Hibara

Kind of complicated story.. ideas appreciated~

106 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

At the moment, I'm a 15 year old Australian girl engaged to a 20 year old US citizen. I'll be turning 16 on the 13th of April, and I'm wondering how I can go about getting a visa to be able to live with him. When I turn 16, I'll be legal in my country, and also in his state. To get married we'll need consent from my parents, which is no problem, as they've already agreed. I know it sounds controversial, but I'm really worried about which visa path I take, because I don't want to screw anything up for myself and not be able to come over to the US.

Also, my father said he called the American consulate here and said that since I have no work experience and no skills, I don't have a much of a chance of attaining any visa. I'm actually curious to know if this is true or if he's lying to me. Sorry to be so dramatic, I'm just kind of in a pickle here. Advice/suggestions very welcome!

Additionally, if anyone knows about the total fees they've had to pay and how long it took them, that kind of information would be really great too. :help:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont get cover contraversial part of this, Im sure you will get enough of that from the other people here.

Work experience and education are not considered in family imigration visa such as the K-1. They are considered for other types of visas.

You need to be considered legally able to marry. Even though 16 is the legal age in some places for marriage, you might run into issues with that. Waiting another two years until your 18 before starting this process might be a good idea. There may come questions about the legitamcy of the relationship since you are still not considered an adult. It wont be very fun to wait 6 months or more for the interview and pay all the fees only to get denied because of your age.

You need to have met each other within the two years prior to filing the I-129F form. You will need to provide proof of the meeting. Anything from photos, to reciepts to boarding passes will help.

Your fiance (or willing co-sponsor) will need to be also prove that he/she makes 125% of the poverty guidlines. Or has enough assets to meet that level for 3-5 years.

Fees total about $1000+ over the whole process, but not all of it has to be paid at once. It is proposed that the fees will increase in 2008. Inital filing is $170. Visa interview and medical could cost $200+ depending if vaccinations are needed. AOS after you get stateside is $500-$800 depending if you decide to file for AP and EAD as well. later on, you will have to pay a fee for removal of condtions, but thats two years after the AOS.

Edited by datasage

keTiiDCjGVo

I wont get cover contraversial part of this, Im sure you will get enough of that from the other people here.

Work experience and education are not considered in family imigration visa such as the K-1. They are considered for other types of visas.

You need to be considered legally able to marry. Even though 16 is the legal age in some places for marriage, you might run into issues with that. Waiting another two years until your 18 before starting this process might be a good idea. There may come questions about the legitamcy of the relationship since you are still not considered an adult. It wont be very fun to wait 6 months or more for the interview and pay all the fees only to get denied because of your age.

You need to have met each other within the two years prior to filing the I-129F form. You will need to provide proof of the meeting. Anything from photos, to reciepts to boarding passes will help.

Your fiance (or willing co-sponsor) will need to be also prove that he/she makes 125% of the poverty guidlines. Or has enough assets to meet that level for 3-5 years.

Fees total about $1000+ over the whole process, but not all of it has to be paid at once. It is proposed that the fees will increase in 2008. Inital filing is $170. Visa interview and medical could cost $200+ depending if vaccinations are needed. AOS after you get stateside is $500-$800 depending if you decide to file for AP and EAD as well. later on, you will have to pay a fee for removal of condtions, but thats two years after the AOS.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

At the moment, I'm a 15 year old Australian girl engaged to a 20 year old US citizen. I'll be turning 16 on the 13th of April, and I'm wondering how I can go about getting a visa to be able to live with him. When I turn 16, I'll be legal in my country, and also in his state. To get married we'll need consent from my parents, which is no problem, as they've already agreed. I know it sounds controversial, but I'm really worried about which visa path I take, because I don't want to screw anything up for myself and not be able to come over to the US.

Also, my father said he called the American consulate here and said that since I have no work experience and no skills, I don't have a much of a chance of attaining any visa. I'm actually curious to know if this is true or if he's lying to me. Sorry to be so dramatic, I'm just kind of in a pickle here. Advice/suggestions very welcome!

Additionally, if anyone knows about the total fees they've had to pay and how long it took them, that kind of information would be really great too.

