Niels Bohr

Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I came about this link regarding to marriage fraud for the sole purpose of obtaining a Permanent Residence. It states that the Law was the consequence of numerous testimonies from citizens whose spouse left them after obtaining permanent residence status! :diablo:

This is the reason why it's hard for us to get VISAs for our SO. I don't like it at all. Those citizens who have their spouses left them went and tell Congress so that the next generations won't suffer the same fate. Geezes.

Some people here on this forum who filed legit evidence to show immigration officials that their marriage is genuine gets denied cold in the face because of this law. Why deny those with legit paperworks? This is unacceptable!

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I came about this <a href="http://"http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?act=post&do=new_post&f=116"" target="_blank">link</a> regarding to marriage fraud for the sole purpose of obtaining a Permanent Residence. It states that the Law was the consequence of numerous testimonies from citizens whose spouse left them after obtaining permanent residence status! :diablo:

This is the reason why it's hard for us to get VISAs for our SO. I don't like it at all. Those citizens who have their spouses left them went and tell Congress so that the next generations won't suffer the same fate. Geezes.

Some people here on this forum who filed legit evidence to show immigration officials that their marriage is genuine gets denied cold in the face because of this law. Why deny those with legit paperworks? This is unacceptable!

I would have liked to read your article but the link is dead. I agree, immigration certainly can make a nightmare out of the process for good people in thier quest to bring thier loved one to the USA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Welcome to the world of How the Legislative Process Works.

In this world, the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease. This is why you should write, visit, and bother your representatives in Washington CONSTANTLY about the current visa process for spouses. Additionally, you should keep yourself informed about any new immigration law and try to figure out how it might affect you--positively or negatively!

The reason, for example, that the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act was passed is because John Walsh and his organization were up their testifying. I can't expect that all of us would go to Washington, DC and testify, but if we want things to get better when it comes to the visa process, insteaad of worse, WE HAVE TO MAKE NOISE. We have to testify. We have to exercise our rights.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

They should have everyone whose spouse DIDN'T marry them just for a green card go and testify. LOL, they'd get sick of all the people.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Timeline
Oh let me see.

The title of the post is Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986.....

Little late to the table, aren't you, consolemaster?

This law is still effective. Just like the Digital Millineium Act of 2000.

Filed: Other Timeline
Oh let me see.

The title of the post is Marriage Fraud Amendments of 1986.....

Little late to the table, aren't you, consolemaster?

This law is still effective. Just like the Digital Millineium Act of 2000.

And this Digital Millenium Act of 2000 has what to do with marriage fraud?

LOL. The point was laws are designated by their year to reference when the bill was signed. It doesn't mean it's outdated.

Of course it isn't outdated.

Your original post implies shock at discovery of this law. My reply is it's been around for better than 20 years. So you didn't uncover something new here.

This bill and another passed 10 years later contained major overhauls of immigration law, just as we are about to see another overhaul in this session of Congress.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I came about this <a href="http://"http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?act=post&do=new_post&f=116"" target="_blank">link</a> regarding to marriage fraud for the sole purpose of obtaining a Permanent Residence. It states that the Law was the consequence of numerous testimonies from citizens whose spouse left them after obtaining permanent residence status! :diablo:

Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches. :dead::bonk:

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

EVEN I FEEL THE SAME WAY

THE CITIZENS SHOULDNT COMPLAIN THIS WAY

THE REAL MARRIAGES MAY SUFFER :crying:

india.gifusa.gif

NVC:

03/14/2007-NVC ASSIGNS CASE NUMBER

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL AND DS-3032 GENERATED

03/29/2007-AOS FEE BILL FEES MAILED AND DS-3032 MAILED

04/03/2007-NVC ACKNOWLEDGES CHOICE OF AGENT

04/10/2007-I.V FEE BILL GENERATED

04/18/2007-I-864 GENERATED

04/20/2007-I.V. BILL RECEIVED & MAILED TO N.V.C

04/23/2007-I-864 SENT TO NVC

04/26/2007-I.V. FEE BILL & I-864 ENTERED INTO THE NVC SYSTEM

04/30/2007-NVC BARCODE & INSTRUCTIONS FOR DS-230

05/09/2007-DS-230 SENT

05/23/2007-CASE COMPLETED

VISA APPROVED .

05/XX/2007-FLIGHT To JFK POE

another step of I-751 coming near :)

p.s. My opinion is only what i read research and get advices from experienced people.I aint any

lawyer .

.png

Namastey !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
Your original post implies shock at discovery of this law. My reply is it's been around for better than 20 years. So you didn't uncover something new here.

Unfortunately, most people don't sit down and read through the myriad number of immigration laws and regulations "just for fun" or "because they have a lot of time on their hands." Most Americans are completely unaware that it IS difficult to get your spouse into the country. Most of them think that since you're married, you just fill out a form, send it to the government, they say CONGRATULATIONS! Let's get you a visa RIGHT NOW! Everyone I have explained the process to has been extremely shocked at how long and drawn out it is.

But up until that moment, they hadn't known about it. Why? Because immigration doesn't affect them.

I had no idea it was so difficult until I started considering marrying my now-husband. I didn't know how difficult it really was until I started reading this forum, and until the Adam Walsh Act passed.

Bet none of you had heard of the Adam Walsh Act until it started affecting US in January, huh? That's how the government works right now. You'll never know what laws are on the book until it turns out one of them affects you.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

I believe the OP was stating that because some people went up on Capitol Hill and testifed, that immigration law was changed, and that these changes have a negative impact on bringing loved ones to the US.

I certainly hope that no one here is advocating that citizens should not be encouraged to go to our representatives and testify whenever law changes are about to take place. "The Citizens shouldnt complain this way"? Give me a break. Do you think that somebody should only be allowed on the Hill if it's gonna shine all roses and sunlight on an issue?

Geist, I agree with you that most people haven't a clue about immigration law. I sure didn't before I fell in love with my husband.

But I kind of think that coming to this board and going 'oh lookie at this bad law I found' is a bit sensationalistic. As for IMBRA and Adam Walsh legislation - those laws are not a problem for most people, anymore than a fraud marriage is. If you have nothing to hide, the wheels of justice will have no adverse effect on you.

Unless of course we DO lose the right to testify before Congress, along with other various liberties afforded us.

Yeah, sorry. I don't think it does anyone any good to pretend there isn't fraud or abuse. Would you rather the K-1 have restrictions, or would you rather everyone assuming that your fiancée is only with you to get out of a third-world country because 'everyone knows' it's so easy to get a green card by fraudulently marrying an American?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

Caladan,

Fraud do exist. Some people are just blinded to see that they're victims of fraud. And, they decided enough is enough time to get revenge. However, for those who read the signs of fraud and follow directions, they are suffering the most from this because they are the ones who found someone important to them and have to go through tough restrictions.

For those who cannot see fraud happening to them, they went to ask the government for help. I find that really immature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.