chrisepic

US Citizen, Filipina Fiancee

24 posts in this topic

If you want to get married in July and take the K-1 path, you can do so, as long as the marriage is not legally binding (no marriage cert) and you do not refer to each other as husband and wife for offical purposes (Interview, etc). Then follow that up with a civil wedding here in the US, after the K-1 is approved. Thats probably the quickest way the two of you will be able to get together in the US. Assuming no delays.

Thats a good idea! I'll see if her parents approve now :)

If you do go this path, don't mention it to any immigration officals. Although its not legally binding, it is possible that it will cause confusion and delays.

keTiiDCjGVo

Make sure you have plenty of evidence to show that you aren't really getting married, however, you don't want to jeopardize your K1 application.

Well, as far as money goes, thank God for student loans! I'm traveling to the Philippines in July, I could only probably plan one more trip after that (to pick her up when she gets her visa!)

So, yeah, I'd like to do the wedding ceremony without the legal marriage in the Philippines so I can get jump started on the K-1 Visa as soon as she gets her brith certificate corrected so she can get her passport. But even at that rate, the time difference between the K-1 and the K-3 is only a matter of a couple of months or so, so I may want to do it by the book so I dont risk scrutiny, right?

What kind of evidence do you mean? Not calling each other husband and wife in customs? Not wearing the wedding rings? Stuff like that?

With K-1 you do have to show evidence that you have met each other in the past two years. Anything from photos, to recepits to boarding passes help here. Just send copies. You need to show that you were in the philipines at some point and that you were with each other.

keTiiDCjGVo

Make sure you have plenty of evidence to show that you aren't really getting married, however, you don't want to jeopardize your K1 application.

Well, as far as money goes, thank God for student loans! I'm traveling to the Philippines in July, I could only probably plan one more trip after that (to pick her up when she gets her visa!)

So, yeah, I'd like to do the wedding ceremony without the legal marriage in the Philippines so I can get jump started on the K-1 Visa as soon as she gets her brith certificate corrected so she can get her passport. But even at that rate, the time difference between the K-1 and the K-3 is only a matter of a couple of months or so, so I may want to do it by the book so I dont risk scrutiny, right?

What kind of evidence do you mean? Not calling each other husband and wife in customs? Not wearing the wedding rings? Stuff like that?

I agree wtih everyone else has been saying but in my original explanation I recommended going with the K1 because he could go ahead and apply for it like right now as opposed to waiting ,planning and then marrying her for the k3.

yes they both take about the same but going through the whole process ill be faster with the K1.

Fofire

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Be sure to take lots of pictures of you being together, pictures of you with her family and relatives and get to know her while you are there in the Philippines!

Good luck!!!

"YEHEY"! My fiancee and the people around her all say Yeah like that! Sorry, nostalgic.

Yes, absolutely. I took a bunch of pictures a couple of weeks ago when I was there and I have emails going all the way back to the begining of our friendship, including an email with her fathers blessing that I just court her, not to mention an engagement announcement with our photo published in my local newspaper this week.

Salamat!

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Looks like you got some good advice already so I'll just say congrats on the engagement and welcome to VisaJourney! :thumbs:

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Well, her and her family wanted us to marry in the Philippines first, thats why. I was all about doing the fiancee thing and getting her over to the US first, marrying her, both of us working and saving, and then going back to the Philippines to marry. Its seems more practicle to me.

So the fiancee route then eh?

Otherwise she wont be able to come over until a year after we marry? Yeah- lots of stuff to think about- this stuff is so exhausting...

Thanks!

My wife's family wanted us to get married in the Philippines too but my research showed that I could get her here much quicker filing for a fiancee visa. At the time fiancee visas were taking about 5 months and spousal visas were taking about 10 months to a year. I am not sure what the ratio is now but you could try a timeline search on Manila to get an idea. We also plan to have a traditional wedding when we go back for a visit! Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, just don't call her "my wife" in front of US govnt officials. You should be fine - there are others who have done things this way too. In fact, most American couples who have destination weddings really end up doing things legally here and ceremonially abroad.

Don't even worry about mentioned the pre-party in PI. But do plan on talking about where you'll be legally married in the US (which city hall or chapel, in Vegas, at a church, etc - wherever you want).

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Well, her and her family wanted us to marry in the Philippines first, thats why. I was all about doing the fiancee thing and getting her over to the US first, marrying her, both of us working and saving, and then going back to the Philippines to marry. Its seems more practicle to me.

So the fiancee route then eh?

Otherwise she wont be able to come over until a year after we marry? Yeah- lots of stuff to think about- this stuff is so exhausting...

Thanks!

My wife's family wanted us to get married in the Philippines too but my research showed that I could get her here much quicker filing for a fiancee visa. At the time fiancee visas were taking about 5 months and spousal visas were taking about 10 months to a year. I am not sure what the ratio is now but you could try a timeline search on Manila to get an idea. We also plan to have a traditional wedding when we go back for a visit! Good luck :thumbs:

My fiancee is from Mindanao, too- she took her nursing board exams in Cagayan de Oro.

Anyway- yeah- we'll do a wedding without the marriage certificate in the philippines with a fiancee visa application in the process and marry legally in the US when she gets approved.

How did your process go through without an interview?

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I recently read about someone who had a K1 interview in Vietnam or China and the consular officer asked her about her "husband" and she replied that he wasn't her "husband" but that he was her "fiance". Perhaps the CO was trying to trip her up or perhaps he was just not paying that much attention.

Also, when she goes through the POE in the U.S. on a K1, make sure she doesn't refer to you as "husband" and to make sure that she doesn't have any pictures of the non-legal ceremony on her. I have heard that people have been denied entry on a K1 at the POE for having pictures of that sort. Not sure how true that is or if it's just a rumour, but just something to think about when that time comes.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.