Hibara, I'm sure several people have told you that this is a really young age to get married AND move to the other side of the world. Please read the immigrant experiences of people who have come to the USA in the "moving here and your new life in America" part of this forum. You are going to change a LOT over the next years, and while there is every chance that this guy will still be right for you when you are a few years older, there is also every chance that you'll have a whole different idea of who and where you want to be. If you can wait a couple of years, your application process will be easier and you'll know yourself a lot better. If you must be together now, perhaps the thing to do will be to pursue a visa that allows you to be in the USA without making a lifetime commitment quite yet. You probably cannot get an immigrant visa without getting married or engaged, but there are some ways you could visit the USA on a nonimmigrant visa, sometimes for quite a long time. An immigrant visa of any sort will take from several months to a year to apply for and receive. Non-immigrant visas are generally cheaper and faster to get. Here are the options that I see for you, depending on what your finances are (and perhaps others on this forum, especially those with Australian experience, will have some great tips, too):

You can just go for a long visit if you have a new, machine-readable Australian passport. You do not need a visa if you plan to stay in the USA for less than 90 days.

You can try to get a student visa and study in the USA. There are several different types of student visas, depending on how much/what kind of studying you are doing. Have you finished high school? You could look into exchange programs with US high schools or you could consider studying at a US college or university. The cost of tuition will be more expensive than if you are a permanent US resident, but you may be able to find scholarship money or grants to help fund your studies.

You can get married in Australia and then pursue what is called a CR1 (immigrant) visa

You can apply for a K1 (fiancee) visa and then get married in the USA within three months of arrival

You can apply for a B-2 visa (a non-immigrant visitor visa) to stay for a visit of more than 90 days, but probably less than 6 months. This may be an option if you want to study something as a part-time student just a few hours a week.

Edited by malka

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think the school-route may be a great option: there are lots of exchange programs out there if you do some thorough internet research. That way, you can come to the US, get to know your fiance even better, and not worry about judgmental immigration officers slowing you down. Plus you'll get a great, diverse education. Everyone's a winner. And you get some time to still grow up and enjoy being young and in love, but without the responsibilities of marriage.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

I would strong consider the student visa's. You know yourself, so its up to you to decide on marriage. With the student visa though you are not locked into anything permanent, you two can get engaged and married when it is right for you, not because this fiance visa process locks you into a timeline. The only thing to watch out for, is with some ( I believe its J-2) you might have to remain in Australia after the visa for 2 years. If you go student visa route, talk with the exchange program and try to get onto one that does not have this requirement. Not all J's require it though (my fiance was on it, but was not subject ot the 2 year requirement).

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

change the font color kid, I can not read whatever you typed down . Please help our eyes.

I-129F sent and recieved by USCIS on Feb 16th, 2007-Also I fly to Vietnam to see my fiancee on today. This is the 4th times I have flied to vietnam within a year time frame. I miss her.

02-20-2007 check cashed

02-22-2007 NOA1 hard copy

02-24-2007 Touched

03-01-2007 Touched

03-02-2007 Touched

03-07-2007 NOA2 by email .

03-11-2007 Touched

03-12-2007 NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

03-20-2007 NVC sent my package to HCMC embassy

03-24-2007 HCMC Embassy received my package

03-30-2007 My fiancee received her packet 3

03-31-2007 My fiancee dropped off Packet 3 at the Embassy.

05-17-2007 Wedding Ceremony at Sinhdoi Restaurante

06-27-2007 Recieved Packet 4

07-20-2007 Interview Date

Timeline

I'm not sure how the laws work and I'm sure you two have looked into the issue....but isn't it illegal to be in a relationship with someone who is older than you by more than 18 months if you are under 18 years of age? Or is it only illegal to have sexual relations with people of that age gap? Maybe it depends on the type of relationship... The only reason I mention it is that obviously if your relationship is illegal you would come into problems with the immigration. I know that you can marry if your parents consent at the age of 16 in most states but is that only if both parties are at certain ages?

Just to give you a better idea of the ideas about studying abroad: I studied abroad while in university and had friends that studied abroad in high school and it was an amazing experience for everyone. All of my friends that studied abroad in high school really enjoyed the experience and say that it was the best thing they have ever done. They were also going to countries where they did not originally speak the language and they still really enjoyed the experience. I studied abroad in London and it was a really great time. And I'm living in London now as well through a work abroad visa so that I can be with my Australian fiance (who is living in London) while we wait to get our K-1. Anyway, studying abroad is a great opportunity to really get to know who you are and spend time with your fiance. You didn't mention it in the previous post and I'm just curious, have you and your fiance met in person?

