mendeleev

Proof of prior insurance coverage while living in Russia

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When my wife arrives in the USA, my insurance company will want some sort of "proof of prior medical insurance coverage" in order to cover any potentially preexisting conditions.

I imagine some of you married folks have encountered the same issue. My understanding is that everyone in Russia get medical services (of not very good quality, but in principle) from the government. How did you prove "prior medical insurance coverage" for your spouse?

Thanks.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
When my wife arrives in the USA, my insurance company will want some sort of "proof of prior medical insurance coverage" in order to cover any potentially preexisting conditions.

I imagine some of you married folks have encountered the same issue. My understanding is that everyone in Russia get medical services (of not very good quality, but in principle) from the government. How did you prove "prior medical insurance coverage" for your spouse?

Thanks.

By "proof of prior insurance," they usually mean in the US. In my experience, any policy asking for this will also ask for 6 months of prior US residency.

For most (all?) group polices, getting married will usually allow your spouse to be covered, including pre-existing conditions.

Medically-underwritten policies are more of a pain. Enough so, that it is probably better to get on a group policy if a t all possible.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
So does your insurance company not extend coverage to your spouse if she has had no insurance in the past, be it in Russia or the US? What is their policy for such people?

In terms of the Russian policy, it just a small piece of paper that is renewed each year. It is not given to everyone. Only official employees, pensioners, and students have them. I'm not sure what a Russian hospital does for someone who is neither of these three. But the Russian citizen pays for just about everything in a Russian hospital anyways, because of lack of state funding. For example you must bring your own medicine and syringe, and then a medical professional will administer it to you. Russia is cool in terms of all their medications can be bought at a pharmacy and is not restricted like in the US to prescription only on most useful medications.

But to answer your question, I guess you can take a copy of it, translated it and attach it as support for your insurance company, as if it really means anything to them.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I'm not sure what a Russian hospital does for someone who is neither of these three. But the Russian citizen pays for just about everything in a Russian hospital anyways, because of lack of state funding. For example you must bring your own medicine and syringe, and then a medical professional will administer it to you. Russia is cool in terms of all their medications can be bought at a pharmacy and is not restricted like in the US to prescription only on most useful medications.

My mother-in-law is a doctor in Russia (Radiology). It really is quite different there. Russia has 4 times as many doctors as the US per capita. Shortages of everything else, though.

My impression of Russian medicine is totally different from what we see in Western Europe and the US. There seemed to be much less emphasis on science, and much more emphasis on more traditional treatments. Routine checkups and tests do not seem to be normal in Russia.

For example, the usual yearly pap test doesn't exist in Russia. While it is fairly rare for anyone to die from this in the west, it is quite common in Russia.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

My insurance company does want to see continuity in medical insurance, but apparently does not require 6 months of insurance coverage in the US, as Russ indicated. Such a requirement may be illegal under Colorado law.

I am very aware of big differences between the realities of Russian and US health care delivery. That isn't quite the point here. I need to demonstrate that she, in fact, has enjoyed medical coverage. I work in a start-up, currently small, but rapidly expanding, and we don't have the HR infrastructure I used to enjoy. I've given the my interface with the health insurance company the following text from the Russian Federal Constitution and am asking what, beyond that and a copy of my wife's passport, demonstrating her Russian citizenship, I can do to demonstrate that she does, in fact, have medical insurance coverage. Here is Article 41:

"Article 41.

1. Everyone shall have the right to health care and medical assistance. Medical assistance shall be made available by state and municipal health care institutions to citizens free of charge, with the money from the relevant budget, insurance payments and other revenues.

2. The Russian Federation shall finance federal health care and health-building programs, take measures to develop state, municipal and private health care systems, encourage activities contributing to the strengthening of the man's health, to the development of physical

culture and sport, and to ecological, sanitary and epidemiologic welfare.

3. Concealment by officials of facts and circumstances posing hazards to human life and health shall involve liability in conformity with the federal law."

Aren't those nice words? Now, this doesn't show that quality of coverage is good -- but, really, often Medicaid coverage in this country isn't good, either ...

I'll ask my wife questions about just what her medical passport is.

If others have more ideas, or concrete experience on this point, please chime in.

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

Timeline
I'll ask my wife questions about just what her medical passport is.
There is really no such thing, unless you are refering to the medical file itself.

But otherwise the state insurance policy is called a "полис". Ask your wife about that. It's a small blue paper with a seal.

Timeline

When I lived in Russia, everyone I knew was covered by private insurance, and no one ever used state-funded medical care. Also, annual pap tests are more than common (well, I would know, I had them myself :D ). Also, health insurance that I was accustomed to back there, worked pretty much like a typical US HMO plan. Well, I guess, maybe not everywhere.

In terms of the Russian policy, it just a small piece of paper that is renewed each year. It is not given to everyone. Only official employees, pensioners, and students have them.

I think you may not be 100% right here - everyone has this health coverage thing. But the one I had was not a blue paper with a seal, but a plastic green card :) Gee, I don't know anything any more :) I never used it in my life, cause I was always a dependent on my father's policy, and it was private.

