Kristen&Mark

a little help

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hey friends,

My friend Phoebe told me about this site and I'm excited. I need all the help I can get. Lots of crying and being stressed out lately! I'm filing it myself but it seems that everyone's been telling me to get a lawyer, which I can't afford.

Does anyone know:

1) Where should documents be translated? Does it need to be special places?

2) How should I present my "evidence" of having proof of meeting within 2 years (emails, photos...) And how much stuff should I be printing off, old letters and such?

3) Does the I-129 need to be typed or could we just use black pen?

4) Can we visit Nicaragua after we are married, or is there a waiting time that he can't go back into the country?

Thanks so much. BE STRONG. keep the faith. peace!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Read the K1 flowchart, read the guides here as well.

You can handwrite or use your computer to fill out the I-129F. You can save copies of a filled out I-129F on your computer. The computer is VERY useful for the G-325A, which also has to be submitted (one each for you and your fiance) - and there's 4 copies EACH, but they will automatically fill themselves out if you type the first page. That form, however, you cannot save a copy to your computer. All government forms require original signatures.

You can visit his country after you are married - BUT - only after you file the required forms to adjust your spouse's status AND request "advance parole" - it's a form - don't stress about it right now, you have TONS of time to learn about it. Don't leave the country until you have it, or another whole visa will be required to get back in.

You probably DON'T NEED A LAWYER. Spend a week reading everything you can here and on the USCIS website. Then ask us questions. Then have a glass of wine. Read over all the instructions with the government forms. Practice filling one out. Have another glass of wine. Be glad you saved the money you'd have wasted on an attorney.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Timeline

Marhaba Kristen!

For proof of meeting I used pictures and a copy of my FF airline miles account.

You can either type or print the I129-F, but use black ink. I think typing it makes it neater,but you don't have to do that.

Your fiancee will need to apply for and receive advance parole before he leaves the country again after entering on the K1.

Please check out the K1 guides section at the top of the page for lots of info.

Good Luck

drinkblink14.gif

Timeline

Oh - evidence:

There is "primary" evidence and "secondary evidence" - though you won't find that distinction on the instruction forms. But trust us.

The BEST evidence will be boarding passes or train/bus tickets with your names on them and copies of your passports showing entry into each other countries for visits. Hotel receipts are good two with your names on them.

Secondary evidence is good - but don't go overboard. Secondary evidence is the more touchy-feely stuff like phone records, emails, IM chat transcripts, photographs, etc.

You don't need to include hundreds of pages of phone records or emails or photos. Get some copies of photos that show you two together - great if you have some that are obviously taken in one country or the other or both. With parents or friends, whatever. You can either get copies made at a photo place or if you have digital photos, print them out on a good printer or copier and simply write on the dates and the descriptions underneath.

Check this out: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

You can assemble the packet using an acco binder (those little metal binder things that go through two holes punched at the top of your papers - think medical files, if that helps), you can include binders or use tabs to separate your sections. Basically, however you assemble the package is totally fine - just make it easy for whomever reviews it to identify all your papers. Use a highligher to highlight important passport stamps or your name on a boarding pass, etc.

p.s. as for everyone telling you you need a lawyer: they are saying that because when you don't know anything about the process it seems big, scary, unknown, daunting, and impossible. But you can educate yourself swiftly and effectively using online resources and some god-given common sense. Your judgment will get you far in this process - and people here can help you along the way. i'm a lawyer and i'm telling you you probably don't need us! ;)

caveat: if you have a complicated case (has your fiance had a run in with the US government on immigration issues?) then you may need to seek professional help. if you have a normal case, or even just a few hiccups, you'll probably be fine.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! :D

I used the guides (at the tab in the top) and they helped me a lot! My fiancé's visa was approved without problems by following the guides on how to assemble the packets.

You probably won't need a lawyer if your case doesn't have complications, and you can fill the forms yourself on the computer. You can fill them by hand. (I recommend filling them with your computer). But please check all the info here at the guides before hiring a lawyer as you may find all you need in here :)

For translations, you need a letter from a person certifying that he/she is fluent with the language being translated.

To go back and visit Nicaragua after marriage, you would need to apply for Advanced Parole or wait to receive the Green Card. If you leave without AP while AOS pending, they think you abandonned the petition. When you have your GC, you are ready to go! :thumbs:

Good Luck!!!

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey friends,

My friend Phoebe told me about this site and I'm excited. I need all the help I can get. Lots of crying and being stressed out lately! I'm filing it myself but it seems that everyone's been telling me to get a lawyer, which I can't afford.

Does anyone know:

1) Where should documents be translated? Does it need to be special places?

2) How should I present my "evidence" of having proof of meeting within 2 years (emails, photos...) And how much stuff should I be printing off, old letters and such?

3) Does the I-129 need to be typed or could we just use black pen?

4) Can we visit Nicaragua after we are married, or is there a waiting time that he can't go back into the country?

Thanks so much. BE STRONG. keep the faith. peace!

1) Documents need to be translated by someone who is competent in both English and the other language. The translator must sign a statement stating such....

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...9881f8ec6718597

2) E-mails & letters are not evidence to support the proof of meeting requirement

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

WOW, thanks everyone for sharing your words of wisdom! It's greatly appreciated. Anyone know how do I send documents I need him to sign? For the G-325A, I guess I need his signature... but the mail system in Nicaragua on the Atlantic coast is HORRID. As in, they open stuff and it never gets there. I'm a little worried about this!

THANKS again and have a great day. Peace. :thumbs:

Timeline

Does he have access to a computer? If so, he can fill out his own forms, print, sign, and mail them to you. He also should mail you the required letter of intent to marry - which needs his original signature too, and the passport photos required.

Is outgoing mail anymore reliable? If so, having him find a computer will probably speed things up for you since then you'll be waiting for mail in just one direction.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.