Kinsey

Preparing for US move...

Did you wait?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Did you wait until your visa was in your hand to make the necessary steps to move to America? Giving notice at work, booking flights, etc.

• Yes. I needed the extra time for many personal things.
    • Yes. I'm glad I did as there was a hold-up with my visa.
    • Yes. I wish I hadn't, as everything went smoothly.
    • No. I wish I had, as there was a hold-up with my visa.
    • No. I'm glad I didn't, as everything went smoothly.
    • Other. Please explain.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello all!

We just recently received our interview date, and are trying to guage what is best to do. His work has known for months that he is leaving (April-ish time we said) but he'd still like to give his formal 1-month notice. In addition, we'd like to book flights as there is a deal going and the longer we wait, the higher ticket prices get.

I was just wondering who here actually waited to do these things until the visa was in their hand, and who didn't. I'm fairly confident we shouldn't have any hang-ups, and am anxious to get back home (I'm the USC) and start working again!!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Edited by Kinsey

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I prefer to err on the safe side so I researched everything while I waited for my visa appointment and booked everything the day my visa arrived.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Timeline
I prefer to err on the safe side so I researched everything while I waited for my visa appointment and booked everything the day my visa arrived.

I agree. No major plans until after the visa is in hand.

However, we sold the house already...sold it last year, in fact. It was a great deal and we sold it and now D is living in it as a tennant for NO RENT!

Other than that, everything is as it was until the visa will be in hand. He has gotten rid of many things, but nothing life altering.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a buyer for my house before I had the interview, but I refused to exchange contracts until after I had actually received the visa. That side of things worked out well. My job however...I handed in my notice the next day (after the interview) and wished I hadn't. My visa took a month to come through and I was panicking a bit, I can tell you!

Edited by mags

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance is waiting until he gets that visa before he does anything. I mean ANYTHING. We're planning on going away to a nice bed & breakfast that does small weddings, and I was wanting to go ahead and make reservations, but he says NO. I understand him not wanting to buy a flight, just in case he doesn't get approved or it takes awhile for the visa to arrive, but it's not like the deposit will cost anything like the flight would. I think he's being stubborn, but I'm sure there would be panic if something did go wrong and flights were already bought and so forth. Also, his boss knows he's leaving, but he's at least staying on an extra week after the interview. Darn him! lol

April 21 Dave arrives in America!

April 28 WE GET MARRIED!!!

May 9 Went to SS office and was denied

May 15 After gathering all paperwork, told we must file through DORA program

July 19 DORA appointment - they send paperwork to Chicago after this.

July 24 Paperwork is received by Chicago

August 9 Notice for Biometrics appointment

August 28 NOAs for AOS/EAD

Sept 6 Biometrics

Sept 26 Email saying card production ordered for EAD.. YES!!!

Oct 9 EAD card, Yay!!!!!

Dec 31 Finally got the Resident card! Yay!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Stew's situation was a BIT different. He was living with his parents. He did tell his job he was quitting about two weeks before we were planning on him leaving. We scheduled a plane flight...umm 3 days after the interview? The interview was Fri...he flew out Tuesday. (Needed Monday to pick up the visa).

He was packed and ready to go...I actually flew home with one of his bags. I guess we just knew it would work out...and if it didn't..well we didn't really have a plan B.

I am glad we did it the way we did...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.