I suppose, it may be different in different regions. I am from Moscow, and I was told that other places in the Russian Federation were very different from Moscow in terms of medical care and everything else. Anyways, I'm aware that health insurance here may ask for proof of continuous coverage, but if you can't provide it, they should be able to administer a medical exam to determine if pre-existing conditions exist.

I hope you will be able to resolve that! Best of luck to you! :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

What you may have to do is sign a waiver saying there are no pre-existing conditions or something like that. I had to do something similar when I joined my employer's medical plan. I had no medical records to transfer over or proof of medical care (I'm sure it was out there somewhere, just didn't have it with me.) to show my H/R guy or the new insurance company. They sent me a form saying something to the effect of "I certify that I have no previous medical conditions that will affect my insurance premiums" or something like that. Then there was another line that said "I have been under the care of physician XXXXX and he/she states that I'm of a healthy standard in accordance with company XXXXX policy."

Something like that. There's got to be a way that if she's generally of good health (which she must be... she passed the medical check) they can add her on without a problem. If you haven't already called, call the new policy people at the insurance company directly instead of dealing with your "company guy."

OK, I see that you've already "interfaced" with the insurance people, and my question now is, why do they need proof that she had prior coverage? Can't she be added on? Or, does that cost more? Either way, they should have a waiver or something of that nature for those without prior coverage.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I suppose, it may be different in different regions. I am from Moscow, and I was told that other places in the Russian Federation were very different from Moscow in terms of medical care and everything else. Anyways, I'm aware that health insurance here may ask for proof of continuous coverage, but if you can't provide it, they should be able to administer a medical exam to determine if pre-existing conditions exist.
You should go visit the other regions. Go see where the 25% of the poverty stricken population lives. Moscow is truly a "country" within a country. It is so much better there than say parts of Siberia where my wife lived. Day and night on some fronts. For example private insurance is just starting up over there, but I am not aware of any private clinics that exists except the dental ones. Only the "new Russians" who are regarded that the "thieves" by the rest of population enjoy any kind of decent way of life. The transparent companies are hard to find but do exists. But corruption at the state level is rampant. The stories I here from my father in law are just amazing.

Timeline
OK, I see that you've already "interfaced" with the insurance people, and my question now is, why do they need proof that she had prior coverage? Can't she be added on?

Slim,

I'm not quite sure what is going on. In order to be accepted for full coverage without rejection of coverage for pre-existing conditions, I had to show that I did not have a gap in medical insurance. I think this is something regulated under the COBRA law and also under State law here. (I now live in Colorado. -- Yippee!)

She's in reasonably good health and as a fine woman my age (and I'm nearly 50) she probably has some conditions that a new doc would say are "pre-existing". I don't want to mess with any restrictions. I want to get her US-quality (i.e. much better quality) health care from the get-go once I get her here later this year. It appears that under Colorado law, if she can show prior coverage without a gap, than she is fully insurable as she is. Given my reading of the Russian Constitution, I think I can make a case that she in fact has benefited from insurance coverage from birth.

We'll see. I don't have to sort this out urgently, since she won't be here for awhile. After all, I don't even have NOA1 for the K3. As I get it figured out, since it may be relevant to others with Russian beneficiaries.

Edited by novotul

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

I think as long as she brings a copy of her "полис" with her (or her card, or whatever it is that shows she had insurance) you should be fine with that.

I was actually looking at my wife's "полис" just a couple of hours ago; she was going through some old papers, and she had the "old" style, just a piece of paper that said "health system coverage policy for XXXX XXXXXXXX" or something to that effect.

If your wife could bring a copy of her policy (not just the card, but maybe the card and a printout of the policy.... with translations) that should be more than enough to establish proof of prior coverage.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Given my reading of the Russian Constitution, I think I can make a case that she in fact has benefited from insurance coverage from birth.
A clever insurance company employee can also say that the Russian constitution was written in 1991 and has not covered her since birth :P Pull out the Soviet one after that, I am sure it has a similar provision.

In my opinion the whole prior insurance without a gap rule is probably referring to US insurance and might have the company scrambling since they didn't consider foreigners.

Timeline

Satellite Posted Today, 07:42 AM

QUOTE(novotul @ Mar 4 2007, 11:53 AM) *

Given my reading of the Russian Constitution, I think I can make a case that she in fact has benefited from insurance coverage from birth.

QUOTE(novotul @ Mar 4 2007, 11:53 AM) *

A clever insurance company employee can also say that the Russian constitution was written in 1991 and has not covered her since birth tongue.gif Pull out the Soviet one after that, I am sure it has a similar provision.

In my opinion the whole prior insurance without a gap rule is probably referring to US insurance and might have the company scrambling since they didn't consider foreigners.

I actually thought about that -- but them seem to be looking for proof of insurance only for the past three years :)

Edited by novotul

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand

11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Jumping in her, but similar principal, I just showed my NHS Card.

I am sure the question is for those in the US system, they just need to tick the box.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.