Melyssa

How are NOA1 and NOA2 received? And what are the packets?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have some more questions now that we sent our petition...

How are the NOA1 and NOA2 received? Do they send everything to the USC or do they send something to the non-USC too? Main reason I'm wondering is because the latest address on my G-325A form I won't be living at in a week and a half.

It seems like they email the USC (since the USC is able to put an email address on their I-129F petition) and then send the real thing in the mail. What exactly will be contained in this thing? (And what about the NOA2 also?)

Also, what's all this talk about "Packet 3" and "Packet 4" ??? How many packets are there and how do they know where to send them? What are the packets anyway??

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

The USC is the petitioner so he/she gets the NOA1&2 via snail-mail (once you have a receipt number, you can also check status and receive your NOA2 via email) if you register on the USCIS website - having it on your I129F doesn't make it automatic.

The USPS will not forward your mail, so it is best you list an address you can receive mail at.

You're going to be much better off if you read the K1 (and other) Guides (above) since all these an more questions are there in the Step by Step and FAQs. Not that anyone doesn't mind answering, but mainly because you there are probably many other things you don't know you don't know.. Like they say "you don't know, what you don't know"

And welcome to VJ.. =)

Timeline
The USPS will not forward your mail, so it is best you list an address you can receive mail at.

Thanks! I understood your comments except for this one. When and where do you mean I should list an address I can receive mail at? And if the USC (petitioner) gets everything, what do I receive in the mail anyway?

Plus I can't list anything new in the I-129F package as it's already been sent. If they do happen to send anything to this address the people I'm living with would be glad to forward it to me though, so maybe it's not a big deal.

Plus I did read those guides but maybe I missed an answer for this! ;)

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have some more questions now that we sent our petition...

How are the NOA1 and NOA2 received? Do they send everything to the USC or do they send something to the non-USC too? Main reason I'm wondering is because the latest address on my G-325A form I won't be living at in a week and a half.

It seems like they email the USC (since the USC is able to put an email address on their I-129F petition) and then send the real thing in the mail. What exactly will be contained in this thing? (And what about the NOA2 also?)

Also, what's all this talk about "Packet 3" and "Packet 4" ??? How many packets are there and how do they know where to send them? What are the packets anyway??

Hello! They mail everything to the USC until you get to the packets, which are mailed to the non USC. You need to change your address on the forms though as soon as you move. You can do this, I believe, by calling USCIS; however, there are specific instructions on how to do this on the forms I believe.

Anyway, back to your questions: The NOA1 is received by mail only -once they cash your check you can see your case number on the back of it. If they cash your check before you receive the NOA1 in the mail -which will probably be the case- you can log on to the USCIS website and use the case number (found on the back of your check) to apply for online updates. If you do this before the NOA1, you could be notified on the NOA1 by email. The NOA2 is given in the same way. However, by this time you should have email updates set up, so you will probably be informed by email before you get the hard copy in the mail. Nothing is contained in your NOA1, except your case number...which is very important. Your NOA2 is needed for your AOS which will happen later. I would recommend saving EVERYTHING you get from USCIS, NVC, Embassy, etc...JUST in case.

Packets and how many there are depends on your embassy and where you are. Most send a Packet 3 which has documents you will need to fill out before they will give you an interview date. Packet 4 just has last minute information in it and stuff you may need to bring to the interview. You get packet 3 AFTER the embassy receives your petition from the nation visa centre, which happens after your NOA2.

If you want to see what will be included in your packets then go to the "embassy info" section, look up your embassy, and there it is!

Good Luck!

Marina

Thanks! I understood your comments except for this one. When and where do you mean I should list an address I can receive mail at? And if the USC (petitioner) gets everything, what do I receive in the mail anyway?

Misunderstood if you were the USC or beneficiary - only the USC gets the NOA1&2 - once your file reaches the home country, the consulate will send the beneficiary mail to the address on the form. Make sense? lol

Look at the Step By Step for the K1 - you'll see information on the packets.

As far as the people receiving/forwarding your mail - sounds cool to me. As long as you get it.

Edited by Karin und Otto

Timeline
Misunderstood if you were the USC or beneficiary - only the USC gets the NOA1&2 - once your file reaches the home country, the consulate will send the beneficiary mail to the address on the form. Make sense? lol

As far as the people receiving/forwarding your mail - sounds cool to me. As long as you get it.

Yes, I think that makes sense now. lol. Thanks :)

(I'm the beneficiary)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, I think that makes sense now. lol. Thanks :)

(I'm the beneficiary)

Yeah I misunderstood that too! I was typing as if you were the USC! Oh well, I think you got the point anyway!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.