/01/08 - We had our first baby..Renae Sofia Reynolds 8 lbs 3oz-C-Section.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

huh? no words either.

i'm colored. usually pinkish, but then in the sun i'm colored in a different way. it's more like a fire coral. and my fiance is colored as well. but he's more like brownish colored. then in the sun, i'd say he becomes burnt-umber colored.

is that what the op is refering to?

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think the OP used the word "colored" when he meant what we would usually call "minority". If you replace the word, I think the OP has a valid concern.

ETA: What I mean is that I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to suggest that racism still exists.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
huh? no words either.

i'm colored. usually pinkish, but then in the sun i'm colored in a different way. it's more like a fire coral. and my fiance is colored as well. but he's more like brownish colored. then in the sun, i'd say he becomes burnt-umber colored.

is that what the op is refering to?

I dont' think so. My experience is that some British people use the word colored for what we call African Americans, and it does not have the negative connotation there that is does in the US.

heheh.. fire coral.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I think I'm going to try to stop posting sarcastically...it doesn't seem to work in posts. :(

Timeline
I really hope/wish you are right about me being in the wrong shift/rota.

I hear you saying that you think that because London itself is such a diverse city, the US Embassy there should do a better job of representing the many non-whites who live in the US--is that right?

I'm interested in your topic because I became very interested in working in the Foreign Service/Dept of State myself at one point and I'm interested in people's perceptions of the job & the place.

Keep in mind that many of the staffers you see (admin personnel etc) are actually locals. It may just have been the hiring pool at the time, or like I suggested, you got a vanilla rotation. ;) I remember in Athens (hardly a racially diverse place) that fully half the visa officers were non-white USCs. I think I only noticed because I hadn't seen many non-whites in general in Greece, and very few Americans.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
I think I'm going to try to stop posting sarcastically...it doesn't seem to work in posts. :(

oops! :blush: Not til we know each other better, I guess.

Looked like you were working up a rightious indignation there for a minute. ;)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

oops! :blush: Not til we know each other better, I guess.

Looked like you were working up a rightious indignation there for a minute. ;)

Sorry, was just feeling a bit cheeky for a while! Now just sleepy. But aside from my smart a$$ response, I do think the original question was interesting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
For future reference, the word "coloured" to refer to Black or African-American is not used these days as it has a negative implication.

Actually it is used: http://www.naacp.org/home/

Well in my experience in the US in general in the past 20 years this word has a very negative implication and is somewhat offensive or gives the impression that the speaker is not educated. My thought was it was the use of this word that resulted in the shock by some readers.

In any event, I'm not interested in a discussion about personnel at consulates . . . I thought the OP was just concerned about questions he might be asked but apparently I was way off.

When I saw this post I sort of thought it was how many coloured Coloradans are there in London.

Coloured is not generally used now, it certainly was OK in my experience, not sure when it changed, everybody is far too PC, except maybe in an older age group.

The PC terms are Black British, British Asian etc. But some terms can change very quickly, asylum seeker for example.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.