britty

UK Judgement for non payment of debt

31 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

When I moved to the US I settled my finances back in the UK but alas overlooked one which hasnt been paid for some time. They are now going ahead with a judgement proceeding. Has anyone had any experience of this and if so, what happens and what can I do to resolve it? What will happen if I re-enter the UK again to visit?

thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could make arrangements to pay it.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

County Court Judgments (CCJs) are civil judgments only -- if you're worried that this is something that could prevent you from re-entering the UK, it is not the sort of information the Home Office would be privy to in order to determine your admissability. (If this were so, I would have been barred from re-entry years ago! ;) ) It is a private action only and does not give you a criminal record.

However, it could affect your credit rating, even in the US. If you have the opportunity to settle this debt before it gets to the County Court I would recommend doing so. Try calling the creditor (or its collection agency) to see if you can get this resolved beforehand -- if it's a large sum, you can almost always sort out a payment plan. They want their money, and if they don't have to go to court they'll be more than pleased. (And so will you!)

(As an aside, although I trained as a lawyer, I am not practising currently and I am not holding myself out as a professional here -- only giving some friendly advice. Sorry, I have to say that!)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

How old is the debt? I'm not sure what it's like in the UK, but in the states, if you've not paid off a debt by a certain period of time (typically, 5 - 7 years) the debt is written off.

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would have significant reservations about following the notion that unpaid debts are forgiven after 5 to 7 years.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

I would have significant reservations about following the notion that unpaid debts are forgiven after 5 to 7 years.

Not forgiven -- written off.

http://www.bcsalliance.com/y_debt_sol.html <-- only for US debts, though

You should speak to an attorney or an accountant about this.

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

It will not stop you visiting the UK and it does not effect your credit score here in the US...

Kez

This used to be true in the past, but the credit scoring sgencies have improved communications these days. Some debts won't show up, but I wouldn't count on it. Best to pay them off and be done with them.

thanks everyone for the advice. I will speak with an attorney and also call the company concerned and see if I can make an arrangement to pay. Thanks again to all. Im just relieved that I wont be arrested at Heathrow if I go back to the UK!

Filed: Timeline
thanks everyone for the advice. I will speak with an attorney and also call the company concerned and see if I can make an arrangement to pay. Thanks again to all. Im just relieved that I wont be arrested at Heathrow if I go back to the UK!

I woulnd't bother calling an attorney, just call the company themselves.

It will not stop you visiting the UK and it does not effect your credit score here in the US...

Kez

This used to be true in the past, but the credit scoring sgencies have improved communications these days. Some debts won't show up, but I wouldn't count on it. Best to pay them off and be done with them.

I am not saying you should not pay off what you owe.... I work for a large International Bank and we use credit scores every day.... I can asure you that your credit history in any country other than Canada can not be accessed by any financial institution within the USA... that is why as immigrants we all start off with no credit history and no credit score... you can have the best credit history and score in your home country and it will be of no use to you here in the USA thus if you have a very poor credit rating in your country it does not follow you to the USA... if you have judgements against you for bad debt in your home country they can not be enforced here in the US...

Kez

I am not saying you should not pay off what you owe.... I work for a large International Bank and we use credit scores every day.... I can asure you that your credit history in any country other than Canada can not be accessed by any financial institution within the USA... that is why as immigrants we all start off with no credit history and no credit score... you can have the best credit history and score in your home country and it will be of no use to you here in the USA thus if you have a very poor credit rating in your country it does not follow you to the USA... if you have judgements against you for bad debt in your home country they can not be enforced here in the US...

Kez

Interesting! Is this the same for returning USC's as for new immigrants? I only ask as I'm a USC with a horrific UK credit history looking to return home later this year. (I have next to no US credit history as I left the US quite young.) My UK bank has told me in the past that they can pass my info on when I emigrate. Any chance this was yet another incidence of UK banks flexing their muscle when there is no muscle to begin with?? (Don't even get me started on the extortionate fees for going over your overdraft by a few pence for a day or two!)

If you've not been using your ss for any of your UK loans (why would you really?) then logistically, it won't be on there.

Yup then -- my bank flat out lied to me as I've never given them my SS#. Thanks HSBC for adding to my paranoia!!! :angry:

If you've not been using your ss for any of your UK loans (why would you really?) then logistically, it won't be on there.

Yup then -- my bank flat out lied to me as I've never given them my SS#. Thanks HSBC for adding to my paranoia!!! :angry:

Well, you have to wonder how they would report it, since they don't have that number, and since there could be any amount of people with the name 'Elmcitymaven Doe' in America ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.