chrisepic

I-134/I-864

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Even after reading on both of them, I still really can't find a clear difference between the two- which one should I use, does it matter? I will be filling one out, and my father will be doing one as our Co-sponsor. Which one do we use, do we use the same one? Do we each use different ones?

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

If you're filing for a CR1/IR1 Visa, you will need to fill in form I-864. If you're filing for K1/K3 visa, you will file I-134. However, you will be mailed those one of those two forms to complete when the time comes.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

First you have to decide which Visa you are going to apply for - which "track" you will take.

The K-1 is the quickest and easiest - your Fiancé comes to the States on a 90 day visa. She gets a chance to see the place and then you either get married or she returns. Minimal requirements include an I-134 (which I understand does not require notarization any longer).

Even after reading on both of them, I still really can't find a clear difference between the two- which one should I use, does it matter? I will be filling one out, and my father will be doing one as our Co-sponsor. Which one do we use, do we use the same one? Do we each use different ones?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
First you have to decide which Visa you are going to apply for - which "track" you will take.

The K-1 is the quickest and easiest - your Fiancé comes to the States on a 90 day visa. She gets a chance to see the place and then you either get married or she returns. Minimal requirements include an I-134 (which I understand does not require notarization any longer).

I'm actually trying to pursue both the K3 and IR-1/CR-1 at the same time. I'm expecting the K3 to go more quickly, but if the IR-1/CR-1 looks like it's not very far behind then we would choose that in favor of the K3. So does this mean I'll need to file both an I-134 and I-864? Also, I'm curious if I continue following the steps for the I-130, but she gets the K3, what happens? DCF was so much simpler! lol

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

I'm actually trying to pursue both the K3 and IR-1/CR-1 at the same time. I'm expecting the K3 to go more quickly, but if the IR-1/CR-1 looks like it's not very far behind then we would choose that in favor of the K3. So does this mean I'll need to file both an I-134 and I-864? Also, I'm curious if I continue following the steps for the I-130, but she gets the K3, what happens? DCF was so much simpler! lol

chrisepic,

If you're pursuing K3 use only form I-134, however, you don't need to fill it out yet until they mail it out to you.

livelovers,

If you're pursuing K3, your I-130 will be retained by USCIS and you will go forward with K3 only. Some posters wanted to abandon the K3 route, but, in order to that they had to contact USCIS. If you decide to follow up with CR1, then you forwarded an I-864 Fee Bill which is 384 dollars. Same thing with you, you need to wait for them to send the form out before you can file them.

My I-130 CR-1 was already well into processing at NVC before I filed the I-129F K-3.

Both are proceeding - there is no "precedence"

They both very well could end up at the Embassy.

chrisepic,

If you're pursuing K3 use only form I-134, however, you don't need to fill it out yet until they mail it out to you.

livelovers,

If you're pursuing K3, your I-130 will be retained by USCIS and you will go forward with K3 only. Some posters wanted to abandon the K3 route, but, in order to that they had to contact USCIS. If you decide to follow up with CR1, then you forwarded an I-864 Fee Bill which is 384 dollars. Same thing with you, you need to wait for them to send the form out before you can file them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I forgot to add that I intend to have both my I-130 and I-129F processed in parallel. When I did my I-130 I clearly stated in several places that I intended to pursue the consular option so I didn't want them to retain it. I figured that would be much quicker and cheaper then later filing the form to get them to forward it on to NVC. Whether or not it actually works remains to be seen though. But in any case, I'm assuming for now they will both end up at the embassy at some point.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
chrisepic,

My father (the Co-sponsor) will fill out the same type of form I do, right? The I-134?

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Timeline

No. He will fill in form I-134. You will not fill it because you don't meet the income requirements. The instructions on the form also asked for it to be notarized. Use infopass to schedule an appointment at the local district office to have it notarized. Just follow the instructions.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Is this true? The I-134 doesn't have to be notarized? I've been reading all day about this form and have yet to read anything of this nature.

Beameup: Where did you find this out? Thanks.

Timeline

No. It's not true. As per instruction on the form itself, it asked for notarization by an official who holds authority on the case. Some consulate don't require it based on many posts by those who went through the process, however, on the instruction, it specifically mentioned to have it notarized. You need to schedule an infopass appointment and bring the required materials specified.

Filed: Timeline

consolemaster,

I-134 can be notarized by any US notary public. One does not need to have a USCIS employee notarize it, and one does not need to have any of the associated documentation on hand. The notary is only verifying that the person signing the I-134 is who they claim to be.

Yodrak

No. It's not true. As per instruction on the form itself, it asked for notarization by an official who holds authority on the case. Some consulate don't require it based on many posts by those who went through the process, however, on the instruction, it specifically mentioned to have it notarized. You need to schedule an infopass appointment and bring the required materials specified.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Since you are filing for K1 and using a co-sponsor both you and your father will fill out an I-134 and have them notarized as well as supplying the appropriate supporting evidence. Where income is sufficient, asset related questions can be left blank. Normally it is not advised to leave questions blank but on the I-134 it is acceptable under these circumstances. Disclosing assets could prompt the adjudicator to ask for proof the assets exist. If they aren't needed to meet the income requirement it is best not to address them at all.

You do not need to wait for an I-134 to be mailed to you but it is prudent to sign it and provide supporting documentation dated as close to the actual interview time as practical. I've actually never heard of a Consulate or Embassy mailing an I-134. NVC mails I-864's to CR/IR petitioners though.

You do not "file" an I-134. You have it on hand to be handed over if and when it is asked for at interview time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

chrisepic,

I think you may find that not all embassies have the same requirements. Have you looked at the Manila interview packets?

http://usembassy.state.gov/manila/wwwh3023.html

As to who should fill out the I-134 (for a K visa), I've read of others having two, as in, your spouse/fiancee would submit your father's form at the interview, but also have yours ready in case it is requested. But I don't really know what they will accept in Manila. You might try searching the archives, or asking this question in the context of the Manila Embassy, or even in the "Manila Interview" thread. Maybe you can find others who have successfully gone through the same thing there.

Mike

Filed: Other Timeline
chrisepic,

My father (the Co-sponsor) will fill out the same type of form I do, right? The I-134?

Are you aware of the anecdotal evidence in this community of Manila's opinion of financial co-sponsors?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.