vnoe

ok...a couple of questions from a worrier...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all it is in my nature to worry.

I posted yesterday and received an answer, I did call NVC and they told me my packet was sent to the US Consulate in Vancouver on the 23rd. OK that is good news....phew...

Now I am wondering when they tell you that you need a physician appt (I already have one scheduled for Apr 12, by the approved DR)...do I need the results before I fax my checklist in???

Also I've heard that I need originals and photocopies of BC, Divorce papers...and everything else. Well do the photocopies have to be notarized? do they have to have a stamp on them saying "certified copies? or anything like that??? I would hate to be at the Consulate and not have all my ducks in a row. It has been an incredibly long journey and I would love for the end to be in sight.

OK...one other thing. We are fortunate as we live on the border of each other. But, I work in Canada....now after we marry I have heard that I can not return to Canada for a certain period of time....why? What if I have a job there? Do I have to take a leave of absence? Or how can I apply to work in the USA? I enjoy working and I know I still need to contribute some $$$ to live on.

Now if anyone has any information I would certainly appreciate your help!!!

Thanks again

Vicki

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Not sure on the first part, BUT, you have to be in the US after the marriage. You file for advanced parole with the AOS application. That takes around 3 months I think to come in. To work in the US, you also apply for the EAD at time of AOS. Again, around 3 months and then you can legally work here. When you get your greencard, then you can also leave the US and work without AP or EAD. I know its frusterating, especially since you live so close to the border!!!

First of all it is in my nature to worry.

I posted yesterday and received an answer, I did call NVC and they told me my packet was sent to the US Consulate in Vancouver on the 23rd. OK that is good news....phew...

Now I am wondering when they tell you that you need a physician appt (I already have one scheduled for Apr 12, by the approved DR)...do I need the results before I fax my checklist in???

Also I've heard that I need originals and photocopies of BC, Divorce papers...and everything else. Well do the photocopies have to be notarized? do they have to have a stamp on them saying "certified copies? or anything like that??? I would hate to be at the Consulate and not have all my ducks in a row. It has been an incredibly long journey and I would love for the end to be in sight.

OK...one other thing. We are fortunate as we live on the border of each other. But, I work in Canada....now after we marry I have heard that I can not return to Canada for a certain period of time....why? What if I have a job there? Do I have to take a leave of absence? Or how can I apply to work in the USA? I enjoy working and I know I still need to contribute some $$$ to live on.

Now if anyone has any information I would certainly appreciate your help!!!

Thanks again

Vicki

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you have gathered all the rest of the required documents you will need for the interview, you can go ahead and fax in your checklist. Just be aware that if you get an interview date before you have had your medical exam, you will not get your approval. The results of the medical exam need to be available to the Consulate before your interview. So, if you send in your checklist now, and then find out your interview is before April 12 (date of your medical), you can either cancel that interview and request another one, or go to the interview knowing that you will not get approved that day, and then wait until the consulate receives the medical results, and then take your passport back to the Consulate to get your visa put in it.

I'm not sure how soon you will be able to get an interview date once you send the checklist in, but you could email them and ask how far out they are booking interviews before you send in your checklist to see if you might get an interview date before your medical exam date or not.

You need to take the original documents to the interview with you, along with a photocopy which does not need to be notarized or stamped. They will look at the originals, give them back to you, and keep the photocopies for your file.

You will not be able to travel back to Canada after you enter the U.S. and marry until you either have your AP (Advance Parole) document or you have your Green Card (AOS approval).

Good luck with your journey.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I'm not sure how soon you will be able to get an interview date once you send the checklist in, but you could email them and ask how far out they are booking interviews before you send in your checklist to see if you might get an interview date before your medical exam date or not.

Hey, I was just wondering: would it then be ok to simply send the check list and include a note saying "medical exam booked for xyz date". That way, consulate will schedule interview for the first available date after that. It might shorten the waiting time if you have to reschedule interview. Does that make sense?

raymaga, you know a lot. what do you say?

good luck vicki - nice name, btw ;).... hope dates work out for you with no hiccups

vik

nice name, isn't it ;)

Edited by ausqueen

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Vancouver checklist has a line for requested date so one can request it for the day after the medical if that's a concern. They are booking interviews about 6 weeks after receipt of checklist (they will send packet 4 within days of receiving your checklist and other required documents when you return your checklist by fax).

And the others are right about you not being able to travel back and forth on a K1 unless you have AP or AOS (not even sure if AP is multiple entry or not). K1s are single entry visas.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all I would like to put out a huge THANKS to all of you that replied.

I will fax my list in right away when I get it from them, fingers crossed and hope like heck nothing goes wrong... :whistle:

Like I said I'm lucky cause we are together most of the time anyways, simply because of our location....but waiting waiting waiting is tiresome...especially since I have 5 y.o. twins that I want to put in school in the USA this fall!!!

This website has been so chalk full of information...

BTW...I like the name VIK too!!!

Thanks again...I will be on here lots from now on just to keep up with things.

Vicki

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.