misa

Who else made plans before visa in hand?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I made so many decisions under the impression that the K1 would come through in 6 months or less. Applied to USCIS March 30, 2006. Quit job June 1. Had wedding planned and ended up just doing a "Social celebration" with nothing legal because the K1 didn't come through yet. I've been off work for 9 months now and I JUST got the visa yesterday. I was shocked at how long it took, especially to get an interview. I would still be waiting but I called the congresswoman for our area and she made a call to Montreal. Voila, interview! Anyway, I would recommend NOT to make any plans until you have the K1 in your hand. It's too unpredictable.

Holy geez you waited a long time! Glad you finally got your visa! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Would I recommend it? Nope! Too many things can go wrong nowadays.

Just wanted to quote this for emphasis. It did end up working for me (thankfully) but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was a nervous wreck before and during the consular interview!

I wasn't nervous at all, which was very uncharacteristic for me, especially considering what we were planning to do. But no, I definitely do not recommend the timeline I followed -- for one, it is not possible anymore (no more same-day visas!), and it really and truly is way too risky.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ideally, the idea was to have everything sorted out for the summer... that way, the kids would finish school here in Canada, and be ready to register for the US school system for the new school year... Figured filing the I129F in January would work towards that... unfortunately, the CSC will take up any leeway time that I had tried to factor in... Oh well... The "saving grace" is that we will go through the Vancouver Embassy, which hopefully will put things back on track.

Irregardless, I don't plan to give notice and quite my job or put the house on the market until I have visa in hand.

We'll see how it goes.

:)

June 3 - Mailed N-400, Application for Naturalization.

June 8 - Received email with Receipt Number.

June 11 - Biometrics appointment letter mailed out (June 30 at 1PM)

June 30 - Biometrics.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh my god, all the things that could go wrong!!! AHHHH!!

I am waiting on an interview date from Montreal, I have my wedding already planned fro August 18, church booked, reception site, relatives planning on coming. I may have to do Jashley's "social" celebration if I don't have my visa in hand. Anyone have any other alternatives if I don't have it by the assigned date?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh my god, all the things that could go wrong!!! AHHHH!!

I am waiting on an interview date from Montreal, I have my wedding already planned fro August 18, church booked, reception site, relatives planning on coming. I may have to do Jashley's "social" celebration if I don't have my visa in hand. Anyone have any other alternatives if I don't have it by the assigned date?

i hear ya sister! looks like my planned wedding in May (everything is booked!) will not involve the signing of any papers that day....and to think ... we applied for this K1 visa last April!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I'm alright.

I've seen what some of you have been going through so I'm just taking my time.

I'm not leaving Canada until my daughter leaves for University, figure that gives me a couple months leeway. I'm scared to death to make any solid plans until I actually have the visa.

The way things are going right now, I might not get out till next year. :lol:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess we made plans ahead!! Got married (courthouse) in March, then submitted paperwork!! I had previously told my employer I wanted to be out by Xmas 2004, which at first they balked at, but evenetually agreed to let me out!! We figured it would take 6 months, which luckily it did!!! Visa process seemed to be a bit faster back then. If we hadn't hasd the visa by Xmas 2004, i would have just chilled in Canada until the interview, wasn't overly concerned!! Oh, damn, sucks to be me, stuck in Canada with electricity, running water and Tim hortons, lol I guess after travelling throughout the world and seeing some pretty nasty living conditions, I have a different view of things.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.