girlafraid7

What information is stored in your passport when you get to customs?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This information may already be in some thread but I can't find it.

My husband is from Spain. On all of our other trips to the states, he simply said vacation as his reason for coming. No problem. But now that we are married and have filed K3, when passport control swipes his passport, will they automatically know he is filing K3 (i.e. intending to eventually immigrate)? He obviously will not move to the states until he is legal, but I have been told that when trying to visit your spouse in the US, it's best to talk as little as possible to the passport agent to try enter easily. Hmm this sounds shady. I mean that he would just say, "I'm here on vacation" like all the other times, which would be true, as he would leave after a few weeks.

My question is....will his passport tell the passport control agent that he is now married, to an American, and that he has a pending immigration visa, thus giving passport control reason to deny him?

Or even though we are from a visa waiver program country, should we apply for some other tourist visa in Madrid to cover all our bases?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Married 3/31/07

DCF Madrid-04/22/07

Green Card Granted 5/29/07

DH arrived in USA to live with me for good! 6/3/07

Filing for removal of conditions by 5/29/09

Baby girl due on 5/17/09

Were you not satisfied with the answers you already received?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry729680

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
This information may already be in some thread but I can't find it.

My husband is from Spain. On all of our other trips to the states, he simply said vacation as his reason for coming. No problem. But now that we are married and have filed K3, when passport control swipes his passport, will they automatically know he is filing K3 (i.e. intending to eventually immigrate)? He obviously will not move to the states until he is legal, but I have been told that when trying to visit your spouse in the US, it's best to talk as little as possible to the passport agent to try enter easily. Hmm this sounds shady. I mean that he would just say, "I'm here on vacation" like all the other times, which would be true, as he would leave after a few weeks.

My question is....will his passport tell the passport control agent that he is now married, to an American, and that he has a pending immigration visa, thus giving passport control reason to deny him?

Or even though we are from a visa waiver program country, should we apply for some other tourist visa in Madrid to cover all our bases?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Answer honestly - my wife came to visit over Christmas from France, and she had a K-3 in process. They asked what she was doing, she said visiting her husband. They said why do you not live with him, she said I'm still working in Paris and my paperwork is still in process. They let her in.

Of course, every case is different.... I'd avoid giving up any unecessary info, i.e. I'd just say vacation like you mentioned, and then give more info if asked.

Also, search the forums, you'll find lots of other advice, mostly centered around proving ties to the home country (i.e. a lease in Spain, a return ticket, something showing commitments back there that would make him certain to go back).

All that being said, they may still turn him away at the border if they feel he is at risk of staying. As far as I can tell, he is not at all breaking the law by coming, but it is ultimately up to the discretion of whichever officer takes his passport at the POE.

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

Were you not satisfied with the answers you already received?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry729680

JenT--Yes I asked a similar question before....this is more specific. If anyone knows what information they see in your passport. And by the way, the other responses seemed contradictory to yours. So I guess, no I wasn't satisfied.

Thanks for posting.

Married 3/31/07

DCF Madrid-04/22/07

Baby girl due on 5/17/09

Yes, they will know that a K3 is pending.

Hope it works out.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yes, they will know that a K3 is pending.

Hope it works out.

Are you sure about that? I know someone here on VJ who is in a K-3 process who can visit frequently. Normally they would say they were visiting family but last time they said they were visiting their spouse and got a bunch of additional questions about their spouse and the process. They were also asked something by the person taking boarding passes at the airport gate.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Are you sure about that? I know someone here on VJ who is in a K-3 process who can visit frequently. Normally they would say they were visiting family but last time they said they were visiting their spouse and got a bunch of additional questions about their spouse and the process. They were also asked something by the person taking boarding passes at the airport gate.

Who you talking about? ;)

As far as I know, the information isn't tied into your passport yet if USCIS doesn't have your passport information. At least it wasn't in my case until the last time where I was flagged as a K3 applicant because I told them I was and explained everything. And I had (and always do have) evidence of ties to Canada that I'm returning.

Oh, and it was the United ticket clerk that asked me where I was living after he scanned my passport, but that was when I was going back home.

Only one more visit and this time, I have the interview letter with date on it too. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

As far as I know, the information isn't tied into your passport yet if USCIS doesn't have your passport information. At least it wasn't in my case until the last time where I was flagged as a K3 applicant because I told them I was and explained everything. And I had (and always do have) evidence of ties to Canada that I'm returning.

Oh, and it was the United ticket clerk that asked me where I was living after he scanned my passport, but that was when I was going back home.

Only one more visit and this time, I have the interview letter with date on it too. :)

THanks for sharing your experience. I am weighing whether it is worth it to buy the tickets to come over since I don't have faith in my husband's level of English to be able to explain all this without any problem, especially under pressure. And especially since, if he doesn't get in, we have no wedding and we tell all 200 people to go home. Sounds so risky to me. Let's just hope we get everything approved beforehand so I don't need to keep having nightmares about talking to passport control!

Married 3/31/07

DCF Madrid-04/22/07

Baby girl due on 5/17/09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
THanks for sharing your experience. I am weighing whether it is worth it to buy the tickets to come over since I don't have faith in my husband's level of English to be able to explain all this without any problem, especially under pressure. And especially since, if he doesn't get in, we have no wedding and we tell all 200 people to go home. Sounds so risky to me. Let's just hope we get everything approved beforehand so I don't need to keep having nightmares about talking to passport control!

Yeah, every situation is different and it's never 100% guaranteed. There are many who visit with no problems but also many who do get pulled into secondary and denied. Even with proof of ties, etc., I'm well aware that I could still be denied entry on my next visit since the officer at the POE has the final say.

If I was in your situation, I don't think I would risk it a visit centred around such a large event like that.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh, I don't know... Maybe someone in a similar situation as you...? :whistle::hehe:

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.