luisa

Extending petition

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

We're getting near the expiry date of our original petition, but my (UK) fiance has only just been able to get together the results of his criminal record checks, sponsor details, etc, so he doesn't have an interview date set yet. We've both written to the US Embassy in London (I had my letter notarized) to ask them to extend the petition deadline + reaffirming our intent to marry - will this be enough to get them to do so? It doesn't really make it clear anywhere on the embassy website if this is how to request an extension, or if they automatically extend the petition if the date comes round but the visa process isn't finished. My fiance phoned their visa helpline and the person there didn't seem to know much about it, she suggested we email the embassy and we just got a reply saying the email had been deleted unread (thanks for that, embassy!). Does anyone have experience of extending their petition expiration date? Any advice would be appreciated!

- Luisa

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

We're getting near the expiry date of our original petition, but my (UK) fiance has only just been able to get together the results of his criminal record checks, sponsor details, etc, so he doesn't have an interview date set yet. We've both written to the US Embassy in London (I had my letter notarized) to ask them to extend the petition deadline + reaffirming our intent to marry - will this be enough to get them to do so? It doesn't really make it clear anywhere on the embassy website if this is how to request an extension, or if they automatically extend the petition if the date comes round but the visa process isn't finished. My fiance phoned their visa helpline and the person there didn't seem to know much about it, she suggested we email the embassy and we just got a reply saying the email had been deleted unread (thanks for that, embassy!). Does anyone have experience of extending their petition expiration date? Any advice would be appreciated!

- Luisa

Im not understanding this. When did you send your petition in? Did you actually cancel an interview and need another? Try not to worry...just provide a bit more information so we can answer your question accurately.

Edited by MRS BILLY BONG

Im not understand why a petition would "expire". Sounds like the OP is in the middle of the process being that they're gathering info. for the interview and he just obtained his criminal record.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im not understand why a petition would "expire". Sounds like the OP is in the middle of the process being that they're gathering info. for the interview and he just obtained his criminal record.

The petition has a 4 mos. validity date from the date of approval (NOA2)... why I do not know but it does.... Typically the consulate extends the petition automatically if it is actively "in process" but the question is, do you want to take the chance or make an inquiry with a request.

YMMV

The petition has a 4 mos. validity date from the date of approval (NOA2)... why I do not know but it does.... Typically the consulate extends the petition automatically if it is actively "in process" but the question is, do you want to take the chance or make an inquiry with a request.

#######..I didnt know that. If it "automatically" extends .....then whats the "chance" you're taking by doing nothing? Do you have a link where I can read up on this?

Timeline

#######..I didnt know that. If it "automatically" extends .....then whats the "chance" you're taking by doing nothing? Do you have a link where I can read up on this?

I will look to see what authoritative literature there might be, but the "typical" automatic extentions statement is based on reports of other members experiences but in reality the ability for the Consulate to extend a petition is solely at there discretion.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

I will look to see what authoritative literature there might be, but the "typical" automatic extentions statement is based on reports of other members experiences but in reality the ability for the Consulate to extend a petition is solely at there discretion.

Well if they were stupid enough to not auto extend then there would be A LOT of people redoing their petitions because many interview dates are over four months from the initial filing.

Timeline
Well if they were stupid enough to not auto extend then there would be A LOT of people redoing their petitions because many interview dates are over four months from the initial filing.

and your point is? because people's experience is exactly that, that if the petition is actively in process they do typically auto extend. The question becomes however if a petitioner does not keep the consulate informed about there activity, they run the risk of the consulate beliveing the petition has become "stale" and having it returned to NVC....

YMMV

and your point is? because people's experience is exactly that, that if the petition is actively in process they do typically auto extend. The question becomes however if a petitioner does not keep the consulate informed about there activity, they run the risk of the consulate beliveing the petition has become "stale" and having it returned to NVC....

Sorry let me clarify my point: Wouldnt every petitioner need to FILE for an extension unless they zipped through the system (NOA1 to VISA in hand) in under 4 months? Do you think you yourself will file the paperwork for an extension or take the chance of auto extension. Just wondering if this is something I should do as well. Let me know if you are having a hard time understand my point.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.