Shailendra

K3 vs K1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a US citizen looking to get married to my girlfriend from Canada who is a Canadian citizen. Both of us being Indian, we will be doing the Indian ceremony in Canada in July.

I would like to bring my fiance to the States once our Indian ceremony is done in July.

My questions are:

What is the process for bringing her here to the US once we are married (is K1 faster than K3)?

If the K1 or K3 are in process, is she allowed into the States to be with me?

Is it better to get a court marriage done here in the States, then apply for her green card (I-485) and bypassing the whole K1/K3 process?

Any help is appreciated,

Shailendra

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

I'm a US citizen looking to get married to my girlfriend from Canada who is a Canadian citizen. Both of us being Indian, we will be doing the Indian ceremony in Canada in July.

I would like to bring my fiance to the States once our Indian ceremony is done in July.

My questions are:

What is the process for bringing her here to the US once we are married (is K1 faster than K3)?

Is it better to get a court marriage done here in the States, then apply for her green card (I-485) and bypassing the whole K1/K3 process?

Any help is appreciated,

Shailendra

Once you are legally married you don't have a fiance, so she doesn't qualify for a K1 visa. Where is she living now? If she's already in the US legally, yes you could get married and adjust status. If she's living in Canada now, that's another animal.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Shailendra,

She's allowed to visit, if she can convince the CBP officer at the POE that visiting is all she'll be doing. She is not allowed to take up residence in the USA until she has obtained the appropriate visa.

Which, as pushbrk has explained, will not be a K1 visa.

Yodrak

Shailendra

Timeline
Hi,

My questions are:

Any help is appreciated,

Shailendra

Once you are legally married you don't have a fiance, so she doesn't qualify for a K1 visa. Where is she living now? If she's already in the US legally, yes you could get married and adjust status. If she's living in Canada now, that's another animal.

Suppose she were to come here next month, and we get married in Reno. I'm assuming if this happens, she is out of the K1 process and the K3 process needs to be started. Assuming the K3 process is started, is she allowed to go back and forth to Canada while the K3 is being processed?

Hi,

My questions are:

Any help is appreciated,

Shailendra

She's currenly living in Canada...

Shailendra,

No, it doesn't. The K3 visa is an option, not a requirement. There is another visa available to the spouses of US citizens.

Yodrak

Suppose she were to come here next month, and we get married in Reno. I'm assuming if this happens, she is out of the K1 process and the K3 process needs to be started. .....

Timeline
Shailendra,

No, it doesn't. The K3 visa is an option, not a requirement. There is another visa available to the spouses of US citizens.

Yodrak

Suppose she were to come here next month, and we get married in Reno. I'm assuming if this happens, she is out of the K1 process and the K3 process needs to be started. .....

Yodrak,

What is the advantage of a K1 vs K3, or vice versa.

Shailendra

Shailendra,

One's good if you're not married yet, the other's good if you are.

Beyond that it depends on your specific circumstances and objectives. You wrote that you want to get married in Canada and then have your wife immigrate to the USA. That makes the K3 better than the K1 for you. But as I wrote previously, K3 isn't your only option.

Time for you to do more reading and less writing for a while.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Shailendra

Timeline
Shailendra,

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Shailendra

There are guides here for you to read if you want an education on the visa types.

You've already said you want to marry in Canada in July. The K1 visa is only for marriage in the USA. The first thing for you to do is decide about your marriage plans, then apply for the appropriate visa.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You've already said you want to marry in Canada in July. The K1 visa is only for marriage in the USA. The first thing for you to do is decide about your marriage plans, then apply for the appropriate visa.

The other point I'd add is the stated desire to have a ceremony in July AND bring the bride to the US. No matter which option, it should be highlighted that she won't be moving to the US this July with the options currently on the table.

If she works in a TN qualified field, she might look at that. (nod to sirniv!)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you're planning to marry in July your options are a K-3 or CR-1 visa. The K-3 is generally quicker while the CR-1 is 'better'. Check out the guides and look at the specific K-3 and CR-1 forums and you'll start to understand the differences. Good luck! :)

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Timeline
If you're planning to marry in July your options are a K-3 or CR-1 visa. The K-3 is generally quicker while the CR-1 is 'better'. Check out the guides and look at the specific K-3 and CR-1 forums and you'll start to understand the differences. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into both of them.

However, being a Canadian citizen like she is, I assume she can come and stay with me in the States till her immigration status is being reviewed, correct?

Timeline

However, being a Canadian citizen like she is, I assume she can come and stay with me in the States till her immigration status is being reviewed, correct?

Canadian Citizens are allowed to visit the USA without a visa. Your Canadian wife is not allowed to move to the USA and set up residence with her US Citizen husband until after she has the appropriate visa.

Check out the difference in the definitions of "visit" and "reside" and plan accordingly.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

She can ask to be admitted, like any other non-USC. :)

There are no guarantees, for being Canadian or otherwise.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

Canadian Citizens are allowed to visit the USA without a visa. Your Canadian wife is not allowed to move to the USA and set up residence with her US Citizen husband until after she has the appropriate visa.

Check out the difference in the definitions of "visit" and "reside" and plan accordingly.

So she can "visit" here...and since Canadian citizens do not need a visa, I believe the longest they can "visit" here is 6 months at a time, correct?

Timeline
So she can "visit" here...and since Canadian citizens do not need a visa, I believe the longest they can "visit" here is 6 months at a time, correct?

Yeah, but no "quotes" around it. If the border agent thinks she is coming over to live here, or stay long term, or whatever else you want to call it, he can and will deny her entry. We have a member here with a VERY painful and expensive story on the same topic.

Canadians are allowed 180 days of tourist entry to the US per year. If she already has time here this year, that should be deducted.

I agree with Yodrak, it's time for more reading, less posting. :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.