Another idea is this: the visa that I am using to live in London is also available for Australia. Anyone under the age of 30 can get this visa and all they have to do is apply. It works for 4 months in Australia and gives the US citizen the abilities to work and live in Australia during that time. Your fiance could get this visa for 4 months probably pretty easily...maybe over the summer (US summer!) or something.... If you want more information on the visa you can message me and I'd be happy to send it to you.

Good Luck!

Marina

Timeline

Sex would be the illegal part - but it depends on the age of majority in the particular state or country. Generally, the age of consent in US states is 18.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Along the lines of what MSU says...come over...meet him, spend time with him...see if it's REALLY what you want.

Try Camp Counselor USA. It's an exchange program where you come over and work at a summer camp on a J visa...

You can't be finished with HS yet can you??

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I forgot about BUNAC! Good call Marina! I did the program this last summer. Your American boyfriend can look into this option. 4 months in Australia and I think a year in New Zealand. Its a fairly inexpensive visa and really easy to get. Not sure on how old you need to be to apply to come here for a summer to work.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline
I forgot about BUNAC! Good call Marina! I did the program this last summer. Your American boyfriend can look into this option. 4 months in Australia and I think a year in New Zealand. Its a fairly inexpensive visa and really easy to get. Not sure on how old you need to be to apply to come here for a summer to work.

Yeah I think you have to be between the ages of 18-30...and the rules for each country are different based on who can get them. For instance, to come to the UK you had to have been a student in the past 6 months -that's how I am here. But to go to Australia you do not have to be a student. Australians can also use Bunac to go to the US, but I'm not sure what the qualifications are for that...but you can check it out on www.bunac.org. Like they said, it's really inexpensive...only costing me $200USD to be here for 6 months...and since I'm working it was easily paid for! Anyway, it's a good option. The camp counselor idea sounds good as well!!!

Filed: Timeline

thanks for all your help. the student visas though are out of the question, since i've had to drop out of school since my seperated parents started having problems - basically my mom was moving in with her boyfriend so she kicked me out, at which point i moved in with my dad, but since he's in and out of hospital a lot, i've been switched back and forth between places for months now, and it's incredibly hard to stay in school when you're moving from one end of the country to the opposite end and then back again. i've tried home school too, but the motivation to do it is just so little. my boyfriend and i have met in real life, and he's coming back here to see me in mid march, but only for two weeks because of work restrictions. he works for his dad's company and under his brother in two separate jobs, so if he were to quit or miss out on too much work and get fired, there'd be a lot of family issues around, and i don't want to put that on him.

the CR1 visa sounded like my best option, since my boyfriend and i have considered getting him to come over here in april for about a week to get married if it's possible. does anyone have any more information on it?

p.s. sorry about the font. :whistle:

Edited by Hibara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I hate to be harsh but...I'd really try to finish school. Without a high school degree, where are you going to work once employment authorized? McDonald's doesn't pay that well, and I say that as someone who dropped out of college and it's hard enough finding decent work without a college degree. Doesn't Australia have something similar to the GED? The poverty line looks good, but I'm with both of us being above poverty level it's hard to keep afloat. I don't know how anyone survives on that.

thanks for all your help. the student visas though are out of the question, since i've had to drop out of school since my seperated parents started having problems - basically my mom was moving in with her boyfriend so she kicked me out, at which point i moved in with my dad, but since he's in and out of hospital a lot, i've been switched back and forth between places for months now, and it's incredibly hard to stay in school when you're moving from one end of the country to the opposite end and then back again. i've tried home school too, but the motivation to do it is just so little. my boyfriend and i have met in real life, and he's coming back here to see me in mid march, but only for two weeks because of work restrictions. he works for his dad's company and under his brother in two separate jobs, so if he were to quit or miss out on too much work and get fired, there'd be a lot of family issues around, and i don't want to put that on him.

the CR1 visa sounded like my best option, since my boyfriend and i have considered getting him to come over here in april for about a week to get married if it's possible. does anyone have any more information on it?

p.s. sorry about the font. :whistle:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.